Passport question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by flutterby824, May 10, 2014.

  1. flutterby824

    flutterby824 Earning My Ears

    Oct 24, 2010
    Should I get the Passport book or card or both? Do we need them for a 4 night Bahama cruise? Newbie here!:confused3
  2. MouseMomx2

    MouseMomx2 DIS Veteran

    Nov 10, 2006
    My advice is to get passports and get the books. Technically you only need a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID to cruise on an itinerary that starts and ends in the US, as a 4-day does. That said, should you encounter an issues while out of the country and end up needing to fly home you will need a passport.

    We will not travel outside of the US without passports. We all have the books. The card is good for land and seaport entry into the US from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean only. It is not valid for air travel. It will do nothing for you that a birth certificate and photo ID can't do.

    Happy sailing!
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

    to hide this advert.
  4. PrincessShmoo

    PrincessShmoo DIS veteran

    Feb 12, 2009
    The minimum requirement for US citizens on a closed loop cruise (beginning and ending in the same US port, on the same ship, going to only Western hemisphere ports) is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID card).

    Do you NEED a passport? Not necessarily, but if there were to be a reason that you would need to fly between a foreign port and the US (medical/emergencies/whatever), you must have a passport (book).

    If you opt for the card instead of the book, you're just spending money you don't really need to, as it doesn't get you anything above what the birth certificate/photo ID combo gets you.

    If you're going to get the book, you don't really need the card. Although some people get both.

    Your call.
  5. Thnlk

    Thnlk DIS Veteran

    Oct 25, 2010
    I have both. I carry the passport card as ID in my wallet.
  6. OKW Lover

    OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

    Apr 29, 2004
    A passport card is only useful for traveling to Canada or Mexico from the US by land.

    A passport book can be used for travel to any other country by any means of transport.
  7. Freesia123

    Freesia123 DIS Veteran

    Mar 30, 2013
    Get the regular passport!!

Share This Page