Passport question

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by Saz72, May 8, 2010.

  1. Saz72

    Saz72 Mouseketeer

    Aug 18, 2005
    Hi all,

    Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, but a question about my passport, and going to Florida in Sept this year.
    I got married a couple of years ago, but have not updated my surname on my passport as when I phoned up to do this (thinking it was quick and easy) I was told it would cost the same as getting a new passport (nearly £80 I think), and my old passport has 6 years left on it, so I didnt want to waste the money. The guy at the passport office said that as long as I booked all trips in my unmarried name, then it would be fine, but I am getting nervous about being able to prove who I am, as my passport does not tally up with anything in my purse, as all cards and driving licence are in my new name.
    Do you think I should take my birth certificate or similar, and also do you know if I should apply for ESTA in my old name, or married one?

  2. 2Tiggies

    2Tiggies Near to Tigger's House

    Sep 21, 2009
    It won't do any harm to take your birth certificate but I find it unlikely that you will be asked for it. I used a passport in my maiden name when I was first married and just made sure that my travel arrangements were done to match the passport I was using. Your passport IS your official ID so you won't be asked to verify this with bank cards etc ..... but it MUST be the same as the name on your travel itinerary - EXACTLY the same.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. barnaby1

    barnaby1 Mouseketeer

    Dec 5, 2007
    I travel in my married name for the same reason. I book my flight tickets in my maiden name but everything else is in my married name, except annual park passes which need passport ID. In 6 years I have never had any problems.
  5. babystar

    babystar DIS Veteran

    Jul 8, 2007
    I have travelled on my maiden name passport into the states at least 3 times, I have said that I am married (as they have asked me) and that is all that comes of it.

    I have got a visa in my passport and dont want to have to mess around with that, so that is the reason I will be sticking to my maiden name passport for at least 3 more years.
  6. Saz72

    Saz72 Mouseketeer

    Aug 18, 2005
    Thanks for your replies.

    Does my ESTA have to match my passport aswell??
  7. disney_princess_85

    disney_princess_85 DIS Veteran

    Jan 11, 2009
    Yes, your ESTA must match your passport.
  8. starrysky

    starrysky DIS Veteran

    Mar 31, 2009
    I travelled last year on my maiden name passport and had no problems with the ESTA either.

    Even my KTTW card had my maiden name on it.

    This year will be the first time I will have a passport in my married name as my old one has run out.
    No one asked me for other id or to prove my id with anything other than my passport.
  9. mollies_mum

    mollies_mum DIS Veteran

    May 2, 2007
    I was in the same position as you, I carried my marriage certificate with me just in case but was never asked for it,
    Have a great time :goodvibes
  10. DjdBrit

    DjdBrit DIS Veteran

    Oct 23, 2007
    I have had to deal with this before since I too didn't want to pay to update a passport that had many years left on it. The immigrations guys even told me that legally you don't have to change your name. If you are making any plans or reservation that require a name use the exact name that is in your passport. This way your ID will match with your reservations.
  11. tinks_1989

    tinks_1989 <font color=teal>need a <b>like</b> button<br><fon

    Jan 31, 2007
    We booked our trip before we were sure we would be getting married before our flights are in my maiden name but my passport is in my married name I rang our airline and they said to bring my wedding certificate and I also have it writing from them that is what they suggested
  12. christinasmum

    christinasmum Earning My Ears

    Aug 23, 2009
    Hi, I have travelled for the last 7 years with my passport still in my maiden name, been to a few countries including the US and never been questioned, I just always have to remember to book ticket in my maiden name.

    Really should be no problem.. enjoy your trip!

Share This Page