Passport or no Passport

PleaseStandClear95

Earning My Ears
Hello all -

I am trying to make the decision to buy passports for my family for the cruise. I have one and I think it would be a good idea for my wife to go ahead and get one.

The question is what about my 3 kids (9, 6, and 19 months at time of sailing). I almost hate to spend $100 on a passport that is only good for 5 years and may not be used again until after that...

any comments, suggestions?

thanks - chris

Hello all -

I am trying to make the decision to buy passports for my family for the cruise. I have one and I think it would be a good idea for my wife to go ahead and get one.

The question is what about my 3 kids (9, 6, and 19 months at time of sailing). I almost hate to spend $100 on a passport that is only good for 5 years and may not be used again until after that...

any comments, suggestions?

thanks - chris

Not that it's that big of a difference, but the kids passport book will only be $85. I would not recommend getting a passport card for them if the only reason you would get one is for the cruise. The only thing the card gives you is a card to carry instead of their certified birth certificate. It doesn't give you any of the protection that a passport book does. Passports are not required at this time for this sailing, however they are strongly recommended. If something were to go wrong and you needed to fly home from Nassau, you would need the passport book to do so right away.

I was under the impression that you at least had to have a passport card for adults, for a DCL, right? Or did I miss something?

I was under the impression that you at least had to have a passport card for adults, for a DCL, right? Or did I miss something?

That is not correct. Passport cards give you absolutely no extra protection from a birth certificate and photo ID. You don't need to have anything more than that to cruise on a closed loop cruise, which is what this is. If you have problems and need to fly home from Nassau, the passport card won't do you any good then either. The only thing that would help in that situation is a passport book, which is strongly recommended by DCL though not required.

the kids passport book will only be $85....you would need the passport book to do so right away.

The only thing that would help in that situation is a passport book

Repeat after me:

There is no such thing as a "passport book."

What you are referring to is defined by the State Department as a passport. The limited use version of the latter is labeled a passport card. "Passport book" is junk jargon that somehow evolved on the DIS and does nothing but confuse people who are just learning about travel documentation.

What you are referring to is defined by the State Department as a passport. The limited use version of the latter is labeled a passport card. "Passport book" is junk jargon that somehow evolved on the DIS and does nothing but confuse people who are just learning about travel documentation.

That is incorrect. See link to state department.

US Department of State refers to a passport as a passport book. :confused3

Repeat after me:

A passport is called a passport book to differentiate between a passport and a passport card. And as the links show, it is what the US Department of State refers to it as. It is meant to clarify the situation NOT to confuse people.

That is incorrect.[/URL]

A passport is called a passport book to differentiate between a passport and a passport card. And as the links show, it is what the US Department of State refers to it as. It is meant to clarify the situation NOT to confuse people.

Nice try, see the below main passport page and have fun finding "book" anywhere on the page. And note that the actual applications for a passport don't use the term "book" either.

http://http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Chris (Please stand clear)

Welcome to the DIS boards. I see you are new here..

Tracy is the resident expert when it comes to anything related to DCL and all the rules of travel, etc.. and there is a reason she has been assigned the podcast cruise by Dreams Unlimited for the second time.

You can count on Tracy to always give up to the date accurate information. If she doesn't know she will tell you she doesn't know and will contact DCL for the correct info, verify it again and then share the info. If something changes she makes a point on coming back and making sure you have the new info. The information she is providing you concerning passports is spot on and up to date. Trust her and you are good to go:)

Are you going on the cruise with us?

Repeat after me:

Nice try, see the below main passport page and have fun finding "book" anywhere on the page. And note that the actual applications for a passport don't use the term "book" either.

As someone who just stumbled into this conversation....this seems a bit snarky for no apparent reason..

Repeat after me:

Wow...snarky much?

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't respond like that when someone's offering assistance...I mean, call me crazy, but I think that response was a little uncalled for...

I actually googled the term passport book and found it listed as such on some pretty official websites...none of which were the DIS. I might suggest doing some research before snarking back at someone who does actually know what she's talking about and is trying to help...

I actually googled the term passport book and found it listed as such on some pretty official websites...none of which were the DIS. I might suggest doing some research before snarking back at someone who does actually know what she's talking about and is trying to help...
I don't know, Brandie. I find the DIS to be the ultimate resourse in my vacation planning so I trust basically what is here. :goodvibes

Repeat after me:

After a 30 second search on travel.state.gov site, I was able to find this doc -- http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf which compares the U.S. PASSPORT BOOK to the U.S. PASSPORT CARD. It includes validity, size, and cost. Hopefully that will help the OP (and prove you should never question the judge of ASKTRACY) :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter