Passport needed??

KathyT

Mouseketeer
I am planning on a 3 night cruise with my DD13. Do we need paasports for the cruise or are our birth certificates ok?

Passports are always better, but for travel to the Caribbean and Bermuda you can use a photo id such as a driver's license along with a birth certificate-this should not be a photo copy-it needs to have a raised seal.

So. if we get passports.....do we need photo ID's too?
Like a DL or state ID?

Yes, you'll need photo ID to get on and off the ship, that's for DCL security though, not immigration - your DL will be fine :)

A passport is your photo ID, but I lock mine in the safe once on baord and use my license which is always in my wallet anyway! But, your passport certainly is a form of photo ID.

I would HIGHLY recommend you get a passport. No, they are not required for your particular cruise, but a heck of alot easier and legal to use not matter where you go. They are easy to get, last for 10 years, and you don't have to worry about carrying around your BC (your original, mind you, you cannot take a copy) and picture ID. When we travel that is All we carry (unless we are renting a car and need our license). You won't have to question which countries (or islands) you can go to with it, you can go anywhere (except maybe Cuba).

You'd be amazed as to how fast you can get through an airport security line if you have an American passport in hand (even if you are traveling domestically).

I would say there is no reason why every American doesn't have one. PLUS....what if you were ever offered a last minute trip overseas or to another country..... all expenses paid.....But you have to leave tomorrow! ....Who'd want to give that up???
(that is a family joke, but it makes perfect sense!)

Maureen

:crazy: :crazy:

Favorite Auntie - I like your idea about locking up your passport once you are on the ship. I am curious about one thing. Do you travel with kids? If so, do they need picture ID to get back on the ship once in port?

We went ahead and got our passports based on the recommendations of the great folks here on the board. I feel much better with them that hauling around DL and certified BC.

Originally posted by carole88
I am curious about one thing. Do you travel with kids? If so, do they need picture ID to get back on the ship once in port?

Children under 18 do not need a photo ID, just proof of citizenship (to board initially), and their room key to board the ship in port.

I always bring a passport, and like Auntie, keep it locked in the safe once I board, using my driver's license (I still have a valid CA license) for ID to get on and off in port. I just find it easier to deal with than a birth certificate. Note that you can use a copy of your birth certificate, you don't need the original. It does have to be a "certified" copy, usually with a raised seal, it cannot be a photocopy.

Thanks for the clarification. I think that I will also lock up my passport. No need to take the chance and lose it.

Mrs. Fuzzmo,
What an absolutely, fabulous reason to get a passport:D I never even considered that (but you never know what could happen). I didn't realize that having a passport made it somewhat easier to get through security, but it makes sense. Thanks, I learn something new every day:bounce:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter