Passport for child

Adding my info here (I'm from Ontario):

Mailed kiddo's application last week of April
- Received in Gatineau May 11
- Called Passport Canada multiple times to check on status
- Transferred Passport last week to Hamilton office
- got a call a few days later from the Passport Hamilton Office that it's ready for pick up on Sept 8th after 11 am -- we won't have to line up
- Travel date is Sept 18th

This was very stressful and dicey, but I'm glad I'm not camped out the night before trying to get it done then.

Don't despair. I really feel they prioritize based on your travel dates, so they'll only process your request a few days out and no faster.
I'm not too worried that we won't get it on time at this point but it seems to be working on more of a 'who is willing to nag us' system than travel date. The agent definitely made it seem like there was no way it was getting to us on time unless I transferred the passport for pickup.

Did they require you to have new applications or anything? I see on the Passport Canada website that if you come in they might request you to submit new paperwork. I am traveling on October 6, but I am not "allowed" to call and request a transfer to our local office until September 8 (according to the rep on the phone) and I hate waiting. I just want to do it now. My kids applications are still sitting as "in review/investigation".
Nope! No new applications... they just requested our files from wherever they were sitting in purgatory!

Mine is to arrive soon but my kids are still processing and we applied early July. We leave Nov 10th. Our MP said we can contact them if we had not received them 20 business days before travel and they would request to transfer quickly and pick up at their office. They say they have only had success. So, I am stressing but they are trying to be reassuring. I wish I could transfer the request now!!!

Mine is to arrive soon but my kids are still processing and we applied early July. We leave Nov 10th. Our MP said we can contact them if we had not received them 20 business days before travel and they would request to transfer quickly and pick up at their office. They say they have only had success. So, I am stressing but they are trying to be reassuring. I wish I could transfer the request now!!!

Our friends submitted early June, received by Passport Canada June 9. Credit card charged June 29th. Just got the birth certificates on Tuesday. MPs office contacted Passport Canada and they say it's still "Processing" and they are trying to get it transferred to Surrey. If they don't hear from Passport Canada by next Wednesday (the 5th) then call the MPs office and he will get on them. We leave the evening of the 14th and Surrey is an 8 hour drive away.

We finally got our kids' passports today!

We applied in late May, it worked out to be exactly 17 weeks + mailing time. We got their birth certificates back over a month ago, and our credit cards were charged way back in early July. We received the adult passports (renewals) in mid-July, so the kids' ones took an extra month and a half.

This thread is both worrisome and hopeful at the same time! We send one out at the beginning of June so I am hoping it will arrive soon...

Still waiting for my daughters. We leave in just over a month. I submitted on May 30 at a Service Canada location in my city.
If I decide to contact my MP what would I even say?
How much longer should I wait?
Ugh this is stressful.

Still waiting for my daughters. We leave in just over a month. I submitted on May 30 at a Service Canada location in my city.
If I decide to contact my MP what would I even say?
How much longer should I wait?
Ugh this is stressful.
Absolutely contact your MPs office! Not all offices are as good as others but we’ve received excellent service from ours!

Passport applications were received June 9th, CC charged June 29th. Had heard absolutely nothing by Sept 10th. Called Passport Canada - Passports are in production. If not received by Sept 19th, call back. Called Sept 20th, Passports are being “reviewed”. Can’t guarantee we will have them by our travel date of Oct 14. Passport office has discretion as to whether they get transferred to a local office (we live 8 hours from the nearest one). Contacted the MPs office, filled out the forms so they can look into it. They said 10-15 business days to get a response but we told them we would be boarding the plane then. MPs office put a rush on it and got a call from the Passport office a week later that the passports were being printed in Gatineau and could be rushed or attempted to transfer to the local Passport office. Asked that they rush them. This was on Thursday. Got an email from the MPs office that the passports were mailed yesterday from Vancouver and should have them by tomorrow! They did an excellent job and really advocated for us. We likely would have still been waiting if they hadn’t helped.

I sent my children's applications by mail in June 2022 - nothing yet. Online inquiry sent: nothing. I have not even received their birth certificates back. Our trip is not until January - when should I contact my MP? I am worried they will say it is too far out to assist us, but I am not going to be able to do anything in December with the amount of time that federal employees have off around Christmas..

I sent my children's applications by mail in June 2022 - nothing yet. Online inquiry sent: nothing. I have not even received their birth certificates back. Our trip is not until January - when should I contact my MP? I am worried they will say it is too far out to assist us, but I am not going to be able to do anything in December with the amount of time that federal employees have off around Christmas..

I would call the passport line and just make sure they received them. They are operating on a 17 week timeline from when they were received and you should be coming up to that soon. If you don’t have them by early November, I would start an inquiry with your MPs office and provide proof of travel.

I sent my children's applications by mail in June 2022
I sent my son's application in June as well. We do not have a travel date currently. Received on June 9th and fee charged in middle of July. We just got his birth certificate back last Thursday so you may see yours soon.

Did you notice if they charged the application fee to your credit card? That's just another step that indicates they're working on it. I wouldn't worry too much yet, I imagine you'll see the documentation returned to you in the next couple of weeks and then the passport sometime soon after that.

I'll update when we receive our passport.

I sent my son's application in June as well. We do not have a travel date currently. Received on June 9th and fee charged in middle of July. We just got his birth certificate back last Thursday so you may see yours soon.

Did you notice if they charged the application fee to your credit card? That's just another step that indicates they're working on it. I wouldn't worry too much yet, I imagine you'll see the documentation returned to you in the next couple of weeks and then the passport sometime soon after that.

I'll update when we receive our passport.

Thank you, please keep us posted! Yes - they charged our credit card the last week in June. I think I will still call the passport office to ensure that they are working on them.

Just received ours today and they were sent in beginning of June. There was definitely push from the MP to get them rushed as we had a travel date of Oct 14, but they are here. Over 4 months from when they received the applications.

Just booked/paid our cruise in December.
Realized that Bahamas (castaway key is) requires passport with more than 6 months validity…..and my son’s passport will be expired in March.
I guess I will line up at Passport Canada 1AM to get express pick up.
Has anyone tried this before? Do they turn away people if the travel date is not like tomorrow?

*UPDATE*
Called and managed to get through (1:00 pm MST if that helps) - it said there were 115 callers ahead of me and I was only on hold for 12 minutes! The agent requested a transfer to our local office (no guarantees) - fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter