Park Reservations, Genie+, Virtual Queues and Lightning Lane Opinion

CKWDisney

Earning My Ears
Having just completed our 30th year of visiting WDW we have seen a lot of changes over time that we have adapted to easily. We found the requirement of having park reservations to be simple as we usually plan in advance and know what parks we want to go to on what days anyway.

However, there is one problem with the current policy. If you don't check in at your reserved park you can't park hop to a different park after 2 PM. In our situation, one of our party arrived the second day we were at WDW. We made park reservations on that day for Animal Kingdom and then dinner reservations in the evening at an EPCOT restaurant. The new addition to our group had a flight that precluded her from making it to Animal Kingdom but she was not allowed to enter EPCOT with us for dinner. We resolved it in Guest Relations but it was thirty minutes of our day spent in line getting help. This needs to change as there are many reasons someone might not want to go to their park in the morning but would want to park hop in the afternoon, none of which would significantly impact crowd control since they would have been allowed to park hop anyway.

Having been to WDW so many times, we did not find the Genie suggestions to be helpful but a new visitor might feel differently. One of our party purchased Genie+ for the whole trip as she did not have an annual pass. The rest of us with annual passes purchased Genie+ on two days. We did not like it for many reasons - none of which have to do with losing the free Fastpass system. First, you need to be on the app at 7 AM sharp to have any chance of getting a lightning lane via Genie+ for one of the major attractions. Then, you are usually faced with the option of a lightning lane for a major attraction late in the day or a lightning lane earlier in the day for a lesser attraction. Since you can't get a second lightning lane until you use the first one, your second Genie+ lightning lane option is to get a lighting lane for a minor attraction that usually has a short wait or a medium level attraction late in the day or into the night. Nobody ever used the second lightning lane because we were gone from the park by the time slot. And we never even booked a third. So, overall the Genie+ was a bust. It was successful in causing us to think - which ride is worth some incremental money to possibly (but not certainly) ride. For someone new to WDW there is probably a different answer than for someone who has been multiple times.

We paid for Lightning Lane for one ride and it was a good choice.

We got a virtual queue spot for one ride but the time slot fell right on top of dining reservations. So, while the rest of the group rode the ride, I stood in line at Guest Relations for twenty-five minutes (Disney dining phone line was overburdened and unavailable at that time) trying to cancel the dining reservations without getting charged the $70 fee ($10 per person for 7 people). They did cancel the reservation but not without telling me never to do this again. They said if the virtual queue falls on dining you should go to dining and then ask guest relations to fix the virtual queue time. I understand they want their dining revenue (in this case it was $60+ per person for seven people they lost at Space 220). However, I have three problems with this. First, it is your system that created the issue so I should have some say in the the resolution to the problem your system created. Second, I still end up standing in line at guest relations trying to get help and wasting my time. Third, there is no guarantee Guest Relations would actually fix the virtual queue issue leaving you at risk.

Kevin Perjurer's Defunctland YouTube channel has a good video on Disney's FastPass: A Complicated History. The bottom line, he says, is that FastPass benefited the savvy traveler at the expense of the less savvy traveler. This is likely true (although I would say it benefited those who put in the time to learn and plan) and I don't begrudge WDW changing their policies to benefit others. However, given these changes and the pause (cancellation?) of annual passes, everyone in our party agreed that we will dramatically reduce the number of times we go to WDW from multiple times per year to once every five years or so (or maybe never - who knows?). If that is the goal of WDW policy, then I would say it is a successful policy.

Thanks for your post.

The most disturbing part, to me, was the attitude of the CM at Guest Relations. One of the things I've always loved about WDW is how wonderful the CMs are. In all my many years of traveling there, I've encountered only one cranky CM, yet lately I see a lot of posts like yours.

WDW's computer system certainly knew that your VQ and ADR overlapped. At that point, the system should have told you what the best course of action was. How could you possibly have known?

As for G+, my impression is that unless the park is relatively empty, in which case G+ is hardly needed, it's good for one or two attractions, maximum. Unless you intend to stay in the park from open to close. Then, perhaps, it's useful.

Did people who knew how to use FP+ have some kind of unfair advantage? Advantage--yes. Unfair?--only to offsite guests, and even then you could still overcome many of those disadvantages.

For me, as long as WDW is charging for this, I would much prefer a FP+ that had a fee. One where you could still plan your most-wanted attractions 30 or 60 days in advance. IMO, there's no advantage to having G+ be a day-of system and it's certainly no help to a parkgoer who arrives too late to get any of the most desirable attractions.

If you don't check in at your reserved park you can't park hop to a different park after 2 PM.
This has been the case since park hopping was reintroduced in January after not being allowed for 6 months following the closure. It's done as a deterrent from someone selecting the same park every day then just skipping to what they really wanted.

Since you can't get a second lightning lane until you use the first one, your second Genie+ lightning lane option is to get a lighting lane for a minor attraction that usually has a short wait or a medium level attraction late in the day or into the night.
The rules for getting a second Lightning Lane are either use the first one or wait 120 minutes either after park opening or after last selection. Genie is still new, but this has been the rule since day 1.

We got a virtual queue spot for one ride but the time slot fell right on top of dining reservations.
This is a constant question on the boards. It doesn't happen often, but boarding groups rarely have an issue if you show up late, especially because of a dining reservation. If they give you grief, you can show your dining receipt and you'll be fine, no one on here has ever reported needing to stand in line with GS to fix the issue. You just go to the ride and check in.

It sounds like you had a rough time, but a lot of these things are not new for you and can be found in several spots across the Disboards. Unfortunately, a lot has changed since reopening and if you're not willing to find out before your trip what's new and how things work now, you do spend a lot of time frustrated in the parks.

All in all, its best to contact guest services by email to voice your displeasure so they can fix the issues where they're failing.

The hopping after 2 and having to tap into your reserved park first is a pain, I agree, but I understand the reasoning behind it so I just deal with it. The having to make a park reservation in advance was a hard one for me since we always just decided day of but I've learned how to work with it.

As a frequent visitor, I rarely used FP+ since I knew I'd be back again at some point that year and as I mentioned, we didn't plan things in advance. We just stood in line for rides like in the pre-FP days and sometimes I'd book a FP for another ride while in line but that would only be if the next ride was within 30 min. because, again, no planning. I don't plan on using Genie+ for the same reason, I don't "need" to ride any rides bad enough to pay extra for them, I don't try to ride every ride in a day, I don't mind standing in line if I want to ride a ride. I think if you can avoid booking the later in the day LL first thing and just do the booking as you go and it's not horribly busy, you might get some benefit out of Genie+.

When RoTR was virtual que we had an Olga's ADR and our boarding group pushed to close to the time of the ADR. I just went to Olga's and talked to the CM at the door and they put us on a list to be able to come back later. Evidently it happens often with ADRs and virtual ques and the CM's at either place will work with you. Screen shots help. I've also found instead of standing in line at GS and using the CM's at the blue umbrellas helps as well when you have issues.

Things have changed and will continue to do so, it's the nature of the beast. I'm not sure we can judge anything by right now, everything is just in so much flux. I've had issues everywhere, even at home with customer service. I can't remember a time in the last year when I've been at the grocery store and didn't have to bag my own groceries or didn't get some attitude by an employee in a store.

This has been the case since park hopping was reintroduced in January after not being allowed for 6 months following the closure. It's done as a deterrent from someone selecting the same park every day then just skipping to what they really wanted.

The rules for getting a second Lightning Lane are either use the first one or wait 120 minutes either after park opening or after last selection. Genie is still new, but this has been the rule since day 1.

This is a constant question on the boards. It doesn't happen often, but boarding groups rarely have an issue if you show up late, especially because of a dining reservation. If they give you grief, you can show your dining receipt and you'll be fine, no one on here has ever reported needing to stand in line with GS to fix the issue. You just go to the ride and check in.

It sounds like you had a rough time, but a lot of these things are not new for you and can be found in several spots across the Disboards. Unfortunately, a lot has changed since reopening and if you're not willing to find out before your trip what's new and how things work now, you do spend a lot of time frustrated in the parks.

All in all, its best to contact guest services by email to voice your displeasure so they can fix the issues where they're failing.

I'm not sure what difference it makes if a bad policy has been in place for a week or a year. It is still bad policy. Like all policies intended as a deterrent to individuals acting in bad faith, there is the possibility it will have a negative effect on someone acting in good faith.

I'm aware that the Genie+ rules haven't changed as they are new. However, the rules as they currently stand were not conducive to my group getting value from the purchase. We were pretty aware of how they worked as multiple groups of family and friends had been in October and reported back - in addition to what can be read about the rules. But until you have lived it, you don't know whether these rules will work with your Disney style.

As for the virtual queue and dining, I have had multiple issues in the past where we were charged the $10/person fee and it took a lot of time to get the charge reversed (we have gone in large groups of 50+ family members multiple times). And all of those charges were in error -so I try to be proactive about not getting the charge in the first place based on lived experience.

Guest services has obviously been made aware of the issues. I think the new rules will be a positive for some people. I just don't think they were a positive for our friends and family. Like I said, I don't begrudge WDW changing - and many changes have been positive over the years - but I do make personal decisions based on my experience with the changes. As should everyone.

The hopping after 2 and having to tap into your reserved park first is a pain, I agree, but I understand the reasoning behind it so I just deal with it. The having to make a park reservation in advance was a hard one for me since we always just decided day of but I've learned how to work with it.

As a frequent visitor, I rarely used FP+ since I knew I'd be back again at some point that year and as I mentioned, we didn't plan things in advance. We just stood in line for rides like in the pre-FP days and sometimes I'd book a FP for another ride while in line but that would only be if the next ride was within 30 min. because, again, no planning. I don't plan on using Genie+ for the same reason, I don't "need" to ride any rides bad enough to pay extra for them, I don't try to ride every ride in a day, I don't mind standing in line if I want to ride a ride. I think if you can avoid booking the later in the day LL first thing and just do the booking as you go and it's not horribly busy, you might get some benefit out of Genie+.

When RoTR was virtual que we had an Olga's ADR and our boarding group pushed to close to the time of the ADR. I just went to Olga's and talked to the CM at the door and they put us on a list to be able to come back later. Evidently it happens often with ADRs and virtual ques and the CM's at either place will work with you. Screen shots help. I've also found instead of standing in line at GS and using the CM's at the blue umbrellas helps as well when you have issues.

Things have changed and will continue to do so, it's the nature of the beast. I'm not sure we can judge anything by right now, everything is just in so much flux. I've had issues everywhere, even at home with customer service. I can't remember a time in the last year when I've been at the grocery store and didn't have to bag my own groceries or didn't get some attitude by an employee in a store.

We all have our own style of doing WDW! It wasn't a bad trip, just had some hiccups. But, it did preclude us from doing WDW the way we like. We can adapt, we can wait it out or we can vacation elsewhere. We just decided to vacation less at WDW and more elsewhere for the time being. I think a lot of people will like the new system and it may be long term a great decision for the company.

We all have our own style of doing WDW! It wasn't a bad trip, just had some hiccups. But, it did preclude us from doing WDW the way we like. We can adapt, we can wait it out or we can vacation elsewhere. We just decided to vacation less at WDW and more elsewhere for the time being. I think a lot of people will like the new system and it may be long term a great decision for the company.
So true and I think for a lot of long time visitors the shine is off the apple right now. There are so many great places to visit in and around the Orlando area and Florida in general that taking a break from WDW, especially right now, could be a good thing and who knows the new places that will be discovered.

Could you explain what the reasoning is behind having to tap in to the first park?

Last edited:
Would it have been an option to make the park reservation for the person joining your group at Epcot rather thank AK since they weren't going to go to AK?

Could you explain what the reasoning is behind having to tap in to the first park?
Explained up this post by GBRforWDW

This is ridiculously annoying also for people who are planning on doing half days. That is going to be us on one of our days. Maybe by the time I visit some of this will be done away with, but I doubt it.

Explained up this post by GBRforWDW
This is the explanation is from disney?

I'm specifically referring to the tapping in at the first park. Not the hopping after 2pm. I would like to know where the explanation is from Disney as to why I would have to go to Park A (that I reserved) before heading into my hopping park at 2pm.

Sorry to be a stickler but this is actually one of the things about the new park reservations systems that I think has the potential to bring significant guest frustration on the day of visit. There are many reasonable reasons which one would want to skip attending a park in the morning and just go to a hopped park in late afternoon - weather, health, sleep, cranky children, etc etc etc. If they aren't going to cap park hopping, what is the purpose of the initial tap in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter