Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

My DD didn't go to prom-not her thing. I think the tickets were pretty expensive. We live in a small town-90 kids in her graduating class. They do a "red carpet" walk at the town common for all the parents to take photos then the kids are bussed to the venue. After prom the kids are bussed to an undisclosed location for an after prom event. They vary the location and don't tell the kids so they can't stash alcohol anywhere before the event. Parents pick up the kids at that location around 2am.

I wonder if students stay in the dorms at UCLA longer than normal.

I know our tour guide had been in on-campus housing all four years going from the dorms to on-campus apartments. My son already has an apartment and a roommate lined up for his sophomore year at UT. He has his priorities. Lol.

Prom starts at 7 and ends at midnight- Limo comes around 6 to get them, takes them to prom and waits there for them- at midnight they all get in and go out afterward (nightclubs in NYC have after prom parties going on - http://www.copacabanaproms.com/copacabana-after-prom-gallery.php ) so by the time they drive into the city (another 45 minutes away), do what they are going to do and come home at 4am that's 10 hours of limo rental. The limo will be stocked with drinks (soda and water obviously, and snacks) Its a full wedding type meal at prom. Also photo booth etc. For that price it better be a darn good meal too- with hors d'oeuvres!

The after-party venue sounds AMAZING. I wish we had something similar here in Chicago. My DD's prom is tomorrow at the Shedd Aquarium. Tickets were $125 and include a light dinner. We're going to drop DD and her friends off downtown early afternoon for pictures, they have a friend who will be taking them at various landmarks and then they'll head to prom. Not sure what they're doing afterwards yet.

So how about this for a doozy? The school held it's annual athletic awards ceremony yesterday during school hours. My son was expecting to be recognized for qualifying for State as well as earning academic all-district/ all-state. Due to a "data entry mistake" his name was not called once during the ceremony. He was left out completely. I was so incensed yesterday that I couldn't sleep and sent a 2am email to the principal.

We are a small school and there is no excuse for an oversight like this. There aren't that many recipients of this kind of award to leave one of them out. The student body was literally chanting his name when he wasn't called up. The athletic directors had to have known. So far I have only gotten a half-hearted apology from the principal and silence from the AD's. I am so done with this school.

So how about this for a doozy? The school held it's annual athletic awards ceremony yesterday during school hours. My son was expecting to be recognized for qualifying for State as well as earning academic all-district/ all-state. Due to a "data entry mistake" his name was not called once during the ceremony. He was left out completely. I was so incensed yesterday that I couldn't sleep and sent a 2am email to the principal.

We are a small school and there is no excuse for an oversight like this. There aren't that many recipients of this kind of award to leave one of them out. The student body was literally chanting his name when he wasn't called up. The athletic directors had to have known. So far I have only gotten a half-hearted apology from the principal and silence from the AD's. I am so done with this school.
Oh my goodness, that is ridiculous. I know that many of us share the disdain of "everyone gets a trophy" but when a kid earns distinction through hard work, they deserve that recognition and when it doesn't come, we adults need to realize that it is really hard on them. I'm sorry your DS was left out, mistakes happen but its still sad.

I'm sorry. That would be really disappointing.

I know that many of us share the disdain of "everyone gets a trophy" but when a kid earns distinction through hard work, they deserve that recognition and when it doesn't come, we adults need to realize that it is really hard on them.

Exactly! He went for years without earning an award at this ceremony and, rightfully, we did not expect anything. But when the award is warranted and earned through years of training and hard work, it is just too sad for me to stomach.

I am so excited right now, I'm bursting!!!! Normally I'm updating you guys about DD (class of 2017). But today I have awesome news about my DS (class of 2015). He just finished his 2nd year at UVA. He planned to be a Finance major, but UVA's undergrad business school is #5 in the country and acceptance is super competitive. DS applied at the beginning of this last semester and got deferred. 129 kids were deferred, and after interviews, additional essays and 2nd semester grades, approximately 60% from the deferred list get admitted. We've been on pins and needles for the past couple of weeks. He got the good news today - HE GOT IN!!!!!!! I am one proud mama!

I am so excited right now, I'm bursting!!!! Normally I'm updating you guys about DD (class of 2017). But today I have awesome news about my DS (class of 2015). He just finished his 2nd year at UVA. He planned to be a Finance major, but UVA's undergrad business school is #5 in the country and acceptance is super competitive. DS applied at the beginning of this last semester and got deferred. 129 kids were deferred, and after interviews, additional essays and 2nd semester grades, approximately 60% from the deferred list get admitted. We've been on pins and needles for the past couple of weeks. He got the good news today - HE GOT IN!!!!!!! I am one proud mama!
Awesome news! Congratulations!

That is awesome news!!! Congrats, you deserve to be a proud Mama WooooWhoooo

He's the kind that always rises above, but I could tell he was hurt.
But But But......... >:( I want to smack them on your son's behalf.
The kids who rise above seem to be the ones that are consistently put into the position of having too and it makes me mad.
Grrrrrr
My DS is the rise above it type. I think that actually makes me more mama bearish, he will let it go and I got so fed up with him being overlooked and letting it go that I make (or want to make) a bigger issue.

Its like the whole Petty cake episode yesterday with my DD's Athletic Training Coaches.
My DD actually said to me last night: "Mom, you are always the rise above it, be the better person type of Mom, thanks for supporting me in my petty gesture towards Coach" :love2:

Last edited:
But But But......... >:( I want to smack them on your son's behalf.
The kids who rise above seem to be the ones that are consistently put into the position of having to and it makes me mad.
Grrrrrr

My DS is the rise above it type. I think that actually makes me more mama bearish, he will let it go and I go so fed up with him being overlooked and letting it go that I make (or want to make) a bigger issue.

Its like the whole Petty cake episode yesterday with my DD's Athletic Training Coaches.
My DD actually said to me last night: "Mom, you are always the rise above it, be the better person type of Mom, thanks for supporting me in my petty gesture towards Coach" :love2:

I agree so much with the bolded. Time and time again it has happened to him. It's almost laughable at this point.

And speaking of cakes, I wish I had one to throw in those AD's faces!

Ugh. That really stinks. Do you think it was intentional?

I agree so much with the bolded. Time and time again it has happened to him. It's almost laughable at this point.

And speaking of cakes, I wish I had one to throw in those AD's faces!
Do you have an extra? I'm not a big fan of our AD either.

Ugh. That really stinks. Do you think it was intentional?
Actually, I do. I have fought for the tennis program at our school for the last four years. Our head AD told me at the very beginning that he doesn't "get" tennis and wasn't going to be putting any stock in the program at all. In our gym, district champions have their names hanging on banners all over the walls. My son was the district champion last year. He didn't get a banner. The AD said tennis wasn't a team sport, so it didn't warrant a banner.

That is just a small sampling. There is so, so much more.

Actually, I do. I have fought for the tennis program at our school for the last four years. Our head AD told me at the very beginning that he doesn't "get" tennis and wasn't going to be putting any stock in the program at all. In our gym, district champions have their names hanging on banners all over the walls. My son was the district champion last year. He didn't get a banner. The AD said tennis wasn't a team sport, so it didn't warrant a banner.

That is soooooo WRONG!!!!

What a terrible man. I'm very mad for you. Do you have any other kids in the system? I might be burning some bridges with the district on my way out the door. Then again, I'm not a "rise above" kind of person ...

What a terrible man. I'm very mad for you. Do you have any other kids in the system? I might be burning some bridges with the district on my way out the door. Then again, I'm not a "rise above" kind of person ...
He's my only child. I'm thankful to be done with these fools. The AD came over to my son's lunch table today to take one of his friends for an academic all-state photo. The lunch table all said "What about DS, he has a 4.0??!!" the AD was like "oh really? let me go print you out a certificate." My son told him, "I don't need your piece of paper." I'm so proud of him for saying that!!

That really stinks. I hate reading about kids that work hard and earn an award or hit a recognizable achievement and don't get recognized.

It's happened to my dd and it stinks.

It's really nice your son's friends recognize his achievements. That must make him feel good.

What a jerk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter