Parents of the Class of 2019

Since DD and DS will be at same college they will take the extra kid car there. Parking spot is $1000! For the year. DS will not be driving. DD I need to get her grades to ins co for discount and then bump DS down to non driver. I need to get renter ins to cover if car has anything in it-I think recommendation from this thread :)

DS texted his roommate. And 2 days later the roommate texted back “Hello I’m Mark” and nothing more.
Sooooo I guess no coorindation of items.

DS earned his goal for cash for this summer and he has most of August yet to earn more. I shared with him, I don’t pay for spring breaks.

Spanish final is Wednesday, after he completes he will have met the requirement needed to graduate with engineering degree but if changes to LAS then will need another class in Spanish ( I would not be able to remember it in two years when I don’t use the language).

We have 3 days to hang at home now but he will mostly be sleeping, Spanish lots of homework and then friends in evening so I just keep feeding him.

DS went ahead and rented the books he knows he will need, and there is one he is waiting to find out if it is required. It was less than $6 difference to rent from the bookstore at his school than to rent from Amazon, so he did that so he doesn't have to mess with sending them back. His total was around $80 for all of it, which I was happy with.

My SIL is letting us use several of her Ikea tote bags to move his clothes and things, and she brought those to us last night.

It is getting too close...

DS went ahead and rented the books he knows he will need, and there is one he is waiting to find out if it is required. It was less than $6 difference to rent from the bookstore at his school than to rent from Amazon, so he did that so he doesn't have to mess with sending them back. His total was around $80 for all of it, which I was happy with.

My SIL is letting us use several of her Ikea tote bags to move his clothes and things, and she brought those to us last night.

It is getting too close...
Dd is waiting on textbooks, ds21 and dd23 told her to wait. I broke into the ikea bags to pack for a beach trip in another week for bedding and towels.😂

Dd is waiting on textbooks, ds21 and dd23 told her to wait. I broke into the ikea bags to pack for a beach trip in another week for bedding and towels.😂

:D DS asked a friend who goes to the same school before he did anything about books. His friend had had all of the professors but one and knew which ones wanted the books--small school, lol. I was surprised at how cheap it was to rent them!

I so wish we had another vacation before he goes! Ok, I really just want another vacation for myself before school starts (school secretary here!), but things are way too busy at work to take off now. We had almost 2 weeks at the beach in June, and it was so much fun.

We have a week at camp coming up a week from tomorrow. So we have next week, camp week, and then one week before move-in. DD thinks she might just work the Monday of that last week and leave the rest of the days open for packing and seeing friends. That means she has only 3 days of work left which is kind of sad but I think she'll be helping with an event in the fall, and can probably return over breaks.

This week DD found out her roommate is bringing a TV so DD asked me yesterday if we could get a Wii for her to take. So happens we came across a Wii with accessories and 19 games at a garage sale today so that was easy. She's excited!

DS is waiting until the first day of classes to get his books. DD is a junior at another school and said it's best to wait because sometimes professors change their minds about which books are required.

We leave for WDW and US in 2 weeks, then a few days after we get home, we will move DS in. DD doesn't go back until the very end of August. Then we will be down to just DS12 and our new puppy. At least the puppy will keep DS from getting lonely. Here's a pic of DS12 and Otis being reunited after DS was away at camp for the week.

Last edited:

Last night DD had a sheet to fill out regarding her preferences for location and times to work dorm front desk. Does that mean she has a job? I don't know! I hope so. The email just said to please fill it out. Looks like you work every other weekend so she chose the alternation that gave her Labor Day weekend and HS Homecoming off. I had her put down 10 hours/week to start till she knows how things will go with classes and rehearsals. Another dose of reality hitting home, it made me a little nervous thinking about a job schedule added in but 10 hours a week shouldn't be a problem.

Saturday is the day. She has training Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, then starts the job Wednesday. Apparently that's when early check-in starts (for those moving from summer housing and those participating in rush). Official move-in is the following Wednesday. She's going to check on renting books when she gets there. She's normally a big procrastinator but being there early does have a couple of small advantages.

I always figured we'd need a U-haul for all her stuff, but she's really taking a minimalist approach.

Saturday is the day. She has training Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, then starts the job Wednesday. Apparently that's when early check-in starts (for those moving from summer housing and those participating in rush). Official move-in is the following Wednesday. She's going to check on renting books when she gets there. She's normally a big procrastinator but being there early does have a couple of small advantages.

I always figured we'd need a U-haul for all her stuff, but she's really taking a minimalist approach.

Your daughter moves in this Saturday? Hugs for you and all other parents here. My daughter moves in August 22. We just got her bedding this week. Next week we will get the other supplies.

Her older sister is a Pampered Chef dealer and got her this microwave pasta cooker bowl. That should come in handy in the dorm. I just need to buy oven mitts for it.

Her older sister is a Pampered Chef dealer and got her this microwave pasta cooker bowl. That should come in handy in the dorm. I just need to buy oven mitts for it.

Is he allowed a microwave in his dorm room? Our son's school doesn't allow any cooking appliances in the rooms (they're allowed a Keurig if they want) - there is a microwave in their lounge, but that's about it.

Is he allowed a microwave in his dorm room? Our son's school doesn't allow any cooking appliances in the rooms (they're allowed a Keurig if they want) - there is a microwave in their lounge, but that's about it.
My kids have never been in a dorm room without a microwave. Dd is renting a fridge microwave combo from the school, plus there are many full kitchens in the dorm.

My son’s school didn’t allow microwaves but my daughter’s does. And both campuses are part of the same university system.

Last edited:
Your daughter moves in this Saturday? Hugs for you and all other parents here. My daughter moves in August 22. We just got her bedding this week. Next week we will get the other supplies.

Yes, this Saturday. Sigh. Classes start the 19th but she has to be there early to start her job at the front desk of her dorm.

Room assignment, forced triple, top floor, to make matters worse, her roommates are moving in 2 days early (one for sports, the other for a Jewish organization on campus). I’m guessing she is getting a top bunk!

:hug: @mom2rtk - Saturday sounds really..."real".

DS doesn't move in until Aug. 25th. We went supply shopping yesterday, and clothes shopping today. I found out he's nervous about laundry, even though he's done some here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter