Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

If any of your students took the ACT on April 13th, scores were posted this morning online.

On the ACT vs SAT question:

She didn't use her SAT scores to apply for college, she used the ACT scores that were much higher.

DS#1 was the same way. His SAT scores weren't great but his ACT was crazy good, so he just used that when applying to school. He got into his first choice with academic scholarships that way.

We're having DS#2 take them both and then we'll see which is better for him.

We got DS' ACT scores yesterday and he added three points, four if you super-score. We are so very excited for him - he can pretty much pick where he wants to go to school.

As far as what is good, it is subjective. Depends on the student and what they want to study and where they want to go to school. DS is looking at aerospace engineering so he needs a high ACT, good gpa and high class rank to even be considered for some schools.

Got dd's ACT score today. What is considered "good"?

that depends on what you're using the score for. obviously, the higher the better ... but I would qualify "good" as anything over 28 for MY son. for someone who's a struggling student, a 22 may be good.

we were thrilled with DS 30+ score last month. his best friend got the exact same score, and his parents were bitterly disappointed. so, there you go. LOLOL

that depends on what you're using the score for. obviously, the higher the better ... but I would qualify "good" as anything over 28 for MY son. for someone who's a struggling student, a 22 may be good.

we were thrilled with DS 30+ score last month. his best friend got the exact same score, and his parents were bitterly disappointed. so, there you go. LOLOL

Disappointed with 30+??? Insanity!!!!!!!
My dd's score was excellent, and I know it, but a 30+ is fantastic. I feel for that kid.

My dd's score was excellent, and I know it, but a 30+ is fantastic. I feel for that kid.

No kidding!! I just got DS all signed up yesterday for the June 8th ACT, and I would be thrilled if he got a 30!! That's a really good score. The average composite score nationwide for last year was a 21.

they obviously have higher expectations than me :upsidedow

heck, I have high expectations and honestly, I'd like to see DS get his science score up a couple of points (which would help the overall score) ... but I'm also realistic. and happy with his score. :) with his ACT score & GPA, DS looking at a lot more scholarship opportunity than his older brother did.

I made the mistake of looking at the College Confidential boards this morning. Darn those overachieving kids with their 35s and 36s. :eek:

they obviously have higher expectations than me :upsidedow

heck, I have high expectations and honestly, I'd like to see DS get his science score up a couple of points (which would help the overall score) ... but I'm also realistic. and happy with his score. :) with his ACT score & GPA, DS looking at a lot more scholarship opportunity than his older brother did.

I made the mistake of looking at the College Confidential boards this morning. Darn those overachieving kids with their 35s and 36s. :eek:

I really had no clue or expectations. My daughter is intelligent, but usually croaks on these kinds of tests. She got a 31 and will take it again in June. She wants to go for Chemical Engineering or Chemistry. Hasn't decided yet.

What are the College Confidential boards?

DD is taking the SAT on saturday and will take the ACT in june. We had to get through prom and award season first so she can concentrate on her tests now.

I really had no clue or expectations. My daughter is intelligent, but usually croaks on these kinds of tests. She got a 31 and will take it again in June. She wants to go for Chemical Engineering or Chemistry. Hasn't decided yet.

What are the College Confidential boards?

it's a DIS-like place for college stuff. Chrome won't let me access the boards right now, says there's some malware issues. :eek:

they're hard core over there, though. it's best to get the info you need and get out quick. ;)

DD is taking the SAT on saturday and will take the ACT in june. We had to get through prom and award season first so she can concentrate on her tests now.

good luck to her!

DS took it in March (Kentucky state-wide test date for juniors) and will probably take it once more this fall.

it's a DIS-like place for college stuff. Chrome won't let me access the boards right now, says there's some malware issues. :eek:

they're hard core over there, though. it's best to get the info you need and get out quick. ;)

Exactly -- it's DIS-like in that it can be clique-y, every child is an amazing overachieving special snowflake, and you roll your eyes a lot when you read threads. :thumbsup2 That's why I'm so happily surprised and grateful that this thread has turned out the way it has! In my decade+ here, I have to say this is a rarity here on the CB, and I love you guys for it. :grouphug:

-gina-

Exactly -- it's DIS-like in that it can be clique-y, every child is an amazing overachieving special snowflake, and you roll your eyes a lot when you read threads. :thumbsup2 That's why I'm so happily surprised and grateful that this thread has turned out the way it has! In my decade+ here, I have to say this is a rarity here on the CB, and I love you guys for it. :grouphug:

-gina-

They are worse than DIS like over there! LOL, its kinda scary. They make my 4.03/34ACT score seem like an idiot, and they aren't afraid to say, sorry, not good enough!!!
And it all seems to be east coast/southern discussions. Nothing for those of us up in the north LOL.

We did a couple of college visits. I think it's starting to sink in (rather late, I'm afraid) how exciting college could be and that ds might actually WANT to go away to school.
He isn't against CC though. He has been getting mail from the military branches as well. He has wanted to enlist since he was knee high, loves anything military. That might become a viable option for him, if he decides against CC.
So stressful for them (and us)!!!

I avoid college confidential anymore. It's all people talking about their child graduating a year early and bragging about all their scores and activities and placements and class rankings and scholarships and acceptances and if you ask a legitimate question they are all over you like you are most stupid. It's awful.

Regarding ACT scores, you can look at your college websites and find out what their requirements for ACT scores for admittance/scholarships are to find a good baseline of what you need.

:rotfl2:

and they all got into Harvard. as 8th graders. ;)

On a full merit ride, no doubt! :laughing:

There was an interesting discussion recently, though, that kind of fascinated me. I thought I'd get y'alls opinions here, to see how they stack up with the slanted views over at CC. The discussion was about the "prestige" of certain schools -- I think it was Berkeley they were talking about? -- and I was truly fascinated at how regional such perceptions are.

From what I could gather, it seems that in a lot (if not most) places, the state universities are toward the very bottom of the prestige totem pole, with the storied private colleges at the top. But I know that here in Texas, the private colleges tend to be where you go if you couldn't get into the state universities! They're crazy competitive. And Berkeley? I only now -- like in the past couple of years -- have learned that it is such a highly-ranked school in almost every department. Growing up, it was "that hippie school in California" - and that is coming from my education-focused, private school upbringing.

So is it just a Texas thing? Or is there really a wide regional difference in perspective?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter