Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Well, we were surprised! Both DD and DS did not do well at al on their SAT's! They both take very challenging classes and get mostly A's, and a few B's. DS is taking four higher level IB courses and DD is taking 2 AP and the rest Honors courses. So :confused3?

We are having them take the ACT's to see if they can really do much, much better.

Anyone have any stories on their kids doing much better on one test type versus another?

I guess just another college bump in the road!

Well, we were surprised! Both DD and DS did not do well at al on their SAT's! They both take very challenging classes and get mostly A's, and a few B's. DS is taking four higher level IB courses and DD is taking 2 AP and the rest Honors courses. So :confused3?

We are having them take the ACT's to see if they can really do much, much better.

Anyone have any stories on their kids doing much better on one test type versus another?

I guess just another college bump in the road!

My son did a bit better on the ACT than the SAT.

The funniest part was that he did lower on his math than I expected on BOTH tests. He is in Honor Calculus and math is one of this best subjects. We've determined that he just doesn't do well on timed math test on higher level math. He needs time to work out the equations and it's just not enough for him.

Both tests are different and the format of one might help over the other.

My DD also did better on the ACT than the SAT.

Ugh. Getting very frustrated with DS, but I have to just let it go! He takes the ACT next week -- will be his first time. The school pays for it, every junior takes it together. He took a practice test through the library in January, and there was a mixup so I just got his scores -- English and Reading were good, math was terrible. I knew this was going to be the case (he's not a bad math student, in the average class getting As and Bs), but he hasn't been willing to work on it more than just a little bit. And next week's test doesn't include the writing, so he'll have to retake it (with the mixup in getting the practice test scores, the Kaplan test rep said they'll pick up the cost of the retest, so that's good at least). He's been busy with the school play, but that's no excuse. Oh well, he can't retest until the September date anyway, so my brother is going to tutor him over the summer on math (that will be nice, DB and DSIL are moving back here from Boise in three weeks, and DB is a high school teacher -- it'll be good for them to spend some time together!).

DS has been fairly uninterested in college stuff in general -- we weren't able to do college visits during spring break (at Disney, woo hoo!), he won't take a class period off to go visit the college reps that come to school, and hasn't made any time to go to the College Center at school. I really think he's headed for community college for a while -- that's just fine. He's not sure at all at this point what he wants to major in, which is also fine, but I think he needs to put some work and thought into researching a little bit.

My older DS was much more interested in college visits, etc., so this is a little tough for me. I want him to be excited about it, but I can't make him be interested! It's got to come from him -- I've suggested all kinds of things, but it's time to back off a little, I think.

Okay, here's my latest stupid question for you very smart and helpful people... How do you find the Common Data Set for a specific school?? I have searched on their website, searched via Google, I don't know what I'm doing wrong... :headache: Is there one place with all the info where you can just look up the school you want?

Is anyone interested in sharing what schools they have visited and what you thought about them? What are you kids interested in majoring in? Are these too far off topic and if so I am happy to start a new thread....let me know. I have a DD finishing her junior year.

Can I come play?

DS#2 is a junior this year. We've been through the college process with DS20 already so we feel somewhat prepared.

However, we are in a really weird situation with DS17 as he was in a horrible car accident in December (the day before finals started) and that has set him back a little. He's back in school, but because he didn't go back until later in the semester, he's only taking 3 classes right now. He'll take one or two online classes this summer and then should be caught back up and back on track to graduate with his honors diploma.

It's blown his shot at a soccer scholarship since he can't play anymore and because of the financial dent the accident made on our savings account, he's having to rethink his plans a little. He's thinking now of living at home and going to the local community college to start and then going from there. A lot will ride on how the first semester of next year goes.

He takes the SAT in a couple of weeks and the ACT in June. I'm nervous for him because he hasn't really had to "think" for an entire day this semester.

Have you tried going to the Us News and World Report website and putting in the name of the school you want? This is what I got when I put in DSs school.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/ball-state-university-1786

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try that but couldn't find anything. I'm going to just call the school and ask.

Is anyone interested in sharing what schools they have visited and what you thought about them? What are you kids interested in majoring in? Are these too far off topic and if so I am happy to start a new thread....let me know. I have a DD finishing her junior year.

If you're kid's a Junior, then you're in the right place! :-) And I would think your questions are about as on-topic as you can get. We're definitely the outliers, but DS has only visited the one place he wants to go, Texas A&M University at Galveston. His major will be Marine Engineering. It's a wonderful, awesome place -- *I* want to be there -- but that's from the perspective of two ocean-crazy beach bums.

Can I come play?

DS#2 is a junior this year. We've been through the college process with DS20 already so we feel somewhat prepared.

However, we are in a really weird situation with DS17 as he was in a horrible car accident in December (the day before finals started) and that has set him back a little. He's back in school, but because he didn't go back until later in the semester, he's only taking 3 classes right now. He'll take one or two online classes this summer and then should be caught back up and back on track to graduate with his honors diploma.

It's blown his shot at a soccer scholarship since he can't play anymore and because of the financial dent the accident made on our savings account, he's having to rethink his plans a little. He's thinking now of living at home and going to the local community college to start and then going from there. A lot will ride on how the first semester of next year goes.

He takes the SAT in a couple of weeks and the ACT in June. I'm nervous for him because he hasn't really had to "think" for an entire day this semester.

I am so sorry about your son's car accident! But so glad it sounds like he going to be just fine. And I woudn't worry about the SAT and ACT too terribly much -- he can always take them again next year like so many Seniors do. That really stinks about the soccer scholarship, though. :(

I hope everything goes well for y'all! It sounds like you're both really thinking everything out and looking at all the options, and that's good for anyone to do.

Not much to report on our end... DS has been doing the $1000 Weekly Scholarship (http://www.zinch.com/scholarships/weekly) most weeks in an effort to improve on writing clearly in a condensed form, which I hope will translate to being able to write more clearly in a longer essay. He's also been running through some free ACT practice questions to get him ready for that in June.

I've been slogging through the phone books that are the Peterson's Financial Aid Guide and the How To Pay For College Without Going Broke, and my eyes are crossed at this point. Maybe I'm just dense, or maybe it really is all so confusing, but there are a couple of points I can't figure out. Maybe one of you can enlighten me?

From what I understand, any student asset is assessed at 20% on the dollar, and for the parents it's 5.6%, added right onto the EFC. So does that mean before filling out the FAFSA on January 1, we need to move whatever he has in his own checking account somewhere else? Can it just be moved into mine? Or does it need to go "farther away" than that?

Hope everyone is well and is having an easier time keeping their Junior focused on this month of school than I am!! LOL

-gina-

Our D is finishing up her freshman year of college, so this is been there, done that advice.

On the ACT vs SAT question:

Our daughter did prep for the SAT, was National Merit Commended. She didn't use her SAT scores to apply for college, she used the ACT scores that were much higher. She took that ACT under protest, just to get me off her case, with no prep.

I really think the students should take both, see which one suits them, and then take that test a second time with some prep (if needed).

Take the SAT 2 (subject tests) as you finish the subjects...for our D it was May of Junior year, with a retake of one in June. Frankly I thought the timing was horrid, she had AP and IB tests as well...but she felt she was doing all the test prep anyway then, might as well get it over with...I guess it makes sense.

I'm in NJ so I doubt anyone is interested. :lmao:

You have to be interested. No other state will have us. :rotfl:

DD is looking into a degree in marine science/bio.

We didn't do a tour of Rutgers but did Rutgers day last year and DD was there for two other days. We did not like it. Neither did her friend who went with us. Too big, too impersonal, the labs we saw (only two) were filthy. Not impressed.

Rowan was nice. Very small campus feel. Great food options. Great open house, very informative financial meeting, but not the right place for DD. Loved their food options, that the town was just down the road with shopping, etc. and their dorms were nice but small.

Richard Stockton College. We both loved it. Well, I love it, she really, really liked it. ;) I think this would be the best fit for DD but she has her heart set on seeing Coastal Carolina University in SC. But this might be the one. Great open house, great campus, nice size freshman dorms, free laundry, free fridge/micro, free parking, freshman allowed to have cars. Police station on campus (not rent a cops/college security) and also a hospital. However, it's a drive to anywhere. DD was very impressed with the presentation for the marine science/bio major.

Saturday we're going to look at Monmouth University. Hear the campus is beautiful, but it's expensive.

Hope this helps!

I have a friends whose dd's both go to Rutgers and I am not impressed with it either. My older dd did not want Rutgers because it is too close to home for her :)

DD19 is in Ramapo for nursing. She got into Stockton...but not for nursing. She got a letter saying *Hey, we want you, but not for nursing.. We have declared you *undecided*...Here is a list of all of our majors...pick a new one or we will keep you undecided.* Thanks, but no thanks!!

She loves, loves, loves Ramapo. Good luck!!

I have a friends whose dd's both go to Rutgers and I am not impressed with it either. My older dd did not want Rutgers because it is too close to home for her :)

DD19 is in Ramapo for nursing. She got into Stockton...but not for nursing. She got a letter saying *Hey, we want you, but not for nursing.. We have declared you *undecided*...Here is a list of all of our majors...pick a new one or we will keep you undecided.* Thanks, but no thanks!!

She loves, loves, loves Ramapo. Good luck!!

Well wasn't that generous of them? :rotfl:

Thanks for the good word on Ramapo. As I mentioned, DD is looking for marine science so we're trying to use that as our first step in choosing which colleges we look at. Unfortunately we might be missing some really good schools because they don't offer that program, which worries me if DD changes her mind.

Good luck to your kids!

As I mentioned, DD is looking for marine science so we're trying to use that as our first step in choosing which colleges we look at. Unfortunately we might be missing some really good schools because they don't offer that program, which worries me if DD changes her mind.

She needs to come down here and go to TAMUG with my son -- Marine Sciences and Marine Engineering are their main things. :) The school is on an island off of a bigger island, and "the ocean is their classroom." It's an amazing place. Have I mentioned I wish I would have gone there myself?? :thumbsup2

You have to be interested. No other state will have us. :rotfl:

Saturday we're going to look at Monmouth University. Hear the campus is beautiful, but it's expensive.

My DS is a freshman and insisted on leaving the state!

We visited Monmouth and really loved the campus, the open house, the accounting program, etc. Our only problem was that we visited on a Saturday during the school year and saw very few students around other than the tour guides. We saw 2 students in the gym, 2 students heading to lunch and that was it. We had the feeling that it emptied out completely on weekends.

I agree with you on Rutgers, he could have had a free ride but even my cheap DH agreed even free, it wasn't for DS. Half the day riding buses to class was not our idea of college.

DS was at Stockton for a week 2 years ago for a Rotary conference. He said the food was great, the dorms were new and he loved the experience. I don't know much about their academics since they didn't have the right certification for his major.

What's wrong with Rowan? I graduated from there many years ago! Maybe the fact that it looks like 50 different people each designed their own buildings and nothing matches the other? Or they put a new building down to try and cover every inch of space? Or the parking is terrible?

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the perfect fit.

She needs to come down here and go to TAMUG with my son -- Marine Sciences and Marine Engineering are their main things. :) The school is on an island off of a bigger island, and "the ocean is their classroom." It's an amazing place. Have I mentioned I wish I would have gone there myself?? :thumbsup2

That sounds like some program. :cool2:

In all honesty we were going to stick to NJ schools hoping for a break with tuition but I found CCU and that's all she's thought about since then. I'm sure there are phenomenal schools out there that we haven't even considered but I'm not sure DD wants to go that far away from home. So with that and limited resources, it has been tough.

Someone else told me about Eckerd in FL too. My biggest concern is that even if she sticks with Marine Science, what is she going to do with that degree? :eek:

Wow I was shocked at how affordable that school is. Still don't think DD will want to go that far away, but it might be worth mentioning. Thank you!

My DS is a freshman and insisted on leaving the state!

We visited Monmouth and really loved the campus, the open house, the accounting program, etc. Our only problem was that we visited on a Saturday during the school year and saw very few students around other than the tour guides. We saw 2 students in the gym, 2 students heading to lunch and that was it. We had the feeling that it emptied out completely on weekends.

I agree with you on Rutgers, he could have had a free ride but even my cheap DH agreed even free, it wasn't for DS. Half the day riding buses to class was not our idea of college.

DS was at Stockton for a week 2 years ago for a Rotary conference. He said the food was great, the dorms were new and he loved the experience. I don't know much about their academics since they didn't have the right certification for his major.

What's wrong with Rowan? I graduated from there many years ago! Maybe the fact that it looks like 50 different people each designed their own buildings and nothing matches the other? Or they put a new building down to try and cover every inch of space? Or the parking is terrible?

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the perfect fit.

I'm sure most schools in NJ will be commuter schools. Not exactly ideal, but something that DD will consider. Also hoping to do our first visits now, then go back in the fall when school is back in session. Would also love to look into her spending the day with a student, attending classes, etc.

And with regard to Rowan :rotfl::rotfl:. It wasn't bad, honestly. But so many people talk about that feeling you get -- when you know it's the one. Neither of us saw it as a great fit for her. But it definitely wasn't a total and complete NO like Rutgers was. And the first words out of my daughter's mouth was "I don't look good in Brown and Yellow". :lmao::lmao:

I'm sure most schools in NJ will be commuter schools. Not exactly ideal, but something that DD will consider. Also hoping to do our first visits now, then go back in the fall when school is back in session. Would also love to look into her spending the day with a student, attending classes, etc.

And with regard to Rowan :rotfl::rotfl:. It wasn't bad, honestly. But so many people talk about that feeling you get -- when you know it's the one. Neither of us saw it as a great fit for her. But it definitely wasn't a total and complete NO like Rutgers was. And the first words out of my daughter's mouth was "I don't look good in Brown and Yellow". :lmao::lmao:

You know..I hear the same about Ramapo, it is a suitcase school...party school.. whatever... My dd is very happy there. she is on the dance team so she never comes home on the weekends because she always has practice Sunday morning. A HS classmate is there too and is always home. So a lot depends on what your child makes of it. Does my dd party? I have no idea, but she could come home and party too...
MU is right near the beach.. your dd may enjoy spending as much time as she can at the beach if that is her interest. My dd... I swear.. LIVES in the Ramapo Reservation, she is always there, she hikes up there all the time. If she was going to MU I bet she'd be on the beach if she wasn't in class. What does your dd do for downtime? What school would be good for her *downtime*?

What does your dd do for downtime? What school would be good for her *downtime*?

Well isn't that the $64,000 question. ;) DD is very much a home body. She doesn't hang out often because, as she puts it, "would you like me to hang out with the drunks or the potheads?" Her favorite EC is color guard. Which is a big reason we were looking at Coastal Carolina. Now she's only been in guard for one year, so who knows if she's good enough to make a college team, but that's what she enjoys. Stockton and Monmouth don't. A big reason why I want her to go away to college is so that she will find her place and meet new people. It could backfire and she could wind up staying in all the time, but I'm hoping that won't happen. She's not antisocial and she's definitely not a wallflower, but she's also comfortable with herself and likes to stay away from the drama. So what will she do in her down time? Maybe she will be home every weekend if she's in NJ. Who knows. She's the type of kid that if someone says "hey come on, let's go do ____" she'll go, but she certainly won't be the one to initiate things. And she does love the beach, so maybe she'll spend all her free time there, enjoying her own company. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter