Parents of Class of 2018 thread

She is a perfect example of putting all of her eggs in one basket that may not work out and needs to get over herself and get to work choosing a couple of more colleges to apply to.
We told her if she doesn't like the college she chooses she can always transfer to a different one but even that doesn't seem to get her butt in gear.
We've had this discussion with her so many times and it just isn't sinking in. For such a smart teen, she is not acting that way. Ugh.

I'm so glad mine is not the only one who just can't seem to be interested in any school but one. Mine has chosen the school that "boyfriend" feels is his first choice, so now it has become her first(and only) choice, too. UGH! That is NOT a reason to choose a college. I'm so mean I made her apply at two other schools. It's stressful watching them try to figure it out!

I'm so glad mine is not the only one who just can't seem to be interested in any school but one. Mine has chosen the school that "boyfriend" feels is his first choice, so now it has become her first(and only) choice, too. UGH! That is NOT a reason to choose a college. I'm so mean I made her apply at two other schools. It's stressful watching them try to figure it out!

This has always been her #1 choice even before she found out 2 other friends applied there so at least it's not a boyfriend issue.

We talked with her about it at dinner and she said she was going to look for a couple of more colleges to tour besides the one she already knows she wants to tour near Downtown Atlanta - I'm not too thrilled about that one but at least she wants to tour it so maybe she'll participate more during that tour.

I also told her that if she didn't decide on a couple more to apply to on her own I was going to do it for her because she's going to college in fall no matter what to at least get some basics out of the way. She can always transfer in to her top choice after a year as long as she keeps her grades up and they have space in her major.

I'm still hoping she makes it in to her top choice but she needs to hedge her bets.

Mine submitted two applications Early action non binding. He has a Skype interview with an alum tomorrow afternoon for one of them. He has one more regular decision application to complete and I really wish he had gotten it together to apply early there as well. Then all his decisions would happen close to the same time. It’s frustrating when they don’t do what YOU would have done, LOL.

Good luck to your kids. Happy my DD had plenty of schools she is interested in. Stress levels are getting higher the longer they have to wait to hear.

My DS received responses from 2 of the 5 schools he applied to. Both were acceptance letters. I'm so happy for him. One was his reach school, and his #1 choice, the other was his safety school. He's still waiting to hear from the other 3. I guess he's decided not to send any more applications since he was accepted to his #1 choice, although we need to figure out the financial aspect of it. We have a college fund, but it isn't enough for an entire education. I really don't want him starting his adult life with a huge college debt. Sadly his #1 choice is really far away from home. I was hoping he'd stay in Michigan, but it's not looking that way.

My DD's boyfriend is two years older than her (they've been dating for about 2 years now), and he's finishing up his AA degree at our local community college, and will be transferring to a 4 year college. Guess which school has made it to the top? Yup, the one where DD will be attending in the fall. That gets a big ugh from me, but I can't say anything about it for fear they will do it "despite" my wishes. Don't get me wrong. I like her boyfriend and there are no "red flags" in the relationship EXCEPT that this is the first serious relationship for either of them.

We have heard from two of the seven schools my son applied to and both were acceptances. I honestly think it is going to between these two, so we are super happy for him. Hoping everyone starts to receive good news!!

My daughter got into 3 schools, all into the nursing programs..she got into her #1 choice, early decision, so she had to pull her applications from the other schools she had applied to.
Was gratifying to be 3 for 3 after hearing how impossible it is to get into nursing programs.
She’s thrilled, I’m thrilled, and extra thrilled because though she’s going to be living there, it’s only 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic.

My husband had a massive stroke in late September and is still in rehab, so she pretty much did all of the college application process by herself, since I was either at a hospital, or -later on, and currently-back to work and going right to the rehab from work,so she really really needed this.

My daughter got into 3 schools, all into the nursing programs..she got into her #1 choice, early decision, so she had to pull her applications from the other schools she had applied to.
Was gratifying to be 3 for 3 after hearing how impossible it is to get into nursing programs.
She’s thrilled, I’m thrilled, and extra thrilled because though she’s going to be living there, it’s only 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic.

My husband had a massive stroke in late September and is still in rehab, so she pretty much did all of the college application process by herself, since I was either at a hospital, or -later on, and currently-back to work and going right to the rehab from work,so she really really needed this.

Yay J!!!! So happy for her and beyond happy for you and Jimmy!!! Sending you all love and prayers always!!!

We have heard from two of the seven schools my son applied to and both were acceptances. I honestly think it is going to between these two, so we are super happy for him. Hoping everyone starts to receive good news!!
College? For Matthew? :faint: Where has the time gone, Lisa?

I just saw your screen name there in the forum, had to stop by and say hello. :wave: Hope you, Patrick and Matthew are all doing well, Lisa. :hug:'s A very Merry and Blessed Christmas for you all.

Dan

This has always been her #1 choice even before she found out 2 other friends applied there so at least it's not a boyfriend issue.

We talked with her about it at dinner and she said she was going to look for a couple of more colleges to tour besides the one she already knows she wants to tour near Downtown Atlanta - I'm not too thrilled about that one but at least she wants to tour it so maybe she'll participate more during that tour.

I also told her that if she didn't decide on a couple more to apply to on her own I was going to do it for her because she's going to college in fall no matter what to at least get some basics out of the way. She can always transfer in to her top choice after a year as long as she keeps her grades up and they have space in her major.

I'm still hoping she makes it in to her top choice but she needs to hedge her bets.

My DD#2 sounds very similar. She has never wanted to visit colleges and was set on the state school her sister attended. Talking about college visits or options either made her mad or cry.

I dragged her to see a farther away, smaller state school and we had some good talks on that overnight. She was finally willing to think about it. This was early November and then it became a rush to get them in early for out of state choices.

Her #1 choice now is in the city where her sister moved. She won't hear back until January. She got into her 2nd choice and a nice reduction in out of state tuition based on her stats. It's 2hrs from her sis and a friend's son loves it there.

I'd forgotten how much has to get done early fall of senior year. Sometimes I wonder if she needs to research a little more because she put next to no tgought into her choices! We'll go through this next year with our youngest but luckily he is already more interested and thoughtful about his choices.

Congrats to all of you with decisions and scholarships!! I'm sure it feels good to have the process done and know what they will be doing next year and to see their hard work pay off!

She is having an issue with her AP Seminar teacher. This is the first year the high school is offering Sem and clearly this guy doesn't know what he is doing. DD had to turn in a long researched essay yesterday and said that he just happened to mention that oh yea, they need a counter argument too... She went to her counselor to see if she could drop it next semester and the counselor said no since apparently almost the whole class has tried to drop!! Hopefully they head of English will step in and do something. Other than that, this year is going really well. Having the college decision made and finances sorted has taken a HUGE pressure off us and it is so nice!

I’m a little behind but wanted to comment on this - my DD took Seminar last year. Hardest AP class she has had (harder than Calc BC). She learned a lot in the class, but the AP score of 5 is meaningless — her university doesn’t give her any credit for that class. She is going to see if there is an appeal process... but not hopeful.

Would she do it again? Ummmm.... probably not. It will help her with thesis writing and college level courses, but just no reward for a massive amount of work.

I’m a little behind but wanted to comment on this - my DD took Seminar last year. Hardest AP class she has had (harder than Calc BC). She learned a lot in the class, but the AP score of 5 is meaningless — her university doesn’t give her any credit for that class. She is going to see if there is an appeal process... but not hopeful.

Would she do it again? Ummmm.... probably not. It will help her with thesis writing and college level courses, but just no reward for a massive amount of work.

That is good to know. We knew the credit was iffy and she was able to drop it for next semester. She will have Contemp Lit with a teacher she really likes and we are absolutely fine with that. This is the first year her HS offered the course and I feel like they pushed a lot of kids into it without really investigating. All her other AP courses will give her credit next year.

DD18 has been accepted by three of the five schools she applied to, and should hear soon from the other two. They were all relatively safe schools for her, so she now thinks she might want to apply to a couple of reach schools, regular decision. So it will probably be a while before we sort things out for her.

DD17 was accepted at her first choice, ED school last night. The financial package was totally in line (even a little more generous) with what I expected, so the decision is made and she will be attending Union College. I have been teary all day today - I am not sure if it is because it is now becoming so real, or if it is because I am so darn proud of her, or maybe a combination of both.

That is good to know. We knew the credit was iffy and she was able to drop it for next semester. She will have Contemp Lit with a teacher she really likes and we are absolutely fine with that. This is the first year her HS offered the course and I feel like they pushed a lot of kids into it without really investigating. All her other AP courses will give her credit next year.

Yes, this past year was the first year her HS offered it also. Originally, she was planning on doing year 2 - the research paper part, but I said no. I'm so relieved she decided not to take the 2nd year, because it would have been another year of massive work for minimal reward. Yes, there is value in what she learned and how much better prepared she is to write a paper ... but a bummer to not get an AP credit. I think her HS pushed a lot of kids into it last year - they had about 50-60 kids take it last year. I don't know how many are taking it this year, but based on other kids' reviews and feedback, I would imagine not as many.

good call to drop it!

Exciting to see acceptable letters coming in! Sure does help take some stress off the kids and parents!!

DD got an email yesterday from #1 choice that the “letter” will be sent by email today!

Last day tomorrow until Christmas break. We both need this. I work next week but get most of the second week off for some fun together with family and friends.

Got deferred at #1. Regular decision notices will be sent by April 1st.

So does she take a chance in waiting for their decision and possibilly losing spot at other two schools nursing programs?

Still has two more with decisions in February.

Stress saga continues :(

Got deferred at #1. Regular decision notices will be sent by April 1st.

So does she take a chance in waiting for their decision and possibilly losing spot at other two schools nursing programs?

Still has two more with decisions in February.

Stress saga continues :(

Oh I'm sorry she got deferred. To me that's harder than being turned down because now you have to wait. I know we can't make the decisions for our kids, but I'd encourage her to go with a school that already accepted her. I'm the type of person that would rather be safe. I've known a couple kids who were deferred and went to their second choice school, and ended up loving it.

Oh I'm sorry she got deferred. To me that's harder than being turned down because now you have to wait. I know we can't make the decisions for our kids, but I'd encourage her to go with a school that already accepted her. I'm the type of person that would rather be safe. I've known a couple kids who were deferred and went to their second choice school, and ended up loving it.

That is my thought too. Especially with her going into nursing I’m concerned she could lose her spots at the two she was excepted at.
This is all new to us (I went to community college). DD will talk to her counselor after Christmas break about this. Her other two choices will have decisions in February.
We talked about all of this last night. Trying to be realistic without being pushy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!