Parent's ads in senior year book... ideas needed!

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
I can't believe that my younger DS will be gratuating high school this year! Where did the time go?! :sad2:

Anyway, I remember seeing some threads in years past, posted by people asking for ideas on what to say in the ad. I'll be including a pic of DS, just not sure if it'll be the pic of his first fishing trip when he was 6 and it shows him holding the fishing line with his first catch on the end of it, and he's beaming! :fish: OR a more recent pic taken a couple of years ago during a jazz band concert. DS is wearing sunglasses (they all wore them, sort of like Blues Bros) and he's playing bass.. :cool2: the pic is taken from the side but you can definitely see his face. DS doesn't care which pic I use.

Anyway....can those of you who've done before please share your witty ideas? I think for DS20's parent ad I said something like "We're so proud of you and how creative you've always been, we know you'll do well in life" or something like that. DS20 moved out last month so I don't have his yearbook here to look back at.

Should I write something generic "We love you, we're proud of you, blah blah"? I'd like something a little more personal than that, but nothing too over the top.

Ideas appreciated, Thanks! :)

Write from your heart. You can't go wrong with that.

Great advice...I'm already sitting here with tears in my eyes, just thinking of all of the things I'd like to say to my son. (I'm such a sap! LOL) He has turned into an excellent young man whom I find extremely interesting, talented, creative, funny, hardworking, intelligent, and compassionate. He's very sensible, yet he's also a dreamer. I'm so proud to be his mother. :hug:

I guess I have to be careful with going overboard and possibly embarrassing him...LOL VS wanting it to be sincere.

Great advice...I'm already sitting here with tears in my eyes, just thinking of all of the things I'd like to say to my son. (I'm such a sap! LOL) He has turned into an excellent young man whom I find extremely interesting, talented, creative, funny, hardworking, intelligent, and compassionate. He's very sensible, yet he's also a dreamer. I'm so proud to be his mother. :hug:

I guess I have to be careful with going overboard and possibly embarrassing him...LOL VS wanting it to be sincere.

Then that is what you should write. Don't worry about embarrassing him. I would have loved it if my parents wrote something like that even if I was embarrassed at the time. Telling your kids how proud you are of them never ever gets old to them.

Then that is what you should write. Don't worry about embarrassing him. I would have loved it if my parents wrote something like that even if I was embarrassed at the time. Telling your kids how proud you are of them never ever gets old to them.

Thanks, you've inspired me to write from my heart... Here is what I have so far:

Robby

In what seems like the blink of an eye, you’ve gone from being an active pre-schooler who used to beat me at Mario Kart, to what you are now - a strong, interesting, talented, creative, funny, hardworking, intelligent, and compassionate young man who we are all so very proud of.

We all love you very much!

Mom, John, Dad, Gina, Craig, Ross

P.S. The comment about Mario Kart I think he'll get a kick out of because we laugh about that, even to this day! We remember when he was 4 years old, and he and I would play Mario Kart in the family room, while we waited for his older brothers to get home from school. He used to beat me all the time! LOL

That is absolutely perfect! Funny and personal, yet sentimental

I also struggled with what to say to my daughter last year and what to say to my son this year. I wanted to be witty, sentimental, not too embarrassing, and let them know how proud we are of them all in 250 letters and spaces or less.

For my daughter I wrote something about following her dreams and staying true to herself since she is very level headed and stands up to peer pressure well. For my son I wrote something about him being witty and kind and intelligent and told him to text us at least every once in awhile when he goes off to college.

That is absolutely perfect! Funny and personal, yet sentimental

I also struggled with what to say to my daughter last year and what to say to my son this year. I wanted to be witty, sentimental, not too embarrassing, and let them know how proud we are of them all in 250 letters and spaces or less.

For my daughter I wrote something about following her dreams and staying true to herself since she is very level headed and stands up to peer pressure well. For my son I wrote something about him being witty and kind and intelligent and told him to text us at least every once in awhile when he goes off to college.

Thanks :) I actually just added the last line to my ad, to say something similar to what you wrote "Stay true to yourself and you will succeed in everything you do". My DS is also level headed and has resisted a lot of peer pressure over the years. Fortunately, he's always had a great group of close friends (boys and girls) which I know helps too.

I think that I'm feeling more nostalgic and emotional this time because DS17 is my last one in high school and my "baby". lol

An ad in a yearbook? Is this something new?

I did my ad (half page) a few months ago and, of course, I came to the DIS for help. I wish I could find the old thread!

I think what you've written is great.

Since dd is the yearbook editor, she asked me to give the information directly to her teacher so it would be a surprise for her when she sees the completed yearbook. Here's what I ended up using for dd's:

"It's time to trust your instincts, close your eyes and leap!
Everyone deserves a chance to fly,
It's time to try defying gravity." -Wicked

It has been a privilege and an honor to watch you grow up to become such an incredible person. We're so very proud of you, Caitie, and we hope you're happy now and in the future. You deserve the very best that life has to offer.

With all our love,
Mommy and Alex

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter