Parenting trends you dislike?

When you see a fat child out eating cotton candy, cokes and ice cream like is so common at Disney it’s a very good indication of what’s going on. Often too the parents are fat.
No, I see people enjoying a vacation. Do you think there shouldn’t be any treats at Disney or are they only allowed for skinny people?

Some of the skinniest people I know are also the worst eaters I know.

I don't know why other people post things online, but I can share why I do, and it has nothing to do with showing off or keeping up with anyone. You asked, "what does it do for you?" This is what it does for me! I view Facebook as MY personal diary. I don't make posts for other people; I make posts for myself and our family. I post pics of our vacations and travels, post pics from my town (like our town hall decorated with Christmas Trees) post pics of our family celebrations etc. I also "share" things to my wall, that I want to read later. For example, articles that I see on National Parks or Disney that I want to read later or share with my husband or kids. I've been known to post pics of Easter baskets (gasp) etc. For me, I am not showing off, because I could care less what anyone else thinks and maybe my baskets are small or unimpressive. But what I like to do, is the following year, I may look back on that old post to remind myself what i did the year before for Easter.

Not a week goes by that I am not looking back on one of my old posts as a reference or reminder to myself. Last month one of my husband's co-workers was planning to trip to Moab Utah and wondered where we ate and stayed when we went 6 years ago. We have had a ton of trips since then and neither of us remembered. But it took me all of a few seconds to bring up my posts of Moab and right there in my pics and commentary was where we stayed and ate.

Did my Facebook friends think that I was "bragging" when I posted pics of that trip? Perhaps! But I don't care. I don't post pics on MY Facebook for other people, I post for myself and our family. Before Facebook, to answer the co-workers question, I would have had to dig through photos albums, boxes of pics, old journals etc. to find answers and I most likely wouldn't have bothered. But, with Facebook, I found the answers quickly and then my husband and I spent probably a half hour that night reminiscing about that trip. All thanks to Facebook!

I also happen to have a very small "friend" list on Facebook and don't accept friend requests from most people, unless they are a close friend or family member. In addition to my small friend list, about a quarter of the people who are my friends are actually blocked from my posts, but they don't know that.

I LOVE Facebook. It wouldn't even cross my mind that someone posted a pic of a vacation or Easter basket or family celebration to impress little ole me!! Haha! This goes back to my previous post. People need to have self confidence in themselves and their decisions and choices. If you feel good about yourself, then seeing pics on Facebook of someone's Easter basket or vacation, isn't going to affect you. You'll either look at the pics because they interest you or you just keep scrolling.

For me it has nothing to do with keeping up with the Joneses. I have less than 100 Facebook friends and I have never thought that their posts are bragging.

Do some people love to brag? Of course, but it's not something that would jump into my mind because of someone Facebook post.
With you on all of this. I spent 10 years as a digital nomad, criss-crossing the country with my dad in an RV. Still travel a ton (or did before the pandemic), and I personally want to be able to see at a glance where we were when. And honestly, some of it's for future memories too. My mom passed away shortly before Facebook. I have a box of photos and some old home videos, but lost most of my possessions in Hurricane Katrina. I would give anything to have my memories with my mom documented in an easy to use digital format like Facebook, and I'm darn sure going to make sure I have that documentation with my dad. It's also an easy way for my very small friends list to keep up with where I am and what I'm doing if they care to, if not, it doesn't bother me at all.

Hey there @summermom2! I got the notification that you responded to this post…
My oldest nursed 14-18 hours a day for the first few months. I didn’t pump at all (didn’t even own a pump), because the last thing I wanted to do after hours of nursing was hook a machine to me and do it some more. Of course, this meant that my husband couldn’t help with feedings so a disproportionate share of the childcare fell to me and I could never be away from my baby for more than an hour or so his first year of life.

Quick science lesson for anyone who needs a refresher: The hormone that aides in lactation, prolactin, also suppresses other hormones like estrogen and progesterone. Hormones play a role in just about everything your body does, so having them out of whack can cause a whole host of issues. I was a mental and physical disaster while breastfeeding. I was riddled with anxiety 24/7, I had electrical shock sensations shooting through my body, constant muscle spasms and twitches, and chronic joint pain so severe that some days trying to hold a coffee cup would put me into tears. (This is the abbreviated list of symptoms because we don’t have all day.) I had mastitis 19 times. Have you ever tried to take care of a two week old newborn by yourself (husband at work, no other family) while delirious with a 104.6* fever? Not fun. The breastfeeding suppressed my hormones to the point that my cycles didn’t return for more than a year and a half postpartum, which is kind of a problem when you were hoping to have another kid soon after the first.

At least my son got the benefits of breastfeeding though, right? Sure, there’s that, but I also think it had some downsides for him, too. Namely, he became the world’s clingiest baby. Some of that could just be his natural personality, but I have to believe having me be his one and only food source, his sole means of survival, had to have played a part in creating that. The only place he was ever content was in my arms. Not in the same room, not sitting next to me — in my arms. Which, again, put a disproportionate amount of the childcare onto one person. I had to hold him while he slept, I had to hold him while I cooked, while I cleaned, I took him into the shower with me… He had absolutely no ability to be independent for even a few seconds without panicking. It was relentless. I always say I’m surprised he ever learned to walk with as little as his feet ever touched the ground for the first year and a half. If that’s the “bonding” that comes from breastfeeding then I wouldn’t say it’s a healthy bond. He was bonded with his father, as in, this is a guy I like to be around. I existed more as a pair of boobs to him, though. His relationship with me was one of need and he was terrified if his lifeline was ever out of reach.

He nursed for 2 years and 7 months, mostly because I didn’t know how to make it stop. :laughing: He was very attached to nursing and I didn’t want to abruptly cut him off and turn it into some traumatizing event for him, so it went on way longer than I ever intended. By the time he was two I was so over it. It finally stopped when my milk dried up during my pregnancy with his younger brother.

So what did I do five months later when the next one was born? Well, I nursed him too, but I took a different approach. I supplemented with formula 50% of the time in the hopes that reducing the amount of breastfeeding would help my hormones stabilize better. It made a world of difference. I wasn’t consumed by pain and anxiety. I only had mastitis once. He self-weaned at four months in favor of the bottle and I was perfectly fine with that. My husband was able to be more hands-on which took a lot of the load off of me. My second son was so much less demanding and more independent. Again, I know personality plays a role, but not having to keep a constant eye on his sole food source probably helped him feel calmer, too.

So, why does no one ever talk about the negative aspects of breastfeeding? This is what irritates me about these hardcore breastfeeding advocates. They pretend to be all about educating women but they conveniently only focus on the (sometimes dubious) benefits that it provides to the child. They conveniently ignore the drawbacks and the mother’s wellbeing is absent from the conversation all together. Why aren’t they upfront about the connection between breastfeeding and PPD/PPA and all the other awful symptoms that hormone imbalances can cause? At least I knew what was happening to me because I’d dealt with hormonal issues before. My heart breaks when I think about how many women struggle with postpartum depression, possibly as a danger to themselves or their baby, and are given pills to alter their brain chemistry yet no one bothers to say “Hey, you might want to reconsider breastfeeding. There’s a link here.”

I’d have a lot more respect for the breastfeeding advocates if they advocated in an honest way and took a moderate approach, educating women on the big picture and telling them it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Instead, they talk about “nipple confusion” and act like a single bottle of formula is going to send your child down a degenerate life path. Yes, you must nurse day and night at the expense of everything else, for at least the first year, in a society that doesn’t even offer the minimal support of paid maternity leave. And if you can’t, well that’s your choice and I’m sorry you don’t love your baby enough to do what’s best for them. Hopefully they won’t be too sickly. :rolleyes2
…with one of these bad boys 😡 and I’m curious to know what it was about that post that made you angry? Was it the part where I said I exclusively breastfed my oldest son on-demand for more than 2 1/2 years even though it had an immense impact on my physical and mental health? Or the part where I said that despite the toll it took on me, I still wanted to nurse my second son and I was able to find a workable solution that allowed for that while taking care of my own health, allowing for a much better experience? Or was it the part where I said I want breastfeeding advocates to take a moderate approach and be honest about the challenges involved so women can make informed decisions and come up with a plan that accounts for the needs of both the woman and the baby?

I didn’t think any of that was particularly controversial. :confused:

People tend to talk about things they love and enjoy.

I would hope parents lives revolve around their children.

I disagree. There is a big difference with having a child in your family and loving your child, and having your whole life revolve around that child to the point where you stop doing what you love to do and just focus on that child. That is extremely unhealthy for both your and your child's mental well being. And you know exactly the type of people that I am talking about, not just your average, loving parents.

I don't know why other people post things online, but I can share why I do, and it has nothing to do with showing off or keeping up with anyone. You asked, "what does it do for you?" This is what it does for me! I view Facebook as MY personal diary. I don't make posts for other people; I make posts for myself and our family. I post pics of our vacations and travels, post pics from my town (like our town hall decorated with Christmas Trees) post pics of our family celebrations etc. I also "share" things to my wall, that I want to read later. For example, articles that I see on National Parks or Disney that I want to read later or share with my husband or kids. I've been known to post pics of Easter baskets (gasp) etc. For me, I am not showing off, because I could care less what anyone else thinks and maybe my baskets are small or unimpressive. But what I like to do, is the following year, I may look back on that old post to remind myself what i did the year before for Easter.

Not a week goes by that I am not looking back on one of my old posts as a reference or reminder to myself. Last month one of my husband's co-workers was planning to trip to Moab Utah and wondered where we ate and stayed when we went 6 years ago. We have had a ton of trips since then and neither of us remembered. But it took me all of a few seconds to bring up my posts of Moab and right there in my pics and commentary was where we stayed and ate.

Did my Facebook friends think that I was "bragging" when I posted pics of that trip? Perhaps! But I don't care. I don't post pics on MY Facebook for other people, I post for myself and our family. Before Facebook, to answer the co-workers question, I would have had to dig through photos albums, boxes of pics, old journals etc. to find answers and I most likely wouldn't have bothered. But, with Facebook, I found the answers quickly and then my husband and I spent probably a half hour that night reminiscing about that trip. All thanks to Facebook!

I also happen to have a very small "friend" list on Facebook and don't accept friend requests from most people, unless they are a close friend or family member. In addition to my small friend list, about a quarter of the people who are my friends are actually blocked from my posts, but they don't know that.

I LOVE Facebook. It wouldn't even cross my mind that someone posted a pic of a vacation or Easter basket or family celebration to impress little ole me!! Haha! This goes back to my previous post. People need to have self confidence in themselves and their decisions and choices. If you feel good about yourself, then seeing pics on Facebook of someone's Easter basket or vacation, isn't going to affect you. You'll either look at the pics because they interest you or you just keep scrolling.

For me it has nothing to do with keeping up with the Joneses. I have less than 100 Facebook friends and I have never thought that their posts are bragging.

Do some people love to brag? Of course, but it's not something that would jump into my mind because of someone Facebook post.

I am not talking about what you do for your private self and you family. I am talking about those who post it for the whole world to see. I have seen posts where people give a daily report on what their child is doing. Not only is that completely ridiculous, it is dangerous for that kid. Predators learn your child's schedule. That is what I am talking about. How would I know what you post if you keep it private? That makes no sense.

The quotes above are the parenting trends that I dislike.

I wish that parents had enough confidence in their life and decisions that they wouldn't give a flip if another parent gave their kids some skittles on St. Patrick's Day or gifts on Valentines or Easter! If you don't want to do something like that, then don't, but feel good about it. Why have the feelings of "I just lost it" or "now we're supposed to give gifts to our kids too?" WHY!!!!! Why would you think that! In the same vein, if some parents give their kids a kid Birthday party every year, but your preference is to give your kids a kid Birthday party, every other year, or every third year or not at all, then own that decision. Don't "lose it" or feel you are "supposed" to do that.

Have enough confidence in yourself, your decisions and your choices that you are not affected by what others are doing! Truly, I can't stand that parenting trend and I always cringe when someone finds fault or complains because the mom down the street gave their kids some extra treats and gasp, shared their fun on social media! Maybe look inside yourself and figure out why exactly it bothers you so much!

My kids are grown at 29 and 26. But, I LOVED to do extras! Gifts for Easter and Valentine's Day, heck yes! Had the Elf on the Shelf been invented when they were little or had I thought of such a thing, I would have LOVED that. Heck sometimes in the summertime at my parent's place at the lake, I would make up treasure hunts for my kids and my nieces and nephews for absolutely no reason or holiday at all, I did it because it was FUN for me and them! It would seem odd to me that Mary down the street would have "lost it" or felt that they were now "supposed" to make a treasure hunt, just because I did!

Again, if you don't want to do that for your kids, fine, but feel comfortable about that instead of finding fault with people that do. Also keep in mind, that you are most likely doing extras or fun things for your kids in other ways that not everyone else is doing.
Ha, you want to know how extra I am? We celebrate Arbor Day and give gifts! :laughing: It started as a joke but it’s been fun so we’ve kept it up. We plant a tree, the kids have an “acorn” hunt, and they get one or two nature-inspired books/shirts/toys. In fairness, we don’t celebrate things like Valentine’s Day, Easter, and St. Patrick’s Day and Thanksgiving barely has a pulse in our house, so they haven’t become over-indulged brats just yet. ;)

I disagree. There is a big difference with having a child in your family and loving your child, and having your whole life revolve around that child to the point where you stop doing what you love to do and just focus on that child. That is extremely unhealthy for both your and your child's mental well being. And you know exactly the type of people that I am talking about, not just your average, loving parents.
Your child should be the most important thing in your life, but sure there is a spectrum..some abandon their kids and others smuther them. The Trackers seem perfectly normal especially for a couple who wanted kids but thought it would never happen. So if they are your idea of being obsessed in an unhealthy way then I would have to say that's ridiculous, they are just (or come off as) happy loving parents.

Last edited:
Your child should be the most important thing in your life, but sure there is a spectrum..some abandon their kids and others smuther them. The Trackers seem perfectly normal especially for a couple who wanted kids but thought it would never happen. So if they are your idea of being obsessed in an unhealthy way then I would have to say that's ridiculous, they are just (or come off as) happy loving parents.

I did not not say that they should not be "the most important thing in your life", you are changing my words. I said that a parent's life should not REVOLVE around their child. There is a huge distinction between the two. I have to wonder why you would change what I said and twist it around? For what reason? The amount of times that they have said "Jackson" is enough to make a person want to stab their eardrums.

I truly didn't know what emoji to use. Sad face that you think kids don't deserve a treat at WDW. Treats are just for skinny kids? A wow or mad face that you judge overweight people. The term fat is cruel.
Pretty much what my post says. Fat children often are unhealthy eaters. They shouldn’t be eating junk food. That’s the parents fault.

No, I see people enjoying a vacation. Do you think there shouldn’t be any treats at Disney or are they only allowed for skinny people?

Some of the skinniest people I know are also the worst eaters I know.
What I think is that a fat child should be taught to eat properly. When the parents are obese that is not happening.

I did not not say that they should not be "the most important thing in your life", you are changing my words. I said that a parent's life should not REVOLVE around their child. There is a huge distinction between the two. I have to wonder why you would change what I said and twist it around? For what reason? The amount of times that they have said "Jackson" is enough to make a person want to stab their eardrums.
I just tend to think that everyone's life revolves around what's most important to them...sure other things can fit into that but things also get bumped and prioritized.

Didn't mean to twist, I j

I just tend to think that everyone's life revolves around what's most important to them...sure other things can fit into that but things also get bumped

Life should be a balance. A parent should not give up what they like to do and just focus on their children. How many times do we see moms that go through a horrible depression when their kids grow up because they let everything that made them happy go and made their children's life their only focus. They don't know what to do with themselves when the kids don't need them anymore. You can love your children and make sure that they have a great childhood, without making their life, your life. That is completely unhealthy for both the parent and the child.

Life should be a balance. A parent should not give up what they like to do and just focus on their children. How many times do we see moms that go through a horrible depression when their kids grow up because they let everything that made them happy go and made their children's life their only focus. They don't know what to do with themselves when the kids don't need them anymore. You can love your children and make sure that they have a great childhood, without making their life, your life. That is completely unhealthy for both the parent and the child.
But there's a huge difference between a young child and young adult or almost adult, it's really hard to be the primary caregiver of a 0-5 year old for example and not basically have that be the bulk of your life

But there's a huge difference between a young child and young adult or almost adult, it's really hard to be the primary caregiver of a 0-5 year old for example and not basically have that be the bulk of your life
Now you are changing the dynamics of what we are talking about again. I am sorry, but I think that you know exactly what I am talking about.

Now you are changing the dynamics of what we are talking about again. I am sorry, but I think that you know exactly what I am talking about.
The Trackers have a child in that age range and you called them out...I'm not changing anything.

People's lives revolve around what's most important ..that generally should include your children

Young children need to be cared for and require massive amounts of your time per day thus its normal to be consumed by parenting.

I hope I don't know what your talking about, because if I do then you fall into my shouldn't have kids category and maybe you've put your self there I don't know but I would hate to just assume that of you.

I don't get why people even post these things about their family online. Why? What does it do for you to, like we used to say "show off" like that? I never posted anything about my kids online and we just live our lives for ourselves. It is a strange new way of "keeping up with the Joneses".
I am not talking about what you do for your private self and you family. I am talking about those who post it for the whole world to see. I have seen posts where people give a daily report on what their child is doing. Not only is that completely ridiculous, it is dangerous for that kid. Predators learn your child's schedule. That is what I am talking about. How would I know what you post if you keep it private? That makes no sense.

Okay, gotcha!

However, in your first response to me what you actually said was that you didn't "get why people even post these things about their family online". So, I answered your question.

But apparently you were actually talking about people who have their Facebook open to the world to read with absolutely no privacy settings??

I truly don't know a single person who does that. Sure, I know people who have 500+ friends, but have a privacy setting so people who aren't their friends can't see their posts.

Obviously, I agree it would be absolutely insane to post ANYTHING about your kids on-line for all of the world to see. But, that didn't appear to be what you were saying in your first post.

The Trackers have a child in that age range and you called them out...I'm not changing anything.

People's lives revolve around what's most important ..that generally should include your children

Young children need to be cared for and require massive amounts of your time per day thus its normal to be consumed by parenting.

I hope I don't know what your talking about, because if I do then you fall into my shouldn't have kids category and maybe you've put your self there I don't know but I would hate to just assume that of you.

I am talking about parents that are incapable of having a conversation that does not revolve around their kids. While my kids where growing up, they got what they needed from us, love, attention, we would do things, etc but I also kept up with what was going on, I still had my own hobbies and interests that I stayed involved with. I had a co worker that worked part time that could not hold a conversation about anything other then what her child was doing. No matter what news story I brought up or current events happening, she was clueless because she completely focused on her child when not at work. By what you are saying, it seems that you think that parents are incapable of doing anything other then focusing on their child which is ludicrous. Plenty of people have jobs, hobbies, and other responsibilities but manage to raise children at the same time. So now you are the one judging those who don't put 100% of their focus on their child. God forbid you have a hobby while you have children.

With you on all of this. I spent 10 years as a digital nomad, criss-crossing the country with my dad in an RV. Still travel a ton (or did before the pandemic), and I personally want to be able to see at a glance where we were when. And honestly, some of it's for future memories too. My mom passed away shortly before Facebook. I have a box of photos and some old home videos, but lost most of my possessions in Hurricane Katrina. I would give anything to have my memories with my mom documented in an easy to use digital format like Facebook, and I'm darn sure going to make sure I have that documentation with my dad. It's also an easy way for my very small friends list to keep up with where I am and what I'm doing if they care to, if not, it doesn't bother me at all.

You lived my dream with traveling around the country in an RV! We hope to do that part time when we are retired.

I am so sorry that you lost your possessions in hurricane Katrina........that's so heartbreaking........

When we do our big National Park trips, I post pics to my Facebook page every time we have Wi-Fi. Then they are safe and preserved. If I lose my phone or it gets broken, I haven't lost all of my photos. (Years ago, before Facebook, my camera was stolen at the end of a two week National Park trip. All of my photos were gone. I was crushed.) Now, it's great not to have that worry, because every few days, I can make Facebook posts. Plus, my friends and family who are interested in our travels can follow along.

Yes, I agree having everything documented on Facebook is great! I love being able to look back on various trips so easily. I always tell people that my Facebook is my personal diary and if they want to follow along on our adventures to come along, but my posts are for me and my family first.

I am talking about parents that are incapable of having a conversation that does not revolve around their kids. While my kids where growing up, they got what they needed from us, love, attention, we would do things, etc but I also kept up with what was going on, I still had my own hobbies and interests that I stayed involved with. I had a co worker that worked part time that could not hold a conversation about anything other then what her child was doing. No matter what news story I brought up or current events happening, she was clueless because she completely focused on her child when not at work. By what you are saying, it seems that you think that parents are incapable of doing anything other then focusing on their child which is ludicrous. Plenty of people have jobs, hobbies, and other responsibilities but manage to raise children at the same time. So now you are the one judging those who don't put 100% of their focus on their child. God forbid you have a hobby while you have children.
I think when you're in the thick of parenting young kids, it's easy for that to happen because they need so much from you. You need to be intentional to make sure it doesn't happen. One of the things that really helped me was forming a book club when my older son was young with many of my friends from my mom's club. We decided early on that we wouldn't read parenting, self-help, or relationship advice books for book club. We scheduled our monthly meetings at times when we wouldn't have little ones under foot and made the club a priority. While we do talk some about our kids, they aren't the focus of our meetings. We understand that we are all busy so we don't get upset if everyone hasn't had time to finish the book. The book club has been going for more than a decade and during some crazy times it's what helped me keep my sanity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter