Parade venting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, entitled much? if I have to wait an extra hour to get a front row spot while you take that extra time enjoying rides than I will stand if I want. Many people are not comfortable sitting on cement or have medical issues with their knees. I personally always sit for my own confort but if somones wants to stand good for them.

How is it "nice" to want everyone to conform to what is best for you? The nice thing is to not attack people on the internet because you thought they were rude when in fact you are the rude one.

Isn't that the truth :thumbsup2

I was with my 5 yr old daughter at the Beauty and the Beast play at HS, we got there late and had to sit way over on the side. I was mentally grumbling to myself and feeling bad for my daughter for not having a better view.....I then saw a family with their daughter in a wheelchair, she was obviously in pretty bad shape, they were wearing blue shirts, I looked closer because there was a white logo on the shirts and saw "Make a Wish". I quit grumbling.

i think we're all a little guilty of this at times, and sometimes need reminders to count our blessings.
:goodvibes

I was at the Halloween party in Oct 2011 and had a situation with the whole sitting verse standing thing. It was the last villain show of the night and having gotten most of the things that we wanted to do finished we headed to the show a little early so that we could get a good place so that I could take pictures (wanted to get some shots with the smoke effect). We get there about 20 minutes before the show and were standing there talking. More families were coming and we had a family that came in and sat down behind us. About 5 minutes before the show that mom turned to us and is a nasty voice said “You are going to sit down when the show starts, right?” I ,very nicely I might add, said that I was planning on standing for the show so I could take pictures. I mean who stands for the 20 minutes before the show then sits for it once it starts. Well she just started telling me off about how rude that was and her kids weren’t going to be able to see.

Now I got there early and not only did I want to take pictures, but the ground was hard, dirty and COLD (i was also in a skirt..not really short, but sit). She was so mean I ended up sitting down because I didn’t want to start a scene and end the night on a bad note. Needless to say I didn’t get any of my pictures and could barely see the show….

It always amazes me how it all comes to "once in a life time trips" and "hidden medical conditions". It is just a parade, nobody needs to know why this and why that. Simply get there early if it is so important or just take what you get and do not expect people to bend out of shape to make it better for you. Yes they were there before and yes they can sit or stand, just because they want to without explaining themselves or justifying their choices. :confused3

I don't really get the parades or the need to be right in front for them.

But last week I saw a lady with blankets covering a spot big enough for about 10 people laying on the curb in part of the hub along the parade route a good 2 hours before the parade. Looked like she was reading a book or something. I assume it was a mommom or something saving a spot while the family toured. I hadn't seen this before at WDW.

I don't really get the parades or the need to be right in front for them.

But last week I saw a lady with blankets covering a spot big enough for about 10 people laying on the curb in part of the hub along the parade route a good 2 hours before the parade. Looked like she was reading a book or something. I assume it was a mommom or something saving a spot while the family toured. I hadn't seen this before at WDW.

i'm with you on this. :thumbsup2

on our last day at mk, we left just around 12.30pm, there were 2 women, sat apart on the kerb, each with one sneaker tied from their feet and stretched out the length of the unfastened laces-it was quite a sight.

but hey, each to their own, i always think whatever someone wants to do is up to them, as long as no one else is hurt in any way. :)

At 5 months pregnant, I was not going to sit or kneel on the gorund so a late-comer could see. And my husband has an artificial hip so he is really uncomfortable getting on the ground. We stood right behind our son's stroller. If someone came up behind us as the parade started, I would not have felt any compulsion to make myself incredibly uncomfortable in order for them to get a better view. Sorry if that makes me a rotten person with a black heart.

It always amazes me how it all comes to "once in a life time trips" and "hidden medical conditions". It is just a parade, nobody needs to know why this and why that. Simply get there early if it is so important or just take what you get and do not expect people to bend out of shape to make it better for you. Yes they were there before and yes they can sit or stand, just because they want to without explaining themselves or justifying their choices. :confused3

Thank you! :thumbsup2

I stand because I want to, not because I cant sit.. If you want to be in front of me, get there before me.

The people from some places (and often countries) are simply less courteous than others.

These folks seemingly have no trouble cutting lines, leaving bags to 'reserve' places at shows, taking flash photos, and/or talking during performances.

These are often the same people who cause gratuity problems in restaurants.

Don't get me wrong, Americans are not the most polite people, but we would likely be further up on a list than many who attend Disney.

And I have to agree with the initial blogger and comment that prompted my response - all too often the most 'rude' participants at parades and those other moments I described are speaking a language other than English.

Again, don't get me wrong, language is not the issue. But some cultures are simply more or less courteous than others.

Oh, I don't think anyone is going to misunderstand what you meant. It is very clear. Incredibly xenophobic, but very clear.

I suppose an adult who is in front has "the right" to stand...but it does seem incredibly selfish, not to mention childish, to stand and not let a kid behind you get in front of you.

If you're going to stand, anyway, what is the harm in letting someone sit down in front of you? Or just let the kid behind you stand in front of you?

I don't get the mindset of someone who wants to stand, but must be in front. You have the right, of course. It seems more than a little petulant, though.

I wouldn't go that far. Generally people are nice, there are just occasions that you get rude and entitled both ways. Some people pull the "I was here first and have every right to stand here despite being seven feet tall and blocking the view of five children!!!" and others who get their right at the time the parade starts and want to squeeze their kids into the spot right in front of you, (which is honestly not a big if its just one three foot tall kid)..and then "oh my kids are there, and I need to be with them!" and suddenly you can't see. And then my new favorite "I hope you like the view on my iPad because I am going to block the parade for everyone, but you see it through my giant screen!"

However, these are extremely examples. Usually when I am at a parade, I get there 15 minutes or so beforehand and am fine. The last real parade we watched was at Star Wars Weekend. Everyone was so nice and cordial (it was super hot, so we were happy to find some shade!) and we spent time rearranging everyone so they could all see. We put all the strollers behind us, all the kids in the front, and then the adults staggered themselves, and we were all able to get a great view, no fighting, no hassle, and made new friends that we kept seeing all throughout the parks the rest of the day.

That's sort of true, I've never had these actual issues at a parade, I think in large part it is a product of this board. But, I don't shove my way up front, and I don't camp out for an hour before hand. I just roam the parade line, and if I see a spot, I may stay and watch. Personally, I like the decrease in ride lines during these times.

But the ipad thing - just how often should I expect to see these in front of me? I've been noticing this more and more lately just doing random things liek the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.

I've never thought about the ins and outs of watching a parade...

Is it rude to sit on the curb while waiting for 30 min and then stand just before the parade starts? Sort of falsely advertising the fact that you're a sitter?

I feel ridiculous writing this for what it's worth :rotfl:

You know what's more fun? Sitting and having someone step on you or crowd in on you.

We try to sit most of the time, and try finding somewhere out of the way that won't have a lot of people around us.

But, the last time I was at Walt Disney World, both my children were marching in the 3PM parade at the Magic Kingdom. We did not sit. We found the perfect spot in the middle of the street at Hub with the castle in front of us where the parade turns towards Frontierland. We stood and took tons of pictures.

Sorry if we were in your way. Althoug we left as soon as our band went by. :rotfl:

aaarcher86 said:
I've never thought about the ins and outs of watching a parade...

Is it rude to sit on the curb while waiting for 30 min and then stand just before the parade starts? Sort of falsely advertising the fact that you're a sitter?

I feel ridiculous writing this for what it's worth :rotfl:

The OP seems to think so.

Oh, I don't think anyone is going to misunderstand what you meant. It is very clear. Incredibly xenophobic, but very clear.

No need for name calling. Especially when what they said is factual. We ate at a restraunt while at Disney and it was slow so I chatted with our waiter because he had grown up near where we live. I asked him about who tends to tip and who doesn't and he confirmed what this poster had said. He named the countries that has the worst offenders, I wasn't surprised because I have similar experiences at my business. FYI, Brazillians tend to tip well...I mention this because the BTGs tend to attract alot of heated posts here from time to time. He said that the folks who tend NOT to tip are the very ones who will work you to death. Right about the time he said this a waiter at the table next to us threw down the check wallet and said "thanks guys" real loud (the customers had already left and he was cleaning up the table). Because of the way we were seated my Wife had a clear view of the table the whole meal and she said the people had kept the poor guy running almost the entire time. They left NO tip.

As for line-cutting and impatient behavior: I've got a good friend who is from another country (not going to say which country because that isn't important and I don't want to start an internation incident :lmao: ) and he said when he first moved to America that he was amazed at how patient Americans are. He said "you guys will stand patiently in line for an hour, that would NEVER happen where I come from". He said that in most countries if you allow any gap to appear between you and the person in front of you that someone will quickly barge in.

With that knowledge I'm not near as critical of some foreigner's behavior while at Disney because I now know that they don't necessarily know that their actions are rude....they are just doing what they are used to doing.

On a side note, while riding the monorail a man from China who could speak English only so-so asked me a question about how to get to the parking lot where the buses from non-Disney hotels do their pickups and I took my time explaining where to get off and where to go. He thanked me warmly and said "Americans are very nice and helpful people and he enjoyed being here".

I agree. In fact I think it would be great if everyone sat during the castle show. The stage is elevated 6 feet or so, and there is no bad viewing spot, until the people in front stand, blocking everyones view. With the stage elevated so, standing doesn't improve the view. Maybe they stand because their legs are cramped, but I think it would be nicer if everyone stood while waiting and then sat during the show. However, the only person I can control is myself, and some days I do a poor job at that. :goodvibes

I don't understand why people sit at the castle shows. It's so elevated that everyone can see it standing. Plus it's hard to see sitting down and it hurts my neck looking up the whole time.

I think it is the job of the international traveler to know the custom where they are going, not the other way around (expecting folks here to understand it is not their custom back home).

Absolutely, fully agree - but if you don't know what questions to ask you won't find out the answer. I knew it was custom to tip here, however I had absolutely no idea servers relied on it. I didn't realise there was minimum wage and then servers wage. To me, being British, a minimum wage means that every worker, no matter what sector, is paid no less than that, no exceptions.

I asked them politely to move. They said no.
I made my child sit in my lap
A woman from that same party tried to get in from of us. I kicked her. Sorry but I did.
She moved but she thought my chair was hers to lean on. RUDE!

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

:rotfl2: Good for you, Restless leg syndrome acting up huh?

That's sort of true, I've never had these actual issues at a parade, I think in large part it is a product of this board. But, I don't shove my way up front, and I don't camp out for an hour before hand. I just roam the parade line, and if I see a spot, I may stay and watch. Personally, I like the decrease in ride lines during these times.

But the ipad thing - just how often should I expect to see these in front of me? I've been noticing this more and more lately just doing random things liek the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.

We were there in October and it seemed like everyone had an iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter