• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney wants to make longer stays more economical b/c that keeps ppl from going elsewhere in Orlando. That’s why tix are cheaper the longer you stay. We don’t do uni for this exact reason. We have been but prefer wdw & for $20 more or less we can stay an extra day or 2. If we go to uni during a trip that’s an extra $300 or more.

I wish this also applied to the Disney hotel rooms as well considering they're trying to get people to stay on property. Especially since the perks of staying onsite are slowly diluting in value as more of them get built.

But at what point does it start damaging the brand? I don't know the answer to that personally. I just wonder if they start doing brand damage, if it will have any affect on them during the next recession. Maybe, maybe not...

I think it already is. In some circles. Ten years ago my boss had no qualms about telling everyone that he stayed at GF and Poly. This week my office mate was talking about her 'crazy Aunt' who spends a ridiculous amount of money to stay at AKL. I avoid telling people where we're staying unless asked. I avoid telling people we've been going yearly. I work in an environment with people who tend to be more practical then probably the general population. Yes there are people who like fine/fashionable things but generally aren't conspicuous about it at work. I get a lot of side eye about Disney which is why I avoid telling people. The conversation invariably turns to how expensive it is. I honestly got less side eye telling people we were going to Jamaica last year. And most of the people I work with can afford Disney.

I think it's developing a reputation for being a more conspicuously flashy vacation. A way to flaunt that you have money, not the old brand image of being a really family friendly place. Is that 'damage' or what Disney wants? I don't know. But it feels different. And it's a little crazy for a theme park based on a cartoon mouse to seem to be going for an elitist brand identity but whatever works for Disney I guess.

It’s one thing to claim you’re priced out as far as the value you (collective) see vs acting like you’re priced out of going at all. To me, that’s dramatic. I don’t love the price increases either. And, I'm good at refreshing so I don’t want to pay for FP. And, I have no interest in SWGE so the price increase to justify expansion doesn’t do anything for me either.

I don't pretend to know what anyone else's finances are, but I'll guess by the time most people actually give up on a vacation they love, they've been past their rational budget level for a while. So maybe the real drama is that they were going in the first place.

Besides, vacations are emotional experiences for people, it's understandable I think.

I think it already is. In some circles. Ten years ago my boss had no qualms about telling everyone that he stayed at GF and Poly. This week my office mate was talking about her 'crazy Aunt' who spends a ridiculous amount of money to stay at AKL. I avoid telling people where we're staying unless asked. I avoid telling people we've been going yearly. I work in an environment with people who tend to be more practical then probably the general population. Yes there are people who like fine/fashionable things but generally aren't conspicuous about it at work. I get a lot of side eye about Disney which is why I avoid telling people. The conversation invariably turns to how expensive it is. I honestly got less side eye telling people we were going to Jamaica last year. And most of the people I work with can afford Disney.

I think it's developing a reputation for being a more conspicuously flashy vacation. A way to flaunt that you have money, not the old brand image of being a really family friendly place. Is that 'damage' or what Disney wants? I don't know. But it feels different. And it's a little crazy for a theme park based on a cartoon mouse to seem to be going for an elitist brand identity but whatever works for Disney I guess.

The club level thing is what really blows my mind. I just don't get it. I don't get spending that kind of money. It makes no sense to me.

It's not how we do Disney and we still have a great time. Maybe people think everything is priced like those rooms? Someone asked me how I can afford it and I answered ONLY because it was a good friend who did the asking. Discounts, points, Visa rewards, value hotels, eating quick service is how we roll. I know people who spend way more on one trip a year to a different destination compared to what I spend on 3 trips to Disney. I'm working on our budget for a trip to D.C. next summer and it will probably cost the same as Disney, even with all the free things to do.

Not sure why Disney has a stigma attached to it. Maybe it's the marketing. I don't know.

The club level thing is what really blows my mind. I just don't get it. I don't get spending that kind of money. It makes no sense to me.

It's not how we do Disney and we still have a great time. Maybe people think everything is priced like those rooms? Someone asked me how I can afford it and I answered ONLY because it was a good friend who did the asking. Discounts, points, Visa rewards, value hotels, eating quick service is how we roll. I know people who spend way more on one trip a year to a different destination compared to what I spend on 3 trips to Disney. I'm working on our budget for a trip to D.C. next summer and it will probably cost the same as Disney, even with all the free things to do.

Not sure why Disney has a stigma attached to it. Maybe it's the marketing. I don't know.

People are so bizarre.

The only time I would act all judgey about someone's vacation is if I was secretly jealous and wanted to go! Or if they owed me money! :rotfl:

Otherwise, go forth and enjoy life people!

People are so bizarre.

The only time I would act all judgey about someone's vacation is if I was secretly jealous and wanted to go! Or if they owed me money! :rotfl:

Otherwise, go forth and enjoy life people!

I couldn't care less where people go or how much they spend. Not my business, but if a friend complains about the cost when they start planning I do steer them in the right direction for discounts and ways to budget and still have fun.

Many of my students say to me how do you afford Disneyworld? I say the same way I always have, with FL resident discounts. Your parents can do the same. I know that the population of children I work with aren't in the same financial class as me so when I say their parents can do the same, I know it'll take a lot more than just an income tax refund to send them there. I've actually had two, who I assumed by the stories they tell me couldn't make it to Disney tell me they are going in May! I'm excited for them and told them I want pictures! Their parents have my cell phone number so they can text me pictures! :D

Now when adults ask me or say they've never been and don't believe they ever will, I ask why? Why do you believe you never will? They say, it's too expensive. I go.....really? And I point to myself. I remind them...teacher....getting paid ONCE a month with bills that often take us right down on the low end in our checking account EVERY month. Does it look like I have money just sitting around collecting dust? :rotfl2::rotfl2: Yes, I make more than my husband now...but it still gets tight every now and again. These people are Florida residents and when they hear what I've paid for my current trip and what we paid on our trip back in 2015, they go...that's it?? I go....yup! Now granted, they may have the extra child or two so that's going to raise the price just a bit...but overall, they can still go and not come back worried about not having money to cover their monthly bills because it was all given to Disney on a whim. :scared1: I don't go to Disney often...every 3-4 years, so when my family is going, I share whenever the desire hits me. Most are very happy for me! One of my colleagues asks me every couple days about my countdown. :hyper: I've already mentioned to another colleague that when the paid FPs come....I WILL pay for one so my family can use them on the SWGE attractions! I'd do it without a second's hesitation. It would have to be some outrageous number for me to not even bother. So long as I'm still guaranteed my "FREE" initial 3, then I'm good.

It is amazing that Disneyworld is the place that used to be so easy to get to and now you have to really save and plan to get there. I mean even with my FL resident discount the deluxe resorts hurt my feelings. I would LOVE to stay at AKL one day....but that may be something we can only do for one night and then transfer back down to the values. The moderates aren't too bad and maybe when we return in 3 or 4 years, we'll give one of those a try. I will continue to go to Disney till the day I die. It's the ONE vacation spot that ALWAYS makes me happy. It would have to REALLY go downhill and become more like a Six Flags for me to stop going altogether.

But you’re not. That’s to get on rides quicker. You always have the option to wait in lines.
We usually travel in summer due to kids in school. Without fast pass, I will be waiting in line for hours to get on a few rides (especially the more popular rides.) For my family of 5, a $25pp fp fee adds up to $125 extra per day on top of the already high ticket prices. That will single handedly kill the value of park tickets for me. Spending my entire park day in line or spending $125/day extra above and beyond park ticket costs is ludicrous to me. That would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me and I doubt I'm the only one. When Disney stops being enjoyable is when I will start vacationing elsewhere.

I think it’s more ppl who don’t get liking wdw. Everyone in my circle who likes it, gets it. The only ppl who look at me funny sometimes are coworkers that I don’t know well who don’t like it & so don’t get paying for it. But I’m like you, I always go when I can get a discount & other destinations that we like always cost way more. We are not sit on a beach or camping ppl. So that’s about all that I know of that’s chepaer.

We usually travel in summer due to kids in school. Without fast pass, I will be waiting in line for hours to get on a few rides (especially the more popular rides.) For my family of 5, a $25pp fp fee adds up to $125 extra per day on top of the already high ticket prices. That will single handedly kill the value of park tickets for me. Spending my entire park day in line or spending $125/day extra above and beyond park ticket costs is ludicrous to me. That would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me and I doubt I'm the only one. When Disney stops being enjoyable is when I will start vacationing elsewhere.
Of course. I would hope everyone only vacations where they enjoy it & see value.

But priced out of going at all or priced out of Poly? I don’t like the constant increases either & it’s made us change how often we go. But, I think some ppl are being dramatic about being priced out of going at all unless they have very large families which isn’t the norm.
The reference to the Poly is really just meant to show how things have changed so drastically. I would say priced out completely both in terms of value and affordability. Value is of course subjective but to us it just isn't there any more.

Right now, there are only a very few rides at each of the parks that are hard-to-get FP+s: FoP at DAK, 2DMT and PPF at MK, SDD at DHS, and perhaps both Soarin' and TT at Epcot. When SWGE opens, that will be another 1 or 2 very hard-to-get FP+s. Do these few rides make it somehow inevitable that there'll be paid FP+s in the future? Seriously? Because surely no one is going to pay for FP+s for Country Bears or even SE. Is WDW going to create lines and crowds at attractions in order to force people to buy FP+s for them? They kinda did with FP+--create lines, I mean. SE had forever been a walk-on. Only with FP+ did it become a necessity to get a FP+ for it. So maybe they have this strategy in mind. I dunno. But I personally won't be paying for a FP+ to see Figment or be tortured by the never-ending song in iasm, for example.

I think it’s more ppl who don’t get liking wdw. Everyone in my circle who likes it, gets it. The only ppl who look at me funny sometimes are coworkers that I don’t know well who don’t like it & so don’t get paying for it. But I’m like you, I always go when I can get a discount & other destinations that we like always cost way more. We are not sit on a beach or camping ppl. So that’s about all that I know of that’s chepaer.

You will never see me camping again after many a nightmare trip as a kid. LOL

Many of my students say to me how do you afford Disneyworld? I say the same way I always have, with FL resident discounts. Your parents can do the same. I know that the population of children I work with aren't in the same financial class as me so when I say their parents can do the same, I know it'll take a lot more than just an income tax refund to send them there. I've actually had two, who I assumed by the stories they tell me couldn't make it to Disney tell me they are going in May! I'm excited for them and told them I want pictures! Their parents have my cell phone number so they can text me pictures! :D

Now when adults ask me or say they've never been and don't believe they ever will, I ask why? Why do you believe you never will? They say, it's too expensive. I go.....really? And I point to myself. I remind them...teacher....getting paid ONCE a month with bills that often take us right down on the low end in our checking account EVERY month. Does it look like I have money just sitting around collecting dust? :rotfl2::rotfl2: Yes, I make more than my husband now...but it still gets tight every now and again. These people are Florida residents and when they hear what I've paid for my current trip and what we paid on our trip back in 2015, they go...that's it?? I go....yup! Now granted, they may have the extra child or two so that's going to raise the price just a bit...but overall, they can still go and not come back worried about not having money to cover their monthly bills because it was all given to Disney on a whim. :scared1: I don't go to Disney often...every 3-4 years, so when my family is going, I share whenever the desire hits me. Most are very happy for me! One of my colleagues asks me every couple days about my countdown. :hyper: I've already mentioned to another colleague that when the paid FPs come....I WILL pay for one so my family can use them on the SWGE attractions! I'd do it without a second's hesitation. It would have to be some outrageous number for me to not even bother. So long as I'm still guaranteed my "FREE" initial 3, then I'm good.

It is amazing that Disneyworld is the place that used to be so easy to get to and now you have to really save and plan to get there. I mean even with my FL resident discount the deluxe resorts hurt my feelings. I would LOVE to stay at AKL one day....but that may be something we can only do for one night and then transfer back down to the values. The moderates aren't too bad and maybe when we return in 3 or 4 years, we'll give one of those a try. I will continue to go to Disney till the day I die. It's the ONE vacation spot that ALWAYS makes me happy. It would have to REALLY go downhill and become more like a Six Flags for me to stop going altogether.
This has not been my experience. For us & ppl I know, it used to be only a place wealthy ppl can go & now ppl find a way. That’s why it’s always so packed!

So from reading this thread, I understand that WDW seems to be the only park worldwide that’s doesn't make you pay for FP. So, if that’s the case, paid FP was probably inevitable. The only thing that probably took them so long is making sure there would be a market for it & figuring out the logistics.

I agree...I am a caseworker at the state assistance office and people on my caseload go to Disney pretty often.
I’m a social worker & have seen the same. But the pp is right...I didn’t think about credit. We don’t ever charge our vacations so I didn’t think about that being a way for many to go who otherwise couldn’t. Disney also essentially lets you put the vacation on layaway by letting you book it with a minimal deposit & pay it off by a certain point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter