Paid Fastpass.

I think everyone in this thread is either forgetting, drastically underestimating, or ignoring some of the benefits and value to saying on site. I'm not saying that it is worth it, that is a personal decision for each of us, but to imply you aren't getting anything for the extra cost just isn't true. I know this because my upcoming trip is offsite for the time in many years do to the group size and economics, and trust me even though I haven't left yet, I am noticing the difference.

Transportation: Yes, everyone can use Disney transportation, but only onsite guests can use exclusively Disney transportation. The Magical Express will get you to your resort, and a fleet of buses, boats, monorails, (and soon gondolas) will take you anywhere else you need to go.

I live in Ohio, and we fly to MCO. To stay offsite we need to rent a car (approx $360 for my family for 7 nights 8 days) + Gas (approx $60) Parking for 7 days at the parks ($140) And yes, dealing with Disney transportation might at times be annoying, but 99% of the time, it is quicker and simpler than dealing with Theme Park Parking, traffic, and time to get to or from the parks.

That is $560 ($80 a night) and who knows how much time saved by being on site

Extra Magic Hours: It is hard to quantify the dollar value of of this perk. This might as well be 2 extra FP+, or perhaps we should compare it to the paid extra hours... I suppose the simplest way is to count it as free theme park hours and use ticket prices to determine the value. If you take the price of a 4 day non-hopper ticket at $87.50 a day and divide that by an average 12 hour day you get about $7 an hour in value. EMH hours average 1.3 hours per day. That means you get about $9 in value per day per person. That means a family of four on property for 7 nights get $288 in free park hours total or ($40 a night)

Resort Fees: As of today, Disney still doesn't charge a resort fee which most if not all other Orlando area hotels and resorts charge. These range from $3 a night to over $60 a night. Well use $15 a night for a stay at someplace that might be comparable in some ways to a WDW value resort.

Magic Bands: I know, many of us really don't care about these, but the truth is they are a perk and have a value of around $20.

Those items alone apply to all WDW resorts and have a savings or value of $155 a night. That is more than the actual rack rate on some value resorts. If you subtract that from the rack rate of a deluxe, it puts Deluxe resorts starting around $220 a night (or a $110 if you go during a time when they offer 30% off)

This doesn't even take into account the difference in level of themeing, convenience, and service you get onsite when compared to offsite. People can complain all they want about Disney slipping in any of those areas, but I think when people compare Disney to the competition, instead of Disney to itself 10 years ago, Disney is still well above the others.

And anyone who wants to either eat at a popular table service restaurant, or book a FP+ for the top attraction at each park can tell you that onsite booking advantages mean something.

I fell in love with Disney during my first onsite stay (my honeymoon). If you are here on these boards, I think most of you had a similar experience, and I would bet the majority of them were while staying on site.

I don't think anyone is drastically underestimating anything. It's just that different people value different things differently. What's important to you might not be important to someone else. Nobody is saying there's no value to staying onsite. It's just a matter of it holding a different value for everyone.

We typically stay onsite. But if we could stay offsite for twice as long for the same price as some have reported? I might consider it.

Some prefer to have a car regardless of what transportation is available.

Resort fees don't matter if your offsite room is quite a bit less to begin with.

Some people avoid EMH like the plague anyway.

I don't think anyone is drastically underestimating anything. It's just that different people value different things differently. What's important to you might not be important to someone else. Nobody is saying there's no value to staying onsite. It's just a matter of it holding a different value for everyone.

Actually, people are saying there is no value to staying on site, They are saying it almost verbatim. Here are just a few things that have been said in this thread:

The perks for staying onsite have dwindled to the point where there's just no benefit.

The only real benefit that is worth it, is EMH but even those sometimes are not that interesting for some guests.

I feel that slowly some perks have started to disappear for staying onsite. For the cost we're paying, I think this is a good one to have.

for the price of the onsite rooms, and Magic Hours being reduced (and rumors of them going away), the onsite guest does deserve some perks.

In my original post I acknowledged that whether the or not the perks were worth it were a personal decision. I just wanted to correct the assertion by others that they don't exist at all, or that they are so minimal that they are of no relevance to anyone.

If you, for whatever reason, don't see the value in the product, whether it be the theme parks, or the dining, or the merchandise, or the events, or the resorts, don't purchase the product. Stop acting like Disney is abusing you and your goodwill by offering it. Disney does not owe you anything, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them charging whatever price they and the free market determine is appropriate. They are not taking anything away from you. Even if they were to discontinue or limit an existing perk, that isn't taking something away from you. It is not GIVING you something, which is completely different. The reason that all of these people continue to purchase the product, and the reason parks and resort division are enjoying record profits, is because there is not a better or even comparable entertainment product in the word, at any price, let alone a cheaper one. The reason that the resorts enjoy ridiculously high occupancy rates is because when vacationers analyze the product against the competition, they see value in Disney's offering.

To sit and complain, and say, "Woes me," and "How dare they," and "they'll be sorry, you wait and see," while you continue to purchase the product is ridiculous. You clearly still see the value in the offering, otherwise you wouldn't still be buying.

I owe a restaurant and a vacation home rental business. I strive for the highest level of customer satisfaction in both endeavors, but at the same time, I charge more than much of my competition, but we provide a superior product so the market sustains my pricing (and let me tell you providing a superior product costs a lot more so if the market didn't sustain it we would shutter).

Actually, people are saying there is no value to staying on site, They are saying it almost verbatim. Here are just a few things that have been said in this thread:

In my original post I acknowledged that whether the or not the perks were worth it were a personal decision. I just wanted to correct the assertion by others that they don't exist at all, or that they are so minimal that they are of no relevance to anyone.

If you, for whatever reason, don't see the value in the product, whether it be the theme parks, or the dining, or the merchandise, or the events, or the resorts, don't purchase the product. Stop acting like Disney is abusing you and your goodwill by offering it. Disney does not owe you anything, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them charging whatever price they and the free market determine is appropriate. They are not taking anything away from you. Even if they were to discontinue or limit an existing perk, that isn't taking something away from you. It is not GIVING you something, which is completely different. The reason that all of these people continue to purchase the product, and the reason parks and resort division are enjoying record profits, is because there is not a better or even comparable entertainment product in the word, at any price, let alone a cheaper one. The reason that the resorts enjoy ridiculously high occupancy rates is because when vacationers analyze the product against the competition, they see value in Disney's offering.

To sit and complain, and say, "Woes me," and "How dare they," and "they'll be sorry, you wait and see," while you continue to purchase the product is ridiculous. You clearly still see the value in the offering, otherwise you wouldn't still be buying.

I owe a restaurant and a vacation home rental business. I strive for the highest level of customer satisfaction in both endeavors, but at the same time, I charge more than much of my competition, but we provide a superior product so the market sustains my pricing (and let me tell you providing a superior product costs a lot more so if the market didn't sustain it we would shutter).
It's late and I'm tired, but I plan on addressing all of this in the AM. I'll just say for now that price dictates expectations.

If you, for whatever reason, don't see the value in the product, whether it be the theme parks, or the dining, or the merchandise, or the events, or the resorts, don't purchase the product.

I have cut back on how much I spend and how often I go. We used to go every year, we've been twice since 2010 and we're going back this year. After this year, it might be another 2 or 3 years until we go back. I think thats fair to say I am speaking with my wallet.

I can't tell you how many people I've heard say something similar, there are a lot of people that have cut their annual trips down to every 2 or 3 years.

I also no longer buy a ton of souvenirs. Prior to 2010 my wife and i would spend around a thousand dollars on extra stuff while on vacation at WDW. I don't do that anymore.

I take issues with the rising cost and the cuts in what I'm paying for. I have a right to complain about that, and if that's coming on here and complaining about it, then I will. Where it really matters is with my wallet, and I think I've complained about it with that as well.

This isn't a trip to walmart where I should just suck it up and not get annoyed with Walmart for continuing to raise their prices. These trips cost thousands of dollars and take months, if not years to plan. I'm smart enough to account for the annual, and sometimes multi annual increases in just about everything when i budget a trip. But when you spend thousands of dollars and you've seen how things used to be ran, you should demand things get better.

I didn't used to feel nickled and dimed, now, that's exactly how i feel.

I think most of us here are completely ok with Disney charging more than most places, they have been for years, and I get it. I really do.

I can't tell you how many times I've been given that "look" from others when I say "we're going to disney". I'm not expecting a cheap trip, if i did, i wouldn't have gone back after my first trip. However, there is a fine line between what people will pay, and coming across as greed. The numbers are starting to show that attendance is dropping, and I don't think its because people can't afford it, but its because people are getting tired of the nickle and diming.

I write contracts for a living, and also have to deal with my customers. We are very careful to not nickle and dime those customers. All of our contracts are between 1-3 years, and at the end of the day I want that customer to renew that contract at the end of the term every single time. It's much harder to replace that customer with a new one, than it is to renew them. We've learned if we nickle and dime them, no matter how great our service is, the customer won't renew.

That's not the approach disney is taking. They are in full on take mode, and are trying to get every last dime out of their customers. If they were fully booked and had a waiting list, then they wouldn't be losing anything by doing this. But they aren't. When someone doesn't book a trip, or cancels one, there is not someone there to fill their spot.

They've taken a short term stance on their product, and IMO have hurt themselves in the long term.

If you, for whatever reason, don't see the value in the product, whether it be the theme parks, or the dining, or the merchandise, or the events, or the resorts, don't purchase the product. Stop acting like Disney is abusing you and your goodwill by offering it. Disney does not owe you anything, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them charging whatever price they and the free market determine is appropriate. They are not taking anything away from you. Even if they were to discontinue or limit an existing perk, that isn't taking something away from you. It is not GIVING you something, which is completely different.

We sort of agree here. I agree with if you don't like it, don't buy it, but that's not the argument here. The argument is Disney has continued to raise the price and scale back the offerings making its loyal fan base seem slighted. Since you own a restaurant I am going to use this analogy: In 2014, you charged $19.99 for a 12oz. steak dinner. That included a salad bar, a side item, and a dessert. Then in 2015, you got rid of the dessert, but still charged $19.99. Your costs haven't gone up, you just find that people will pay you $4 for a dessert. So then in 2015, you still charge $19.99 for a steak dinner, but now it's $1.99 for the salad bar. Again, no costs have gone up, you just find the market is a little warmer and people can afford the $25.97. Nothing has changed about your meal. It's still the same size. Then in 2016, you change nothing except now instead of a 12oz steak, it's 11oz. Customers start to complain. What they once got for $19.99 they now have to pay $25.97 and instead of just raising your price to $25.97, you now sell everything a la carte and your customers voice their opinion that they don't like it. Sure, they could go buy a steak dinner from somewhere else, but they've been visiting your restaurant since they were a kid and there's some nostalgia there and maybe they really like the steak.

The reason that all of these people continue to purchase the product, and the reason parks and resort division are enjoying record profits, is because there is not a better or even comparable entertainment product in the word, at any price, let alone a cheaper one. The reason that the resorts enjoy ridiculously high occupancy rates is because when vacationers analyze the product against the competition, they see value in Disney's offering.

I'm gonna highly disagree with you here. Have you ever heard of a place called Universal? If not, you might want to check it out. They actually offer a very comparable vacation offer. As far as ridiculously high occupancy rates... meh, I wouldn't call it "ridiculous" and studies have shown people aren't visiting the parks even though they are staying at the resorts. They're actually venturing off property. Again: see Universal.

We agree here. However, before I take my money and run I like to tell a business why I am leaving to see if there is an opportunity to fix it. Do I think Disney will eventually implode and have to back pedal? Yep. Will it be tomorrow? Nope. 10 years ago, people didn't have money to spend on vacations. Now they do and they're looking to maximize that dollar anyway they can. However, when you have a 5 year old who MUST meet her heroine Moana, you bite the bullet. That doesn't mean you like it, but you do it because pleasing your child means more than "sticking it to the man". Sometimes you're the one who gets stuck.

You say "owe", but I assume you mean own. I am sure that to charge more than your competition you have to provide a service up and beyond your competition. Or perhaps you have the best location. To charge more than competing markets you have to provide something they don't have. So you say you provide a superior product and that's why you charge more. Well, that's what you HAVE to do to charge more, but no longer is Disney providing a superior product. Again: see Universal. They've upped their game. Disney used to provide a product that was second to none. The quality of the entertainment was first class, the parks were first class, the amenities were first class, but above all, their guest service and satisfaction was beyond reproach. Now, you get form responses to emailed complaints. It took someone on these boards three emails and the assistance of this board to get something that was being offered to everyone else for inconvenience during their stay. It should have been handled right the first time. I bet if your customers have a complaint, you make sure it's handled immediately and correctly the first time. You can't just crap on your customers and expect them to come back time and time again.

First class service is what people have come to expect from Disney and they gladly paid for it - every time. Then Disney stopped caring about its consumer and only cared about its bottom line and now its bottom line is starting to see the effects. It's park attendance is down, spending per visitor is up because they raised prices, but hotel occupancy is down. Restaurant quality is down and Guest Satisfaction is down. Just because people still go doesn't mean their highly satisfied.

Perhaps you have someone who visited the last time 10 years ago. They've noticed the prices are substantially higher, but they book anyway. They hope the new experiences are worth the increased price. Maybe they find it that way. Every year since 2014 I debate renewing my annual pass and for the past 3 years something has managed to hook me. This year it was because a very good friend of mine finally purchased an annual pass and the dis meet happened the week my pass expired, so that hooked me into another year. However, it almost didn't happen. We did drop my mother's pass, so while they got my renewal, they lost my mother's business through me. So, while I did purchase the product, I purchased LESS of the product and that is the reflection of the increased black out dates for the Florida Annual Season Pass. So, clearly, their loyal fan base is responding. I am DVC, Disney Visa, and Annual Pass and they managed to aggravate me and I am sure I am not alone.

We sort of agree here. I agree with if you don't like it, don't buy it, but that's not the argument here. The argument is Disney has continued to raise the price and scale back the offerings making its loyal fan base seem slighted. Since you own a restaurant I am going to use this analogy: In 2014, you charged $19.99 for a 12oz. steak dinner. That included a salad bar, a side item, and a dessert. Then in 2015, you got rid of the dessert, but still charged $19.99. Your costs haven't gone up, you just find that people will pay you $4 for a dessert. So then in 2015, you still charge $19.99 for a steak dinner, but now it's $1.99 for the salad bar. Again, no costs have gone up, you just find the market is a little warmer and people can afford the $25.97. Nothing has changed about your meal. It's still the same size. Then in 2016, you change nothing except now instead of a 12oz steak, it's 11oz. Customers start to complain. What they once got for $19.99 they now have to pay $25.97 and instead of just raising your price to $25.97, you now sell everything a la carte and your customers voice their opinion that they don't like it. Sure, they could go buy a steak dinner from somewhere else, but they've been visiting your restaurant since they were a kid and there's some nostalgia there and maybe they really like the steak.

I'm gonna highly disagree with you here. Have you ever heard of a place called Universal? If not, you might want to check it out. They actually offer a very comparable vacation offer. As far as ridiculously high occupancy rates... meh, I wouldn't call it "ridiculous" and studies have shown people aren't visiting the parks even though they are staying at the resorts. They're actually venturing off property. Again: see Universal.

We agree here. However, before I take my money and run I like to tell a business why I am leaving to see if there is an opportunity to fix it. Do I think Disney will eventually implode and have to back pedal? Yep. Will it be tomorrow? Nope. 10 years ago, people didn't have money to spend on vacations. Now they do and they're looking to maximize that dollar anyway they can. However, when you have a 5 year old who MUST meet her heroine Moana, you bite the bullet. That doesn't mean you like it, but you do it because pleasing your child means more than "sticking it to the man". Sometimes you're the one who gets stuck.

You say "owe", but I assume you mean own. I am sure that to charge more than your competition you have to provide a service up and beyond your competition. Or perhaps you have the best location. To charge more than competing markets you have to provide something they don't have. So you say you provide a superior product and that's why you charge more. Well, that's what you HAVE to do to charge more, but no longer is Disney providing a superior product. Again: see Universal. They've upped their game. Disney used to provide a product that was second to none. The quality of the entertainment was first class, the parks were first class, the amenities were first class, but above all, their guest service and satisfaction was beyond reproach. Now, you get form responses to emailed complaints. It took someone on these boards three emails and the assistance of this board to get something that was being offered to everyone else for inconvenience during their stay. It should have been handled right the first time. I bet if your customers have a complaint, you make sure it's handled immediately and correctly the first time. You can't just crap on your customers and expect them to come back time and time again.

First class service is what people have come to expect from Disney and they gladly paid for it - every time. Then Disney stopped caring about its consumer and only cared about its bottom line and now its bottom line is starting to see the effects. It's park attendance is down, spending per visitor is up because they raised prices, but hotel occupancy is down. Restaurant quality is down and Guest Satisfaction is down. Just because people still go doesn't mean their highly satisfied.

Perhaps you have someone who visited the last time 10 years ago. They've noticed the prices are substantially higher, but they book anyway. They hope the new experiences are worth the increased price. Maybe they find it that way. Every year since 2014 I debate renewing my annual pass and for the past 3 years something has managed to hook me. This year it was because a very good friend of mine finally purchased an annual pass and the dis meet happened the week my pass expired, so that hooked me into another year. However, it almost didn't happen. We did drop my mother's pass, so while they got my renewal, they lost my mother's business through me. So, while I did purchase the product, I purchased LESS of the product and that is the reflection of the increased black out dates for the Florida Annual Season Pass. So, clearly, their loyal fan base is responding. I am DVC, Disney Visa, and Annual Pass and they managed to aggravate me and I am sure I am not alone.

Very Well Said!

I never said I personally have a problem with them charging what they want to or that I don't think EMH isn't valuable, I just feel like most people don't believe it is.

Besides, how good the product matters less when the consumer gets priced out. I know a few who are struggling with the prices including us in some cases. Disney doesn't owe anybody anything but where does it end?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter