Packing for my first DVC stay

Thanks fpr this thread! Great info here!! We are renting points for the first time and staying at AKV in a studio. This really helps me know what extras I need to pack.

I do have one question. I know DVC gets towel service on the 4th day, but if I ask can I swap out towels for clean ones before then by taking them to housekeeping, and will we be charged for that?

One other question not related to DVC but packing in general ... can I pack sunblock in my carry on luggage? We plan on just hanging out at the resort the day we get there and want to chill out by the pool. I know there is some regulations of liquids, gels etc but was wondering if I could bring the spray can? Our fair Irish skin can't take the Florida sun!

One other question not related to DVC but packing in general ... can I pack sunblock in my carry on luggage? We plan on just hanging out at the resort the day we get there and want to chill out by the pool. I know there is some regulations of liquids, gels etc but was wondering if I could bring the spray can? Our fair Irish skin can't take the Florida sun!

Anything that you pack in your carry-on has to be a travel size of 3 oz. or less and has to go in your personal quart size baggie. There ARE travel sizes available in the travel aisles at Target & Walmart (I've seen them by both Banana Boat and Coppertone Sport). They are creams or lotions tho, not sprays. I have one that holds a lotion that we pack in our day-bag that we carry to the parks or on excursions - I just refill it from a larger size lotion. I know that some brands make their normal size Face sunscreen in a 3 oz. size. Large sprays need to go in your checked luggage (I always pack them in large gallon size Ziplock and I put them in an outsize pocket on the luggage because I have had them leak before). The other alternative would be to buy them once you are in FL.

Thanks fpr this thread! Great info here!! We are renting points for the first time and staying at AKV in a studio. This really helps me know what extras I need to pack.

I do have one question. I know DVC gets towel service on the 4th day, but if I ask can I swap out towels for clean ones before then by taking them to housekeeping, and will we be charged for that?

I believe that would probably be considered a pay for it towel service if you want fresh towels before the regular Trash & Towel day. That's kind of the point to having them replaced on day 4 and why they offer it as an extra service that you pay for. Most DVC'ers are fine with re-using towels for 3 or 4 days and they just wait for the towel regular service day. They charge for it because it is not economically friendly to launder them daily and it would increase our dues as owners otherwise.

I believe that would probably be considered a pay for it towel service if you want fresh towels before the regular Trash & Towel day. That's kind of the point to having them replaced on day 4 and why they offer it as an extra service that you pay for. Most DVC'ers are fine with re-using towels for 3 or 4 days and they just wait for the towel regular service day. They charge for it because it is not economically friendly to launder them daily and it would increase our dues as owners otherwise.

Gotcha! totaly understand. Do you happen to know what the charge is for towel service?

Thank you for all your suggestions! This info really helps. FYI we are staying in a BWV studio and plan on doing breakfast most mornings in our room. We will most likely be going through tons of paper goods and paper towels - kids are 5, 3 and 11 months so lots of snacks and clean up. I'm also thinking of doing at least the trash/towel package too as I really don't want to be doing wash every night. Can't wait for this trip but packing for a family of 5 and not having a car gives me a little anxiety. At least it sounds like most things I can buy onsite if I forget, at a premium I'm sure :). Thanks again!

:confused3 They will replace your towels on day 4. You are clean when you use them so most DVC'ers are fine with hanging up their towels to dry and just re-using them for a couple of days. I know almost every hotel we've stayed in over the past few years has moved to this system to be more ecologically and environmentally friendly. It conserves water & energy not to have to launder them daily....

Gotcha! totaly understand. Do you happen to know what the charge is for towel service?

No, sorry, I don't know other than it's WAAAAY more than I am willing to pay for a dry towel. :rotfl: (I want to say it's something like an extra $25 per day or something like that.)

No, sorry, I don't know other than it's WAAAAY more than I am willing to pay for a dry towel. :rotfl: (I want to say it's something like an extra $25 per day or something like that.)

that's crazy! It's $30 for a full clean! We don't mind reusing towels, but I was thinking that if we took them to the pool we would need to switch becuase of chlorine. For that, I will pack beach towels.

that's crazy! It's $30 for a full clean! We don't mind reusing towels, but I was thinking that if we took them to the pool we would need to switch becuase of chlorine. For that, I will pack beach towels.

No need to bring towels from the room to the pool...towels are available at the pool for that purpose. And unless you are driving and have plenty of room for beach towels, I would leave them home. I think value resorts are the only Disney properties that don't provide pool towels.
Kerri

The pools provide towels. They're not big & fluffy "beach" towels but you can certainly take more than 1 per person. We usually use 2 per lounge chair & often trade them in for dry ones at some point. They are located by the pool on carts. :thumbsup2

Sorry I meant extra towel package not trash and towel. We found last time we all took almost 2 showers a day and my husband can do more than that. I think this cost $6 a day.

I've heard that this is a no-no.... but we wash our own towels in our villa.

We went to HHI over the week of July 4th this year and with it being so hot and humid, we all showered/bathed at least twice a day... between showering after the beach, the pool, and the daily soaking of humidity - we were doing a load of towels a day.

However, we usually do take at least a beach towel per person, especially if we drive. It is just so much easier to wrap up and not worry about dripping so much.

depends on your unit.....there are a few less things in a studio, and less room to store stuff. There are only paper plates and such in a studio versus real silverware/plates in 1 bed + villas. So if staying in a villa, you really don't need to waste money on paper goods. We have always found at least 2 rolls of paper towels so never have had to get those.

I always bring zip lock baggies, 1 cascade cleaning ball for the dishwasher to use in the jacuzzi to clean it before we get in it, coffee filters, all my own toiletries, (I like to take the little ones and keep them for stocking stuffers for the kids), enough clothes for just 1/2 the stay since there are washers and driers...saves space in the luggage, and at least 2 books to read at the pool :thumbsup2

Have fun.

Cheryl

Oh yeah, most definitely. Fill up the tub, drop the nugget in and let it run a good 20 min with the jets going. Cleans great!!

Just noted your signature.....we are celebrating both our sons' gotcha days in Disney this year.....Oldest (12 y.o) has been home 10 years in July and youngest (8 y.o.) will be 5 years in May. And you're from RI too!!!!!!!!!!

cheryl

I love this way to clean the Jacuzzi tub - never heard it before.

Great thread, lots of helpful info as I am also packing for my first trip "home" pixiedust: and was wondering about these same questions.

No need to bring towels from the room to the pool...towels are available at the pool for that purpose. And unless you are driving and have plenty of room for beach towels, I would leave them home. I think value resorts are the only Disney properties that don't provide pool towels.
Kerri

The pools provide towels. They're not big & fluffy "beach" towels but you can certainly take more than 1 per person. We usually use 2 per lounge chair & often trade them in for dry ones at some point. They are located by the pool on carts. :thumbsup2
That's great! Are there always towels available? We have mostly traveled is November before and stayed moderate. The few times we have used the pools, they have always been short on towels. We are dirving, so I might bring the beach towels anyway.
Sorry I meant extra towel package not trash and towel. We found last time we all took almost 2 showers a day and my husband can do more than that. I think this cost $6 a day.

Good to know in case we need it.

We take the Purell laundry & dryer sheet. They save a lot of space and work OK. We alway pack one suite case full of food (cereal, mac & cheese). When it's empty we fill it full of souvenirs. This October we will be staying in a Studio for a week. We going to have to find the laundry room. We do plan on renting a car and making a food run. Publix for Fried Chicken and other pre cooked foods.

Do they still sell the Purex laundry and dryer all in one sheet? I haven't been able to find them at my local stores anymore. We used to use these all the time

That's great! Are there always towels available? We have mostly traveled is November before and stayed moderate. The few times we have used the pools, they have always been short on towels. We are dirving, so I might bring the beach towels anyway.

Good to know in case we need it.

We've never had a problem finding the towel carts at least half full....we go in the summer and / or over spring break.

at beach club as I type. There were 3 packages of Dishsoap for the dishwasher. I just finished cleaning tub and it is all ready for the week.

No need to bring the cleaner with me.

Cheryl

at beach club as I type. There were 3 packages of Dishsoap for the dishwasher. I just finished cleaning tub and it is all ready for the week.

No need to bring the cleaner with me.

Cheryl

Oooh lucky duck!! Have a great time!!

Here is a thread (from yesterday) with the pricing on extra housekeeping services:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48095417

I've heard that this is a no-no.... but we wash our own towels in our villa.

I've not heard that it is a no-no. We wash our own towels, too.

Do they still sell the Purex laundry and dryer all in one sheet? I haven't been able to find them at my local stores anymore. We used to use these all the time

About a year ago, it seems like the big box stores stopped selling them. I just looked on Amazon and they are available there. We bought several boxes last summer at Walmart, but I have not looked for them recently, since we have enough for the next couple of years. We have not tried the new Tide detergent pods.

I didn't know. Glad I bought a couple of extra boxes. We only use them on vacation. Here's a link to Amazon, you can still get them.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest