Packing for my first DVC stay

bdunworth

Earning My Ears
So we are a family of 4 with a baby staying at BWV for the first time (renting points from a friend). I'm trying to figure out what household items I need to pack or order through Garden Grocer to get through the week (we will not be renting a car). I read that most items will not be replenished until day 4 unless I want to pay extra so I'm thinking things like shampoo, conditioner are a must. Also on my list is dish detergent, paper towels, paper plates, plastic dinnerware. Any other thoughts on what I may need? Thanks!

I always travel with small travel size bottles of my own shampoo & conditioner (for color treated hair :rolleyes2) and DS uses the small bottles provided by the resorts. DH shaves his head and doesn't really use shampoo. So yes, if you'll all 4 need shampoo I'd bring a set of the travel size (3 oz) ones.

Dish liquid, a small kitchen sponge and paper towels will be supplied. The other things you'll need will depend on whether you are staying in a studio or a larger 1 bedroom unit. The larger units have dishwashers and real dishes & glassware and silverware along with pots & pans so you would need less. Studios tho only have 4 each of small glasses and coffee cups. They will supply about 4 each of paper plates and paper bowls and plastic silverware so if you're in a studio you'll want to replenish these items (although you can wash and reuse the plastic silverware). We use studios and only eat breakfasts in our room & all other meals out. I keep a small supply of extra plasticware (heavier duty than the stuff they provide), a set of sharp knives, paper plates & a couple of plastic microwaveable bowls in our Owners Locker. I usually just keep enough plates down there for 1-2 weeks worth of breakfasts and I bring them with us since they're easily packable in our suitcases. (Since I've never stayed in a 1 bedroom so I don't know if they supply dishwasher soap.)

Our orders from Garden Grocer include cases of water, soda, milk, beer and breakfast items for the week. You'll likely want to add diapers etc. if your baby isn't potty trained to your order so you don't waste packing space for those things.

depends on your unit.....there are a few less things in a studio, and less room to store stuff. There are only paper plates and such in a studio versus real silverware/plates in 1 bed + villas. So if staying in a villa, you really don't need to waste money on paper goods. We have always found at least 2 rolls of paper towels so never have had to get those.

I always bring zip lock baggies, 1 cascade cleaning ball for the dishwasher to use in the jacuzzi to clean it before we get in it, coffee filters, all my own toiletries, (I like to take the little ones and keep them for stocking stuffers for the kids), enough clothes for just 1/2 the stay since there are washers and driers...saves space in the luggage, and at least 2 books to read at the pool :thumbsup2

Have fun.

Cheryl

We take the Purell laundry & dryer sheet. They save a lot of space and work OK. We alway pack one suite case full of food (cereal, mac & cheese). When it's empty we fill it full of souvenirs. This October we will be staying in a Studio for a week. We going to have to find the laundry room. We do plan on renting a car and making a food run. Publix for Fried Chicken and other pre cooked foods.

When my kids were babies I always packed the diapers in the suitcases because it gave me lots of space to fill with souvenirs for the trip home! I would definitely order/bring water bottles, breakfast items, ziplock bags, paper plates, laundry stuff. We have always ordered snacks for the room but if you are using the dining plan there is so much to eat during the day that we never needed them. We often brought snacks/desserts back to the room! If you have a little one, make sure you bring plenty of wipes! Have a great trip!!

We stay in 1-Bedroom units and always bring or buy:

* a 2 pack paper towels (I use those more than sponges)
* a few extra dishwasher tablets (won't buy but will bring them)
* Laundry soap (we prefer unscented liquids)
* Dryer sheets
* Shampoo and conditioner (The girls need more than is supplied)
* Face soap (our preference)
* Ice cube trays - we need more ice for our drinks!
* Outdoor plastic drink cups with lids - for going to pool (unless we are
buying resort mug, which we only do where refills are convenient)

We use the dishes and glassware; no need to buy paper.

depends on your unit.....there are a few less things in a studio, and less room to store stuff. There are only paper plates and such in a studio versus real silverware/plates in 1 bed + villas. So if staying in a villa, you really don't need to waste money on paper goods. We have always found at least 2 rolls of paper towels so never have had to get those.

I always bring zip lock baggies, 1 cascade cleaning ball for the dishwasher to use in the jacuzzi to clean it before we get in it, coffee filters, all my own toiletries, (I like to take the little ones and keep them for stocking stuffers for the kids), enough clothes for just 1/2 the stay since there are washers and driers...saves space in the luggage, and at least 2 books to read at the pool :thumbsup2

Have fun.

Cheryl

I see in your signature picture just HOW WELL you clean the jacuzzi!:rotfl2:

We stay in 1-Bedroom units and always bring or buy:

* a 2 pack paper towels (I use those more than sponges)
* a few extra dishwasher tablets (won't buy but will bring them)
* Laundry soap (we prefer unscented liquids)
* Dryer sheets
* Shampoo and conditioner (The girls need more than is supplied)
* Face soap (our preference)
* Ice cube trays - we need more ice for our drinks!
* Outdoor plastic drink cups with lids - for going to pool (unless we are
buying resort mug, which we only do where refills are convenient)

We use the dishes and glassware; no need to buy paper.

This a great list of non-food/drinks. We bring this exact stuff. I'm totally copying this so I don't forget anything in the next few weeks!

The resort will give you more paper towels whenever you ask for them. Usually three or four rolls are in each kitchen or kitchenette.

In DVC resorts there are ice machines located nearby. It just depends on the resort for the location. BLT the ice and vending machines are located on every other floor close to the south elevators. At OKW the ice machines and vending is located at the bus stops or pools. At AKV they are located on each floor. SSR they located on the first floor of each building.

I see in your signature picture just HOW WELL you clean the jacuzzi!:rotfl2:

Yeah, can't help it when the kids jump in and they get to the liquid soap bottle before I can grab it from them!!!!! :goodvibes

At least the next guest will have a sparkling tub!!!!

che

If you ask, housekeeping will give you additional dish soap, dishwasher soap, paper towels, trash bags, toilet paper, and if in a studio, paper plates, bowls, and plasticware. You don't have to wait for a cleaning day to get them. We've done this both by asking a housekeeper in the hall or by calling and asking on the phone. They've always been happy to provide it.

The hand and body soap, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel are technically supposed to be part of a toiletry pack that you can buy from housekeeping for $5. Sometimes if you ask a housekeeper in the hall, though, they'll give you what you need.

LOL, they're pretty stingy with the laundry soap. You'll get one box free with a one-bedroom or larger. After that, you can buy more for $1 a box either from housekeeping or from vending machines in the laundry rooms.

Yeah, can't help it when the kids jump in and they get to the liquid soap bottle before I can grab it from them!!!!! :goodvibes

At least the next guest will have a sparkling tub!!!!

che

Does that Cascade really clean the whirlpool tub??!! We always stop at the grocery store before we check in so I can get some bleach, but if the Cascade works I'll try it.
Thanks,
Kerri

Does that Cascade really clean the whirlpool tub??!! We always stop at the grocery store before we check in so I can get some bleach, but if the Cascade works I'll try it.
Thanks,
Kerri

Oh yeah, most definitely. Fill up the tub, drop the nugget in and let it run a good 20 min with the jets going. Cleans great!!

Just noted your signature.....we are celebrating both our sons' gotcha days in Disney this year.....Oldest (12 y.o) has been home 10 years in July and youngest (8 y.o.) will be 5 years in May. And you're from RI too!!!!!!!!!!

cheryl

Oh yeah, most definitely. Fill up the tub, drop the nugget in and let it run a good 20 min with the jets going. Cleans great!!

Just noted your signature.....we are celebrating both our sons' gotcha days in Disney this year.....Oldest (12 y.o) has been home 10 years in July and youngest (8 y.o.) will be 5 years in May. And you're from RI too!!!!!!!!!!

cheryl

Good to know..I will def try that although I have the Finish tablets...wonder if those would work as well...
How wonderful for you guys!! It will be 7 years in July for our 11 year old daughter as well. Adoption for our little guy was just this past November.
And yes RI too! Cool!:goodvibes

Good to know..I will def try that although I have the Finish tablets...wonder if those would work as well...
How wonderful for you guys!! It will be 7 years in July for our 11 year old daughter as well. Adoption for our little guy was just this past November.
And yes RI too! Cool!:goodvibes

They should. One year I forgot and I just used the stuff they had to put in the dishwasher, it was generic. The thing is it cleans and disinfects without bubbles.

and congrats again!!! :goodvibes

che

We have never had a problem getting extra paper products: paper towels, trash bags, ice bucket bags, paper plate-bowls, and plasticware. We just call housekeeping or find someone in the hall in the morning. As for the coffee/shampoo/soap stuff, those replenishments do come at an extra charge, though I've ALWAYs had them replenished on T&T and Full cleaning days.

While we do go to the grocery store during our trips, I do pack ziplock bags (small and large), and clips to close bags. I also have a small cutting board and a small knife in my checked luggage. We stay in studios when it's just the 2 of us and only do bigger units when we have extras traveling with us. We also have dryer sheets and detergent. Coffee filters are also a must as they are not available from housekeeping. Of course if you bring coffee, don't forget a measuring scoop.

Thanks,
Kerri

Sorry from UK so don't have the same brands-is 'Cascade' a Dish Washer Soap tablet - if so I can bring something similar from home. I was wondering what to bring/buy to clean Hot Tub. We're staying with my Brother in CT before Disney so may be able to buy a small packet of Cascade in local supermarket if it something different:)

Sorry from UK so don't have the same brands-is 'Cascade' a Dish Washer Soap tablet - if so I can bring something similar from home. I was wondering what to bring/buy to clean Hot Tub. We're staying with my Brother in CT before Disney so may be able to buy a small packet of Cascade in local supermarket if it something different:)

I have Finish so that's what I'll try...Cheryl(chepic) said she used the generic one that was provided in the room and it worked.
Kerri

Thank you for all your suggestions! This info really helps. FYI we are staying in a BWV studio and plan on doing breakfast most mornings in our room. We will most likely be going through tons of paper goods and paper towels - kids are 5, 3 and 11 months so lots of snacks and clean up. I'm also thinking of doing at least the trash/towel package too as I really don't want to be doing wash every night. Can't wait for this trip but packing for a family of 5 and not having a car gives me a little anxiety. At least it sounds like most things I can buy onsite if I forget, at a premium I'm sure :). Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter