Packing cubes win!

What happens if you're using this and they flag your suitcase for a security check? Does this mean a ton of extra work unzipping, pulling items out, then frantically restuffing everything back in so you can check it?

What happens if you're using this and they flag your suitcase for a security check? Does this mean a ton of extra work unzipping, pulling items out, then frantically restuffing everything back in so you can check it?
Meh. Not my problem.

But it WOULD be your problem if it's your suitcase. I had this happen to me once--they decided to open and rifle through my suitcase for no apparent reason, just my lucky day, I guess. I'd put a lot of care into packing it and barely got it closed. The security folks literally pulled everything out, then just tossed it back in and pushed me along, leaving me to scramble trying to get out of their way while simultaneously cramming everything back inside and the case closed. Maybe these cubes could have helped in that situation, or maybe they could just exacerbate things. That's why I asked.

But it WOULD be your problem if it's your suitcase. I had this happen to me once--they decided to open and rifle through my suitcase for no apparent reason, just my lucky day, I guess. I'd put a lot of care into packing it and barely got it closed. The security folks literally pulled everything out, then just tossed it back in and pushed me along, leaving me to scramble trying to get out of their way while simultaneously cramming everything back inside and the case closed. Maybe these cubes could have helped in that situation, or maybe they could just exacerbate things. That's why I asked.
You did not specify "carry on". That's slightly different. In any case, I would not allow TSA to bully me and make me scramble to cram my stuff back into my suit case after they took it out. I do think it would be easier to put your stuff back into their cubes and then the cubes into the suitcase.

Actually, I've had that happen to me twice. The time with my carry-on was my fault (duh, forgot that I couldn't stick my full-sized bottle of hair mousse in my carry-on!) and it wasn't too horrible because it wasn't packed that carefully to begin with. But the other time was with my checked bag, and at Reagan National in DC, the place where I checked it didn't have a handy table on which to reassemble things--it's a stand-alone machine with a low feed. They ran it through, then pulled it out and had me unlock it, etc. They never did tell me why or what they were searching for. It was totally annoying. :(

Actually, I've had that happen to me twice. The time with my carry-on was my fault (duh, forgot that I couldn't stick my full-sized bottle of hair mousse in my carry-on!) and it wasn't too horrible because it wasn't packed that carefully to begin with. But the other time was with my checked bag, and at Reagan National in DC, the place where I checked it didn't have a handy table on which to reassemble things--it's a stand-alone machine with a low feed. They ran it through, then pulled it out and had me unlock it, etc. They never did tell me why or what they were searching for. It was totally annoying. :(
My checked bag gets searched fairly often and the TSA always puts things back where they came from.

Ok, y'all have convinced me to get some of these. I never thought of looking for them on eBay. Duh. My family of four packs in one huge L L Bean rolling duffle bag. We love this bag. We sort of pack it in quadrants but there is a great deal of riffling through to find items. We are all travelling to three weddings this year, so I think I'll give it a go finally. Nice tip on IKEA as well.....I would have never thought to check there. Thank you all knowing Disers!

Ok, y'all have convinced me to get some of these. I never thought of looking for them on eBay. Duh. My family of four packs in one huge L L Bean rolling duffle bag. We love this bag. We sort of pack it in quadrants but there is a great deal of riffling through to find items. We are all travelling to three weddings this year, so I think I'll give it a go finally. Nice tip on IKEA as well.....I would have never thought to check there. Thank you all knowing Disers!
I bought mine in eBags not eBay. They are very well made. Just wait for a special on them and a coupon you can stack and they don't come out to be too expensive.

Thanks for the tip! Someone up thread did mention eBay as well. I've got three sets on order now!

My family of four packs in one huge L L Bean rolling duffle bag. We love this bag. We sort of pack it in quadrants but there is a great deal of riffling through to find items.

We are a family of 3 who shares one large bag, too, so we LOVE packing cubes.

as far as tsa searches, they usually make it easier IMHO, usually they just pull out each cube,inspect it ,open if needed, but easily zip it again. I just returned from another successful carry on only trip (cruise) using the ebay packing cubes! I still can't get over how much stuff easily fits,and I paid 7.00 per set on ebay

Eagle Creek Folder. This has been extremely valuable to me. I can pack a week worth of polo/slacks in one folder which fits into the inner lid pocket of my carry on. Totally worth the $27. I also use smaller Eagle Creek cubes and love them.

Eagle Creek Folder. This has been extremely valuable to me. I can pack a week worth of polo/slacks in one folder which fits into the inner lid pocket of my carry on. Totally worth the $27. I also use smaller Eagle Creek cubes and love them.
Glad to hear this. I just ordered one of these. It looked like it would be so convenient. Got that and a set of cubes. It will be my first time using them

Another vote for Eagle Creek. I first used the packing cubes while backpacking around Thailand. They kept everything nice and organized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter