Overnight Stop in Georgia

Leleluvsdis

DIS Veteran
Any campground suggestions off 95 in Georgia? Bonus points if it's long enough and level enough that we don't have to unhook. We're a 40ft 5er and ram dually long bed.

About 3.5 hours give or take from Coastal Georgia to the Fort.
The map says you're about 7.5 hours from Coastal Georgia. but you know that depends on traffic on 95 and how far you like to travel in one leg.

Last edited:
Just North of Georgia Exit 8 in Hardeeville SC Camp Lake Jasper. Pull thru sites are large enough. Pad are packed sand/gravel and most ( Some near where road Loops might angle you a bit too much) will meet your needs. We CALL when making our reservations to be nearer to Dog Park. Super friendly and helpful staff

About 3.5 hours give or take from Coastal Georgia to the Fort.
The map says you're about 7.5 hours from Coastal Georgia. but you know that depends on traffic on 95 and how far you like to travel in one leg.
It normally takes us about 8 hours to get to Savannah, so it would probably be closer to 9/9.5.

Just North of Georgia Exit 8 in Hardeeville SC Camp Lake Jasper. Pull thru sites are large enough. Pad are packed sand/gravel and most ( Some near where road Loops might angle you a bit too much) will meet your needs. We CALL when making our reservations to be nearer to Dog Park. Super friendly and helpful staff
Thanks! That's really good to know to. We haven't solidified how far we're going to go yet but know we want to get to at least walterboro, sc but hoping for closer to savannah. I'll add that to my list.

Sanvannah South KOA. Stayed there in 2012. Last minute ressie. They were accomdating but then again it was in October. So it was no big deal. Pull through site which turned out to be right next to the camp site. We got in atound 10 PM. The staff said they would leave the pool and lighting on if we wanted to take a quick dip. However, we wanted some sleep. IIRC, the interchange was pretty easy to get though. Plenty of food and fuel if needed. The KOA was only a couple of minutes off 95. Speaking of which, we thought about using the KOA as a stop on a car trip down to Florida in 2017 however the cabins were a 2 night minium and we needed to bring our own blankets which was not going to happen in the car.

In 2014, my parents were along for the ride in the truck this time. We stopped at the St Mary's KOA in Georgia. Easy on and off. This was in the beginning of November so no issues getting a site. We just left a note that we would stop in the morning to settle up. We did back track towards exit 3 for a crackerbarrel breakfast and picked up fuel. Ironically, we stopped at the same CB in 2017 on the same car trip to Disney and fueled up at the same gas station as well.

Thanks! That's really good to know to. We haven't solidified how far we're going to go yet but know we want to get to at least walterboro, sc but hoping for closer to savannah. I'll add that to my list.

Well, Walterboro you have New Green Acres, plenty long enough.
178614863_4177865332235084_3592529858423689389_n.jpg

I mean we fit no problem without unhitching.

We had also been to the St Mary's KOA exit 1 in Georgia with this trailer and our Crew Cab long bed dually.

Another vote for st marrys koa. I stayed there 2x last trip, on the way down and on the way back. They had a free breakfast. And the kido liked the pool. ( it was a bit cold but it was october). Easy to get in and out of, and if your there for 1 night i think they put you closest to the entrance.

Sanvannah South KOA. Stayed there in 2012. Last minute ressie. They were accomdating but then again it was in October. So it was no big deal. Pull through site which turned out to be right next to the camp site. We got in atound 10 PM. The staff said they would leave the pool and lighting on if we wanted to take a quick dip. However, we wanted some sleep. IIRC, the interchange was pretty easy to get though. Plenty of food and fuel if needed. The KOA was only a couple of minutes off 95. Speaking of which, we thought about using the KOA as a stop on a car trip down to Florida in 2017 however the cabins were a 2 night minium and we needed to bring our own blankets which was not going to happen in the car.

In 2014, my parents were along for the ride in the truck this time. We stopped at the St Mary's KOA in Georgia. Easy on and off. This was in the beginning of November so no issues getting a site. We just left a note that we would stop in the morning to settle up. We did back track towards exit 3 for a crackerbarrel breakfast and picked up fuel. Ironically, we stopped at the same CB in 2017 on the same car trip to Disney and fueled up at the same gas station as well.
Sometimes if you call directly you can get a one night reservation. At least on the campsites. This year every campground wanted 2 nights over halloween, i called and they did one night for me at another koa. Unfortunately we have to get to the fort over that weekend........they said there reservation system sometimes does that, but they could overide it. Or something to that effect.

Depending on when we plan to hit the road our goal is either New Green Acres in SC, Savannah South KOA in GA, and St. Mary's KOA. All of them could handle 42' 5th wheel and truck and none required me to disconnect for the night.

Well, Walterboro you have New Green Acres, plenty long enough.
View attachment 570334

I mean we fit no problem without unhitching.

We had also been to the St Mary's KOA exit 1 in Georgia with this trailer and our Crew Cab long bed dually.
Thank you! This is one on our list as well. I couldn't find many reviews online so I'm really glad to hear this. Walterboro is always our "safe" option because it's easily doable after work.

Another vote for st marrys koa. I stayed there 2x last trip, on the way down and on the way back. They had a free breakfast. And the kido liked the pool. ( it was a bit cold but it was october). Easy to get in and out of, and if your there for 1 night i think they put you closest to the entrance.
Good to know! I'll add it to my list.

I'll also recommend both New Green Acres in Walterboro SC and Coastal Georgia in Brunswick GA.
Both are long enough for any big rig . . . without unhooking :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter