Over optimistic things you have purchased?

Oh, sweet mercy, I don’t even know where to begin. I’ve never heard of this thing so I had to look it up. Was this the infomercial that sold you on it? Like, you saw this and thought, “Yeah, that’s how I can attain a better version of me.”

Did you see the ads for it enough times that the sight of under-desk elliptical training slowly started becoming normalized for you, or was it more like a sudden scared-straight moment when you heard the claim that “Sitting is the new smoking?”

Okay, a few more questions to really bring this vision to life for me: Do you have an open-sided desk as pictured so your coworkers can see it? Have they seen more definition in their abs lately as a result of laughing at you? Does it make noise? Is that noise like a high-pitched whir or more like a low hum, would you say? Do you store it with your Thighmaster and Shake Weight when not in use?

Thank you for this. I really love the thought of you totally detached from your workout while building the strongest ankles in all of Calgary. ❤️
I'm sensing most of your questions are rhetorical so I doubt you expect answers. I must say I do let my imagination run away with me sometimes and honestly, when I bought it I was humming to myself "...ronandannette peddling a Cubii...bam ba ba bam bam bam bam..."

I'm sensing most of your questions are rhetorical so I doubt you expect answers. I must say I do let my imagination run away with me sometimes and honestly, when I bought it I was humming to myself "...ronandannette peddling a Cubii...bam ba ba bam bam bam bam..."

I do need to know if it makes noise. I’ve created a whole scene from The Office in my head around this and that’s a critical detail. :laughing:

An apple peeler corer slicer...yes that was a thing
Me too! Unless I'm making huge amounts it just seems easier to do it by hand. I used it a few times when the kids were little because it was a novelty for them and also used to take it to school in the Fall to make crockpot applesauce with my classes when I taught. However, since the kids left home and I retired - I haven't used it once. Maybe when I have grandchildren?

PS I AM, however, peddling as I type right now since someone mentioned it. (I usually forget it's there.) Someone needs to mention the "deskercise" gadget regularly and maybe I'll actually use it!

A toaster oven. We used a couple of times, but it took forever to make toast. It's in my garage, along with three bread makers, a couple of slow cookers, and other miscellaneous junk. I inherited stuff from my mother and mother-in-law and never got rid of it.

Not me, but my husband bought a pool table thinking he and his friends would play it all the time. It was expensive to begin with, then we moved and it was very expensive to have it moved and set up again. He then built a pool room out of part of the basement, even more money spent and it rarely gets used. Huge waste of money and space IMHO.

Over optimistic things you have purchased? -
For example have you ever bought a bread maker thinking it would mean you would never have to buy a loaf again?

I have a bread maker I've never used, but I didn't buy it. - Someone gave it to me because they didn't use it. :laughing:

An apple peeler corer slicer...yes that was a thing

I love mine!! I do not have the patience to prep pie apples that perfectly. (Plus, it's fun!)

I do need to know if it makes noise. I’ve created a whole scene from The Office in my head around this and that’s a critical detail. :laughing:
OK, just for you, I cleared some time on my calendar yesterday (can't work and pedal at the same time, remember?) and dusted off the Cubii. Although I never really noticed it before, I paid special attention to the sound so I could describe it to you. Bearing in mind I was wearing high heels, which may or may not have made a difference, the only description that really does it justice is that of a well-padded headboard rhythmically thudding against a wall, faster or slower, depending on your pace. Not super loud, mind you, but distinctive - KWIM? :o I'm blushing even typing this and I did try hard to come up with something else, but there it is.

Last edited:
Beads and findings for making earrings. I made about a bajillion pairs of earrings, with the idea of selling them at flea markets in the spring and summer of 2020. Was derailed by the pandemic and then I just lost interest. I tried selling the supplies but there were no takers. I got mad one day and put it all out with the garbage. There went my multi-million dollar jewelry making business.

I have a bread maker I've never used, but I didn't buy it. - Someone gave it to me because they didn't use it. :laughing:

I love mine!! I do not have the patience to prep pie apples that perfectly. (Plus, it's fun!)
Maybe I will try to make an apple pie now that my youngest is in college. It was way too ambitious when I was always in baseball practice or cheerleading practice when not at work. :-)

My sister bought me the first generation kindle . It was so expensive to buy books and the library didn’t have many for it at the time . Didn’t use it . It’s obsolete now . I’m sure the updated ones are great but now I have no desire to get one because the first one was very impractical. I love a real book anyway .

OK, just for you, I cleared some time on my calendar yesterday (can't work and pedal at the same time, remember?) and dusted off the Cubii. Although I never really noticed it before, I paid special attention to the sound so I could describe it to you. Bearing in mind I was wearing high heels, which may or may not have made a difference, the only description that really does it justice is that of a well-padded headboard rhythmically thudding against a wall, faster or slower, depending on your pace. Not super loud, mind you, but distinctive - KWIM? :o I'm blushing even typing this and I did try hard to come up with something else, but there it is.
I love you :love2: and your description is so much better than I ever imagined. A headboard banging against the wall in keeping with one’s pace? Well, now my imaginary comedy sketch has gone in a very different direction. Thank you for this. :thumbsup2

My sister bought me the first generation kindle . It was so expensive to buy books and the library didn’t have many for it at the time . Didn’t use it . It’s obsolete now . I’m sure the updated ones are great but now I have no desire to get one because the first one was very impractical. I love a real book anyway .
I had one of those too, and had the same issues. Years later, I have a ton of physical books at my place, but I'm missing ones out of the middle of each series. I received a Kobo for Christmas, and that works great with the local library. Now I read through until I'm missing a book and sign it out remotely from the library. I highly recommend trying again, especially if you're able to borrow one before buying.

My mother loaned me an air fryer because she didn't use it. I had such plans, but so far I've only used it for fries, wings and roasted chickpeas. It's one of the old style ones with the little thing that spins around the inside. I haven't quite given up on it yet, I just need some good recipes (I hope).

Air fryer, I had such good intentions too. It was just something else that sat out on my counter until it finally went into the pantry... never to be seen again. o_O

We have an air fryer, it's good for snacky foods. I can't stand the "easy" french toast, scrambled eggs, what ever recipes, where you cook one piece at a time, you have to stop and stir every 18 seconds and flip 14 times.

Instapot. Used it for many pots of soup over the winter. Cooked up the chicken , pulled out the chicken , add some water, add vegs, add chicken and noodles. All in one pot. Same with beef but did have to add some boxed broth.

That cycle thing, how do you read a book when everything is jiggling?

The thing we don't have is a food processor. My DD gave us one and two years later when hers broke , we gave it back. I find it easier to use a knife to cut up the few veggies or whatever, than dealing with the parts and cleaning.

A mandoline slicer I bought over 10 years ago - never used it once
I got one for Christmas this past year. Fantastic! I found out potato chips made in the air fryer was a piece of cake rather than buying bags of potato chips. Made potato chips once, then got serious about the diet and quit eating potatoes, LOL. It's just sitting there now.

OMG just for hard boiled eggs alone! and pulled pork! rice! The BEST mac and cheese.

Between it and the air fryer I hardly use any other kitchen equipment.

My most optimistic: A small covered "greenhouse" that I started some money plant (lunaria) seed in last year. They all died. My grandmother had some really nice, well-established plants.
I use it for soup, that's about it. Meats are better from the crock pot. They work in the pressure cooker, just far superior cooked all day in the slow cooker. Better texture and better fat rendering.

I do use my air fryer all the time, but that's because it wasn't a new gadget, it was a toaster oven replacement, which I also previously used all the time cooking for just myself 99% of the time.

I was way more optimistic about the Instant Pot, but all I make is soup in it. However, it is worth it just for stuffed pepper soup and chili.

A mandoline slicer I bought over 10 years ago - never used it once
I'm not usually talked into gadgets, but for some reason that I cannot explain I had repeatedly been suckered into buying one of those frequently. When I was young they used to have display shows at the local county fair. I was fascinated by the slice, dice and etc. of the display and bought one every year. At first I bought them for my mother. I never saw them much after I gave them to her so I guess I assumed that she either broke it or wore it out, so every year at the fair I would buy a new one. I did it again after I got married and since my wife was a good cook I figured she would appreciate such a handy device. She didn't and had no problem letting me know. That kind of killed my admiration for them.

OMG - I could make a list - scrapbook stuff (in my defense I did scrapbook a ton when the kids were little), jewelry making supplies, really so many craft supplies....ice cream machine, soda stream (we were not going to buy anymore soda) and I could go on and on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter