Our 1st ever kid-free WDW trip PTR

What's going on? All sorts of things in the WDW world! DIS Boards is awesome because I first read about it here.
:disrocks:

The big announcement yesterday from Disney about WDW was chock full of info! First, there was this info about on-site resort guests' ability to make a theme park reservation:

• Need a valid theme park ticket or AP which is linked to your My Disney Experience account.
  • Need a linked on-site hotel reservation.
  • Then you’ll have access to a calendar of available reservation dates for each date of your visit.
  • If you have a multi-day ticket, you’ll need to make a park reservation for each day of your visit.
  • Park availability can change until the reservation is finalized.
  • Guests can select 1 park per day. No park hopping available.
Hm...no park hopping yet. When I read this, I thought, 'Ok, we'll just go with base tickets for now and we'll see how things play out if they add park hopping in later on. We can always upgrade our tickets later whenever we are actually able to buy tickets."

Then there was info about My Disney Experience app changes for 2021!

• WDW will be retiring complimentary Magic Bands starting 1/1/2021.
  • WDW resort guests can purchase Magic Bands at a discount.
  • If you don’t want to buy a Magic Band, you can use the MDE app or use a Key To The World card during your visit.
I felt a disturbance in The Force last night because that was a whole bunch of turbo WDW fans doing a collective "WHAT?!" to hearing that there won't be free Magic Bands anymore.

Hm...new technology roll out effective 1/1/2021 and our trip starts 1/23. I remember reading on DIS Boards back when Magic Bands went live and all of the problems and frustration that initially occurred among DISers. I think that I am going to plan on purchasing generic Magic Bands for us for this trip since DH liked using one when we were at WDW 2 years ago.

I wonder if linking the Magic Bands to our room and all of that will require a trip to the front desk? Getting a Key To The World probably would.

THEN...WDW also announced that next week, you'll be able to book regular WDW packages for 2021! This means that we'll be able to add tickets to our room-only package (which our Dreams Unlimited Travel agent is going to do for us).

AND....once we have tickets in the package and they're linked to my MDE account, we'll be able to..

MAKE PARK RESERVATIONS FOR OUR TRIP! WHAT?! OMG!

Of course, I'm already thinking about what park for what day. More about that in the next post.

Reactions: DLo
This is pretty much where my head has been all morning. :rotfl2:
dory.jpg

One option I thought about was this:
Sat 1/23 – Epcot
Sun 1/24 – MK
Mon 1/25 – AK
Tues 1/26 – Cape Canaveral, then Epcot preferably late afternoon entry
Wed 1/27 – HS or MK
Thurs 1/28 – MK

Or another option was this:
Sat 1/23 – Epcot
Sun 1/24 – MK
Mon 1/25 – Cape Canaveral, Epcot w/late afternoon entry
Tues 1/26 – HS
Wed 1/27 – AK or MK
Thurs 1/28 - MK

You know what time it is?

story time.jpg

All of the information I've read so far says that in order for you to dive into Theme Park Reservation-Land, you need 3 things:
1. a My Disney Experience account for each person on the reservation.
2. a valid theme park ticket or AP.
3. a Disney resort hotel reservation linked to your MDE account before you're going to make park reservations.

This morning, I had my MDE account linked to our January hotel reservation. But no tickets yet. And I didn't have a DH MDE account set up for him that was also linked to our hotel reservation. The hotel reservation listed his name, but it wasn't linked to an MDE account that's in his name.

Here's where the fun began!

• DH has 2 personal email addresses.
  • I **thought** that he had a MDE account from 2 yr ago when we went to WDW, but couldn't remember which email it was under.
  • Did a password reset request for the account with his primary personal email account.
  • Logged in. Nope...it appears that was set up w/my MIL's information. How could this be when we only created her a DL account from awhile ago when we took her w/us to DL one time?
  • So then I tried doing a password reset request for DH's secondary email address. He never got it.
  • It turns out that he didn't have an MDE login under that email.
  • So I set one up. Then logged in as him. And linked the hotel reservation. BUT....
  • it then looked like there were two "DH's Name" MDE accounts. OH GREAT! What am I supposed to do now?
So then it looked like this...
tech support no.jpg

Spent 30 min on hold. Explained the situation to the Disney IT tech support person. And thankfully, in <5 min, she was able to resolve it so now there's only one of "DH's Name" in MDE. Problem solved.

whew.jpg

DH didn't understand why I "had to" do this today. Um...because I have time NOW to spend an hour on hold if I have to. Because 2021 WDW packages through late Sept 2021 are opening up to book this coming Wednesday. And then right after we have tickets added to our room-only "package," then I can make park reservations. :teacher:

And because I don't want all of that to be delayed because of DH's MDE account.

And since we've basically hanging out here at home with nothing to do, I might as well get this squared away now, right?

RIGHT! :thumbsup2

Today, I'm a happy camper because...
magic kingdom.jpg

In other words, I made another payment today towards our trip!

On a not-so-happy note, what a train wreck the WDW park reservation system has turned into! So many people on hold for hours! Lots of AP people unable to make any more than 3 park day reservations despite having on site hotel stays linked to their My Disney Experience accounts. I feel badly for all of the CMs in Guest Services on the phone who have probably been yelled at all day long by angry and frustrated guests.

I got an email this morning from our Dreams Unlimited Travel agent. She said that tomorrow's the day! The day that she can get tickets added to our package. I don't expect many of the problems that other guests have encountered so far with park reservations because: (1) we don't have AP's; and (2) we don't have a combo of AP's and tickets linked to MDE; and (3) we don't have multiple tickets for each person linked to MDE. Basically, we'll only have 1 ticket per person (multi-day ticket, but 1 ticket nonetheless). And right now, the people who appear to have the most success seem to be the folks who only have ONE upcoming trip and ONE ticket per person.

Then once our travel agent gets the tickets added, then I can make our park reservations. I'm going to assume for now that the current park hours will be about the same in January. So those park hours are:

MK: 9 am - 7 pm
EP: 11am - 9 pm
HS: 10 am - 8 pm
AK: 8 am - 6 pm

I still think we should do Epcot on arrival day since it's open the latest. Then maybe...

• Sun 1/24 - HS or MK. DH will want to hit up Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and neither of us have been to Toy Story Land. So I'm leaning towards HS on this day.
  • Mon 1/25 - MK
  • Tues 1/26 - maybe AK first thing in the morning then spend the afternoon at Cape Canaveral and have dinner somewhere in Disney Springs? DH won't want to ride Kali River Rapids, Na'vi River Journey (I'm happy to skip that one, too), or Expedition Everest. So it'll be a focus on seeing animals and riding Dinosaur and Flight of Passage.
  • Wed 1/27 - Epcot
  • Thurs 1/28 - MK, then sad ride to the airport in the afternoon.

Reactions: DLo
I’m new to this site & somehow stumbled on your story. It’s been a fun journey reading it from beginning to now. I’m in the beginning stages of trying to plan a trip back to WDW sometime in January or February 2021. It’ll be interesting to see how and if it can all play out!

I’m new to this site & somehow stumbled on your story. It’s been a fun journey reading it from beginning to now. I’m in the beginning stages of trying to plan a trip back to WDW sometime in January or February 2021. It’ll be interesting to see how and if it can all play out!

Awesome! Where are you thinking of staying?

Awesome! Where are you thinking of staying?
I’d love to be at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian, but not so sure they’re in the budget yet. I’ve recently learned about DVC renting, so that could make it a possibility. I’m also always up for a stay at the Art or Animation again. I love your attitude of rolling with the changes of policy and procedures, as new info comes out. I want to be more laid back, so that’s how I’m going to try to approach this trip.
Oh and not sure if you got the toll road portion of your car rental situated, but the ones we’ve gone through in that area have cash lane options. And if you miss it, the rental will be linked to your name and eventually you’ll get a toll bill mailed to you.

I’d love to be at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian, but not so sure they’re in the budget yet. I’ve recently learned about DVC renting, so that could make it a possibility. I’m also always up for a stay at the Art or Animation again. I love your attitude of rolling with the changes of policy and procedures, as new info comes out. I want to be more laid back, so that’s how I’m going to try to approach this trip.
Oh and not sure if you got the toll road portion of your car rental situated, but the ones we’ve gone through in that area have cash lane options. And if you miss it, the rental will be linked to your name and eventually you’ll get a toll bill mailed to you.

Thanks for the info about the toll road & car rentals! That's good to know!

I've considered doing a DVC rental before. It's definitely much less expensive than a regular Deluxe resort for sure! I'd love to stay at CR some day. That's a bucket list thing for me. Even if it's to stay in the Garden Wing. I think in 2-3 yr we'll do that.

Thanks for the info about the toll road & car rentals! That's good to know!

I've considered doing a DVC rental before. It's definitely much less expensive than a regular Deluxe resort for sure! I'd love to stay at CR some day. That's a bucket list thing for me. Even if it's to stay in the Garden Wing. I think in 2-3 yr we'll do that.

That's what I'm thinking about doing for 2021. Rent DVC at either the Contemporary or Beach Club. I don't think I could afford to stay at a "regular" deluxe room

Today, I watched this DIS Unplugged video...

And now I've decided that DH & I need to have dinner at The Wave! That bacon & eggs appetizer looks REALLY good! :flower1: Since Akershus and some other places are currently out and park hopping is a no go for who knows how long, my current restaurant list now includes:

• The Wave
  • Hollywood Brown Derby
  • Skipper Canteen
  • Homecomin'
  • cocktails and appetizers at Trader Sam's at the Polynesian
  • maybe CA Grill Lounge if it reopens by January

I have some good news to report! I got an email from our Dreams Unlimited Travel agent shortly after 7 am Arizona time (so just after 10 am Eastern) and she got our package sorted out! We have tickets! It appears that WDW **is** selling PH tickets for 2021 right now, so we got those.

Our travel agent said that the WDW Travel system is acting screwy today, though, so it required her to make a whole new package instead of adding tickets to our 'room only package' like Disney previously told her she'd be able to do. She's working on getting the funds transferred from that package to the new one.

Regardless of all that, I was able to make ALL of our 6 days of park reservations this morning without any problems! So here's where our itinerary currently stands:

• Sat 1/23 - fly on United to Orlando, changing planes in Houston. Flight leaves PHX at 7:30 am. Cross fingers for no weather delays. :-) If all goes well, land at 3:15 pm. Take Magical Express to POP Century. Deposit bags in our room & then head to Epcot. I think we'll just collect our luggage from baggage claim instead of using the luggage delivery. DH will want to change his clothes. No ADRs for dinner. Stay until 9 pm park close.
  • Sun 1/24 - Hollywood Studios day! Hours are 10 am - 8 pm. ADR hopefully for Hollywood Brown Derby. Don't know if menu is different for lunch vs dinner.
  • Mon 1/25 - Magic Kingdom! Hours are 9 am - 7 pm. Hoping for an ADR at Skipper Canteen for lunch. Or maybe go to Trader Sam's at the Polynesian for lunch. And if the CA Grill Lounge is open in January, we'll eat there for dinner & cocktails after the park closes at 7 pm.
  • Tues 1/26 - Animal Kingdom in morning. Hours are 8 am - 6 pm. No ADR at AK. This would also be our Cape Canaveral day. Car Care Center opens at 6 am, so I think I'll go pick up the one-day car rental early, swing around to POP to pick up DH, then we drive to AK and park there (yeah, I know that we'll have to pay $25 for parking, but it will save us a lot of time this way). Focus on AK will be to go on Dinosaur & Flight of Passage + look at some animals. Then hit the road for Cape Canaveral. Turn car in by 6 pm. Have dinner maybe at Homecomin' at Disney Springs. But I might be biting off more than we can chew this day. Will have to think about this some more. Probably will need to leave AK at 11 am to make it all work.
  • Wed 1/27 - Magic Kingdom again. 9 am - 7 pm. Leave park for lunch...maybe Trader Sam's at the Polynesian since DH hasn't seen that resort yet and we can get some down time away from a park for a little bit. Or eat QS in MK and have an ADR for dinner at The Wave at CR.
  • Thurs 1/28 - MK 1 last time! 9 am - 7 pm. Don't know yet what time we'll be departing for the airport since we don't have our flights booked yet. Am hoping for a flight around 4-5 pm, so Magic Express would pick us up at our resort around 1-2 pm. Might be able to cram in an early lunch ADR at Skipper Canteen again.

Since you’re staying at a Disney resort, you’ll have free parking at the park!

Since you’re staying at a Disney resort, you’ll have free parking at the park!

Nope. You still have to pay for parking one way or another. There isn't any free parking. You either pay at the resort or at the theme park.

Hi again! :flower1:

Our original room-only reservation is now cancelled and now we have a new WDW confirmation # that has both the room and tickets together in 1 package, thanks to all of the hard work from our travel agent. This is just a basic package, no discounts or anything. 6 days, 5 nights at POP Century in a Preferred room plus 6-day PH tickets...yes, they're letting you purchase those for 2021! If park hopping isn't available by when we go in January, then we'll just get a refund for the difference between the PH and Base ticket price.

No dining packages available to add on. That's ok, though. We'll just handle the food budget like we do at Disneyland...where there are ZERO dining packages all the time! In the past, I've squirreled away $$ on Disney gift cards for this purpose and that's worked out well.

So the total for the 2 6-day PH tickets was $1211.88 and the 5-night room cost is $960.18, which makes it $192.04/night (but that's including the tax).

I read the news about how Disney is going to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess & the Frog. I hope that we can at least ride it once before it closes down for the redo. I love Princess & the Frog and I'm looking forward to experiencing it as a new attraction. But I'm also a little sad about it going away...lots of happy memories of my kids discovering it as their first thrill ride. One thing's for sure - we'll have plenty of fun new memories on Splash Mountain with the Princess & the Frog change over!

You have some great options for dining on your list! Some of my favorites (non-nuggets or pizza or hamburgers) that I cannot recommend enough are Sanaa (lunch), California Grill (brunch), and Homecomin' (brunch).

I think what the pp was getting at was that since you are paying for parking at the hotel, you won't pay for parking at the parks if you choose to drive. This was my experience on my last trip. You just show the attendant your magic band at the park gates and you will be admitted through.

I think what the pp was getting at was that since you are paying for parking at the hotel, you won't pay for parking at the parks if you choose to drive. This was my experience on my last trip. You just show the attendant your magic band at the park gates and you will be admitted through.

Oh duh! Of course! :-) Thank you!!

It may seem right now like the world is imploding with corona virus cases rising in many areas. There's not a whole lot I can do about that. Our family can only control our own behavior and our own choices. And I purposely have been putting myself on a little bit of a news diet in the past few days because, frankly, I am just over dosed on all of the Armageddon news.

I need a little bit of good news for a change.

So today, I'm choosing to be happy that the Magic Kingdom is opening on July 11th! party:

Magic Kingdom.jpg

DH & I are still proceeding with our January 2021 WDW plans. This week, we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. We were SUPPOSED to be celebrating it at Disneyland with an awesome dinner at Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel. But none of that is open now. Disneyland isn't reopening on 7/17 like Disney thought they would because of CA governor restrictions against theme parks reopening yet. The Disneyland trip was also supposed to be a "YAY! I'm cancer free!" celebration from having gone through a double mastectomy a year ago due to breast cancer. That celebration is on hold, too.

Instead, we went out to dinner at a local restaurant that we know, which does social distancing really well, where the servers all wear masks and gloves and the whole 9 yards. We laughed a lot. We introduced our kids to The Breakfast Club on pay-per-view online movie streaming/rental. It was a pretty good day.

I've seen videos on Youtube of guests who are staying at the DVC resorts right now on site at WDW. And from what I've seen so far, it looks like Disney is taking the precautions very seriously. I'm glad of that. I have no regrets or second thoughts right now about our January plans.

Here at home in AZ, we're wearing masks everywhere and yes, it's totally annoying. Especially when it's 105 out. But I can't really control the annoying-ness of it. We can choose to be frustrated and angry by it every day. Or we can choose to accept it for now.

I don't know if Disneyland will be open over Labor Day weekend like we hope it will be. If that's all meant to happen, then the planets will align and it will work out. For now, I'll just settle with dreaming about trying that bacon & eggs appetizer at The Wave at the Contemporary! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter