Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West (Update: Day 17 - There and back again)

Boo for the bad breakfast. My Dad and I did a TN to WA road trip while I was in college and stayed at a place where the free breakfast was a bowl of sketchy looking red apples and a tray that someone had dumped a package of the little white powdered hostess donuts on. Needless to say, we didn't take our chances.

We are big fans of the license plate game! I've gotten close to seeing them all on a single trip, but I have come up a few short each time. Always lower 48 states, I always find AK (out of AK, of course!) and HI fairly easy it seems. DH and I also like the ABC car game (finding cars alphabetically by make or model).

That train yard looks awesome. One of the best things about road trips are all the fun things you get a chance to see along the way that you likely would've never seen otherwise.

Looks fun! We stayed in North Platte so many times when we were in Wisconsin and would travel to Utah and back visiting family and I had NO idea that was there!

I have been eagerly awaiting your trip report! We had to change up some of our stops so our trip wasn't quite like yours but it was fun!
Had to laugh on the Taco Johns! Ours is pretty good but the potato ole's are the best!! They also have them with nacho like toppings and sometimes we eat just that!!
North Platt is a couple hours from us. It really is awesome if you like trains at all. Did you get to see the Big Boy in Cheyenne?
Can't wait until your next installment which I'm sure will be super exciting driving across I80!!!
Kari

I have a very good friend that is a train enthusiast. I'm going to ask him if he's heard of North Platte. What a cool stop!

Love the "Welcome to [insert state]" signs throughout the US.

My gut is that if he's a train enthusiast, he's probably heard of it. If not, I hope he has a chance to check it out some day :hippie:

Very cool! I need to let my Dad know...he's a huge train buff although he likes steam trains the best.

I'll be in Philly for business next week! Holler if your dates line up!

Jill in CO

I won't arrive in Philly until the 29th, otherwise it might have been fun to have a mini DISMeet :hippie:

My son would have loved the train yard when he was younger (he was totally into trains and especially Thomas the Train until he was about 6). It kind of reminds me of the National Train Museum in Green Bay that we visited a few times back in the day!

I didn't know about that museum in Green Bay. My sister moved to Milwaukee last summer, might have to make a side trip to Green Bay next time we visit her. Thanks for the heads up!

Boo for the bad breakfast. My Dad and I did a TN to WA road trip while I was in college and stayed at a place where the free breakfast was a bowl of sketchy looking red apples and a tray that someone had dumped a package of the little white powdered hostess donuts on. Needless to say, we didn't take our chances.

We are big fans of the license plate game! I've gotten close to seeing them all on a single trip, but I have come up a few short each time. Always lower 48 states, I always find AK (out of AK, of course!) and HI fairly easy it seems. DH and I also like the ABC car game (finding cars alphabetically by make or model).

That train yard looks awesome. One of the best things about road trips are all the fun things you get a chance to see along the way that you likely would've never seen otherwise.

I think the breakfast here was a step up from sketchy apples and powdered donuts. But maybe not by much. The donuts were in a proper container, but they were stale. Ha!

Looks fun! We stayed in North Platte so many times when we were in Wisconsin and would travel to Utah and back visiting family and I had NO idea that was there!

I think the Golden Spike Tower is relatively new (less than 10 years old.) The rail yard has been there for a long time, but it might not have been as accessible (and therefore less popular.) I forgot to mention that they call it the "Golden Spike Tower" because the tower is built in the shape of the golden spike. Turns out that the site of the actual/real golden spike is in Utah.

I have been eagerly awaiting your trip report! We had to change up some of our stops so our trip wasn't quite like yours but it was fun!
Had to laugh on the Taco Johns! Ours is pretty good but the potato ole's are the best!! They also have them with nacho like toppings and sometimes we eat just that!!
North Platt is a couple hours from us. It really is awesome if you like trains at all. Did you get to see the Big Boy in Cheyenne?
Can't wait until your next installment which I'm sure will be super exciting driving across I80!!!
Kari

Cool! I'm glad to hear that maybe we visited a sub-par Taco John's, and that maybe the food is better at other locations.

I recalled that you mentioned the Big Boy train in my pre-trip report. We didn't actually stop and see it, but we did drive right past it and got a glimpse of it from the car! (I wouldn't have know to keep an eye out for it if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks!)

Day 2 - Saturday, June 13 - Part 2

I had read about there being a cool park with an old time carousel in the center of North Platte. And apparently, they had an old Union Pacific train that you could check out too. We had been making good time on our driving, so we decided to drive over to their main park and check it out.

Our first happy accident! #1. It turns out that the park is really awesome. They lots of animals, ball fields, the pool, the Union Pacific train site, and… a miniature amusement park! #2 A local healthcare provider was having a health fair at the park, and they were sponsoring all the kiddie rides. Everything was free! Yahoo!!!

Princess didn’t have any interest in the rides, or getting out of the car for that matter… she was happy to snap chat and instagram away without us.

The rides were pretty lame compared to most theme park standards… and a joke compared to what we would be experiencing at Disneyland. But that didn’t stop the kids from having fun! (And laughing quite a bit.)

day-02-flyer.gif

I'm a bit dizzy just watching the above image. LOL.

We probably stayed there for 30 minutes or so, and then decided to head over to the train site.

Wait a second, this is a bit cooler than I expected!!!! They have two large trains, and depot?!?!? Right on!!!

Buddy loves steam trains, so this was really cool! You could even go inside the locomotive and then walk through the train cars!

It turns out that the collection of train cars was actually an official museum maintained by Union Pacific. Nice!

Each car had different exhibits related to Union Pacific history, mail history, women in the industry, etc.

You could even walk through the diesel locomotive too!

We spent a total of 30 or 40 minutes exploring the trains and the depot. Buddy was happy to put his name in the guest book!

That was our happy surprise #2 for the day. Very cool!

So, it was time to head back to the highway, but we had one more stop to make… Fort Cody!!!

I found this place at one of the road trip planning sites. Apparently this tourist trap has been around for decades and had a great reputation, so I couldn’t resist!!

I’m glad we stopped because it was really awesome! It's half gift shop and half Buffalo Bill “Wild West” museum.

This is one of the best “touristy” gift shops I’ve ever seen. LOTS of candy. Lots of toys. And lots of general souvenirs and gifts. We spent a good while looking at things.

Pickle picked up some “wax soda bottle candy” but decided to pass on the pickle bandaids.

And, uh… no comment on the following photo. (Other than.. no, she didn't buy it.)

In the back section of the shop, they had museum stuff. All kids of artifacts from the Buffalo Bill Wild West shows, and they even had an animated diorama section that ran every few minutes. It was full of miniatures re-enacting the shows and parades. The picture below is just a fraction of the entire display area. I wish I had grabbed better photos, but oh well, I guess you’ll have to go see it in person some day...

day-02-wild-west.gif

But wait, there’s more!!!

If you go out the back door, they have a big western area inside the fort. It has a bunch of covered wagons and pioneer stuff. And what fort wouldn’t be complete with a giant Native American statue?!?!?

The kids had fun playing out there for a while, and then it really was time to get back on the road. One last photo and we piled back into the car.

We drove a bit longer and before we knew it, we had passed into Wyoming. Awesome!!!

For the most part, the drive across Nebraska and into Cheyenne was fairly boring… baring the occasional meandering stream… and of course the random vat of radioactive material?!?!?

Also, there are a lot of bugs in Nebraska.

We arrived in Cheyenne with a little time to spare, so we stopped at the Sierra Trading Post’s flagship store. (They are sort of like an outlet version of REI or something like that.) I forgot to pack flip flops on the trip, so I was stoked to pick up a nice pair of old school Teva’s for $13!

For dinner, the kids voted Chick-fil-A. We don’t eat there too often and it sounded good to everyone, so… sure... OK. Yum!

At that point, we decided to head over to the hotel.

Thank’s to a tip from jeeperwy, we kept an eye out for Big Boy as we passed by the city park.

Not wanting to overdue it with trains for the day, we decided to just drive by...

We pulled into the Fairfield Inn and Suites just as the sun was setting. It sure was pretty!

The room was really nice. Definitely a step up from the Comfort Inn last night. (Yahoo, for credit card points.)

Buddy and Pickle wanted to swim again, so I went down with them. The water was actually quite warm and enjoyable. Salt water pool too. Nice!

We swam until about 10pm and headed back up to the room.

We had hoped to catch up with the rest of our family that evening, but they underestimated how much time they needed up at Devil’s Tower and they didn’t get into the hotel until after 11pm. No worries, we had plenty of time to catch up the next morning!!!

What a fun day! I've been to Ft Cody and it is a fun stop. Love you stumbled onto the little free amusement rides.

Jill in CO

I love the idea of trying different "quick serve" locations during the trip. Hopefully you found some you enjoyed more than the first two though.

The train yard looks amazing! Was it very active with moving trains around while you were there? There is a restaurant near us that has a similar setup with the model trains that run if you deposit money - actually had Peter's last birthday dinner there. We usually just give the waiter $5 or something and ask him to keep it running :rotfl2:

That happy accident park looked great - especially the train part, but having some rides was fun too. Fort Cody looks like something fun to check out once (I think I would have gotten the pickle band aids though)

Glad you are making good time and not having any issues really yet.

The Happy Accident park reminds me of a place we took the girls last summer while visiting family in WA called Remlinger Farms. It has a lot of little rides totally perfect for the younger set :)

Happy Accidents are always great! I love the mini-amusement park and the store with all the candy...I love candy!!!

Turns out that the site of the actual/real golden spike is in Utah.

I wondered if it was related to it. I have been to the real one here in Utah a few times.
Looks like a nice fun day. That park looks like a fun stop.
And your hotel does look really nice.

Sounds like you had a great day!! If we have to stay overnight in Cheyenne we stay at that Fairfield inn too. It's nice to have the indoor pool in the winter!
Did your relatives enjoy Devils tower? I think it's really neat but man is it in the middle of nowhere!!! (But I guess most of Wyoming would be the middle of nowhere since we only have 500,000 people in the whole state!!)

Can't wait for the next update!
Kari

The kiddie rides that were at the Heath Faire at North Platte remind me of the rides that were around many, many years ago. Actually - I would love to stumble upon some of those "tamer" rides for our grandchildren. We just had a festival of sorts in our hometown and none of the rides were appropriate for them to go on by themselves and I am not a fan of the "crazy bus" or the "crazy boat" for that matter!!

Your children are going to have some wonderful memories!! I am so enjoying your photos - thanks so much for taking the time to share. :)

Cody and Buffalo Bill is a fun stop. Looks like you got the most out of your visit there.

What a fun day! I've been to Ft Cody and it is a fun stop. Love you stumbled onto the little free amusement rides.

Jill in CO

Yes, it sure was a fun day indeed!

I love the idea of trying different "quick serve" locations during the trip. Hopefully you found some you enjoyed more than the first two though.

The train yard looks amazing! Was it very active with moving trains around while you were there? There is a restaurant near us that has a similar setup with the model trains that run if you deposit money - actually had Peter's last birthday dinner there. We usually just give the waiter $5 or something and ask him to keep it running :rotfl2:

We certainly did find some good "quick service" locations on the trip, but they were mostly in California.

I love the idea of asking the waiter to keep the trains running. That's funny!

That happy accident park looked great - especially the train part, but having some rides was fun too. Fort Cody looks like something fun to check out once (I think I would have gotten the pickle band aids though)

Glad you are making good time and not having any issues really yet.

What, and pass on the floating pooh?!?! LOL.

The Happy Accident park reminds me of a place we took the girls last summer while visiting family in WA called Remlinger Farms. It has a lot of little rides totally perfect for the younger set :)

Yes, this park was certainly geared for the smaller crowd. Even Pickle was a bit on the big kid side for many of the rides. But still lots of fun. A great small town vibe!

Happy Accidents are always great! I love the mini-amusement park and the store with all the candy...I love candy!!!

I love candy too! Stay tuned for our visit to Candy Heaven in Sacramento. Lots and lots of candy!!!

I wondered if it was related to it. I have been to the real one here in Utah a few times.
Looks like a nice fun day. That park looks like a fun stop.
And your hotel does look really nice.

I thought it would have been cool to visit the real one in Utah, but it was just a little too far out of the way. Maybe next time!

Sounds like you had a great day!! If we have to stay overnight in Cheyenne we stay at that Fairfield inn too. It's nice to have the indoor pool in the winter!
Did your relatives enjoy Devils tower? I think it's really neat but man is it in the middle of nowhere!!! (But I guess most of Wyoming would be the middle of nowhere since we only have 500,000 people in the whole state!!)

Can't wait for the next update!
Kari

Yes, the did enjoy Devil's Tower. Sounds like they had an amazing day exploring that part of the state!

The kiddie rides that were at the Heath Faire at North Platte remind me of the rides that were around many, many years ago. Actually - I would love to stumble upon some of those "tamer" rides for our grandchildren. We just had a festival of sorts in our hometown and none of the rides were appropriate for them to go on by themselves and I am not a fan of the "crazy bus" or the "crazy boat" for that matter!!

Your children are going to have some wonderful memories!! I am so enjoying your photos - thanks so much for taking the time to share. :)

Wonderful memories indeed! Thanks for following along :)

Cody and Buffalo Bill is a fun stop. Looks like you got the most out of your visit there.

Certainly!!!!

Day 3 - Sunday, June 14 - A family Reunion

The plan for today was to meet up with the rest of the family in the hotel lobby at 8am… and then drive to Elko, NV with a couple pit short stops and also a couple slightly longer stops at the Great Salt Lake and Bonneville Salt Flats.

We packed up our stuff and went down to the lobby for the free continental breakfast. Sure, enough, the rest of the family was down there too. The kids were excited to see their cousins, Luke and Leia.

As I said about the previous breakfast, I’m not a big fan of these things. However, this one was MUCH better than the one the day before. We ate and then spent some time on the patio out front, while the other “team” loaded their car.

And of course, we saw more trains!! (We assume some of them were on their way to Bailey Yard in North Platte.)

Pickle was goofing off for the camera, so of course, I had to take a turn...

Not too far into the morning drive, we saw our first “real” mountains of the trip. Snow off in the distance!

And of course, we had to hop off the highway to see Buford, WY. The nation’s smallest town, with a whopping population of one person!!! Haha!

Back in the car and a bit longer, we stopped to see the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Monument. Seemed sort of interesting, so why not?

I asked Princess to hop up on the pedestal to get an interesting angle for a photo….

And of course, Pickle and Leia had to join in too!

It turns out that the Lincoln monument was at one of the coolest rest stops ever (just outside of Laramie, WY.) They offered a collectible sticker to everyone. These are really cool! (And made us want to stop at other rest stops to get more!)

The lady behind the counter was super friendly. It was fun chatting with her for a few minutes. They also have a small museum on site, with WY history and stuff. Really cool!

We probably spent 30 minutes in the rest stop and then we were on the road again!

OK. Highway 80 through WY is actually pretty darn cool. Interesting sites and great scenery!

I can’t remember the name of the town where we stopped for lunch, but it was a couple hours east of Salt Lake City. We had Wendy’s, which is Grandpa’s favorite chain restaurant. I’d say about half of the party was excited for it, the rest of us where like, “whatever, sometimes you just eat because you die if you don’t.” LOL.

Another couple hours, we made it to Salt Lake City. I had never seen this area before, it was pretty spectacular coming out of the mountains and towards the lake. We decided for a pit stop at the Great Salt Lake Marina. Turned out to be a great place to get out, stretch the legs, explore a bit, and see the lake!

It was pretty darn cool! We checked out this “look out point” for a few minutes, and then realized that you could actually go down to the water.

There were people swimming out there, but it didn’t seem to appealing to me. It smelled like death and there were nasty little flies everywhere. Regardless, it was pretty darn cool to be standing on the shores of the Great Salt Lake. I took tons of photos, but choosing to keep it pretty straight forward here. Here’s a shot of Nanny and Grandpa!

We probably spent about an hour total here, and then got on the road yet again.

Another hour or so later, we made it to the salt flats! I had read that there is a rest area about 10 miles east of the Utah/Nevada border, so we pulled off there.

Wow, this is actually a great place to stop. They had easy access to the salt flats, water to since your feet off afterwards, and restrooms. Perfect!

Before I had a second look, the kids were all out on the salt.

Too cool! This was truly bizarre. It felt like I was on a frozen lake with a layer of snow on top. I kept on expecting the surface to crack and give way, but it was totally solid.

I looked up again, and they were way out there!

Again, I probably took over a hundred photos (or more), but I’m only sharing a few. Here’s one of Stephanie and her mom.

The top layer of salt was actually sort of moist, with a consistency of cake frosting. It stuck all over our feet. Weird!!!

And looking more closely, the salt had all sorts of cool crystals on the surface...

We probably spent about 30 minutes or so on the salt (it was really hot and sunny) and then decided to head towards Wendover, NV for dinner. (Probably 20 minutes west.)

OK. We have to stop for photos at the Wendover Will statue!!!!!

Stephanie took a photo of me, and realized that it looked like he was patting my head, so we had to ham it up a bit...

We decided to stop for Burger King for dinner, as it was just down the road from Will. No pictures or anything, as it wasn’t anything special. The one interesting thing about it was… They had hot dogs. I figured, this must be a special regional thing, because I never heard of BK having hot dogs before. I did’t really want one, but I liked the idea of trying something new so… I ordered the two dog meal. Bad choice, they were disgusting. I couldn’t even finish them. LOL. Oh well, you can't win them all...

It was another two hours or so to Elko, so we hopped back in the car again. The evening drive was gorgeous. Beautiful sunset!

And a little while later, we made it to our hotel. Another Fairfield Inn. (Yahoo again for Marriott rewards points!)

Another really nice hotel, similar to the one the previous night.

We headed down to the pool so that all the kids could swim together and burn off some energy. Around 10pm, we headed back to our rooms.

Interestingly, these rooms were supposed to accommodate 5 people by default. I guess we should have asked for a cot or something, but I thought they’d have a sofa bed. No worries, we turned the chairs together and it made a nice little bed for Pickle. Good night moon!

I am loving this TR for learning which places to stop at and what to maybe skip (i.e., the hot dogs at Burger King .... never saw that before. Reminds me of how the NY metro area is the only place McDonalds doesn't put mustard on their hamburgers)

I love the stickers from the rest area and that they have the map for where to get more ... definitely could see the kids being into that and wanting to collect them all

There were people swimming out there, but it didn’t seem to appealing to me. It smelled like death and there were nasty little flies everywhere.
... oh, so how it used to be to swim in the Hudson River ;) .... I guess maybe they get used to it, but definitely would not motivate me to go swimming

The salt flats look really cool. Is it just over flat ground or is it on top of water? Just wondering how it is so flat like that. Interesting that the top is moist - goo thing you found a spot that had water to wash your shoes off after playing on the salt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter