Other Options...

I'll be sure to check each of these out; thank you very much for taking time to type it all out!
No problem at all. I would love to hear about your Galapagos trip when you get back. Based upon the experience we had on the mainland, we are planning to do the Galapagos when my son is a teen (and hopefully comfortable snorkeling).

We are currently on the first Tauck Bridges Cowboy Country trip of the season. It is amazing. The national parks are thinly staffed since they cannot run the staff dormitories as they have normally. All indications are that this season will bring the most visitors ever.

Some notes on the trip: I would estimate that more than 95% of the people we encounter are unmasked. Since most schools were not out, though, I think the demographics are skewing toward highly vaccinated older groups for now. We were informed that the rule was that you had to wear a mask while getting on and off the bus, but that while you were seated vaccinated people could take them off, but in practice there are only 2 kids on the trip of 32 that mask semi-regularly. No “pods” enforced and the teens are sitting in the back together as normal. To be honest, except for limited food options and the nice restaurant at Old Faithful being takeout only, this trip is almost exactly like pre-COVID normal. At the lodge in the Grand Tetons we were told the restaurant was staffed at one fourth the normal personnel, and since we couldn’t get in until after 9 for dinner on our pre night, we ended up eating cheese sticks from the gift shop that night.

For our guide, this is the first time he has worked since Fall 2019, and on our flight here for 3 of our flight attendants, it was their first flight back from furlough. I have been so missing travel over the past year and a half, but it was a reminder that our hardship was so minimal compared with others,

To expand a bit on how my TB experience was different from ABD:

1. The emails said that vaccination or negative PCR within 72 hours of departure was required, and you had to sign a pledge to that effect, but it was on the honor system. I brought all of our documentation and was never asked to show it.

2. The first night the guide said he had to tell us you had to wear masks walking on and off the bus, but could go maskless in your seat if vaccinated. The bus driver the next morning flat out said masks were voluntary and only 2 kids wore masks for more than a couple days. No one seemed to be bothered. Teens sat in the back as normal.

3. While there were changes to meals due to COVID, like the nice restaurant at the Snow Lodge being takeout only, we still had dinners that were buffet or where we had arranged tables to seat groups of 8. There was no such thing as travel pods. Our dinner tables had no overlap with our river rafting group, etc.

4. No temp taking or daily screening or anything like that. people were just expected to behave and respond appropriately.

5. I went 5 full days without ever putting on a mask, and it seemed to be 95% like the pre-COVID experience. I think the one time masks were required was in the vans to rafting on the Snake River. The way the current ABD was described was how I understood the Winter in Yellowstone trips that went were… 6 months ago. I don’t think the ABD experience that was described is one that I would desire, and I don’t think it was really in keeping with the current reality and and guidance.

I think Tauck had the luxury of having done the survey and knowing that 98% of their patrons were vaccinated. There were maybe 4 kids out of 32 people too young to be vaccinated, and that people just assumed the risk, knowing that everyone was vaccinated or negative and were comfortable with the risk.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with a trip like the Grand European ABD trip with ANOTHER company? I love the combination of England/ITaly/France all in one trip. It satisfies everyone in my family! My problem is it is offered in July and onward. I need to operate around a school schedule and need April May which also AVOIDS the heat of July! Any info much appreciate....THANKS!

Does anyone have experience with Kensington in Egypt (or in general, I guess)?

I'm not a fan of how ABD handled their cancellations during COVID, so I'm looking at other options. My first thought was to do the Ama River Cruise - Ama was great to us on our ABD trip. But I'm worried that tour doesn't have as much content. So, Kensington is the next one I'm considering. Any thoughts?

https://www.kensingtontours.com/travels/tours/egyptb/1041668

I'm not a fan of how ABD handled their cancellations during COVID, so I'm looking at other options. My first thought was to do the Ama River Cruise - Ama was great to us on our ABD trip. But I'm worried that tour doesn't have as much content. So, Kensington is the next one I'm considering. Any thoughts?

I have never used them, but I know people that have (for many trips) and love them. I would definitely consider them for a trip in the future.

Although we haven't used Kensington -- we are doing a very similar trip to this itinerary with A&K in 2022. We have friends who did the trip through them and that's how we landed on that group.

I would just like to say, again, how awesome Tauck has been. I teach, and budgeted my summer income to the trip I have scheduled. But a class got canceled and I am lacking the vacation funds until I get my regular semester pay. They've agreed to postpone my final payment date 11 days. And I can still cancel with no penalty except my deposit going to dreamsaver.

They are super easy to deal with, and I think after my Portugal ABD scheduled next year, I'm done with Disney, unless it's the DL adventure.

Our November Disneyland/So Cal ABD was cancelled. That was the one & only trip we were ever interested in taking with ABD; we won't be rebooking since the price has doubled since we originally booked. And all of the comments I have read here during COVID have indicated the lack of ABD's customer service culture.

We don't do tours very often but, in the past (pre-COVID), we have done Family Australia and regular Jordan & Egypt with A&K as well as Tauck's Japan & Danube River Cruise (regular with our teenager). I highly recommend both A&K and Tauck--the itineraries, company and local guides, accommodations, customer service are top of the line. I would probably give the edge to A&K for their flexibility and amazing personal attention. I wouldn't dream of traveling in Egypt with ABD...

Our November Disneyland/So Cal ABD was cancelled. That was the one & only trip we were ever interested in taking with ABD; we won't be rebooking since the price has doubled since we originally booked. And all of the comments I have read here during COVID have indicated the lack of ABD's customer service culture.

We don't do tours very often but, in the past (pre-COVID), we have done Family Australia and regular Jordan & Egypt with A&K as well as Tauck's Japan & Danube River Cruise (regular with our teenager). I highly recommend both A&K and Tauck--the itineraries, company and local guides, accommodations, customer service are top of the line. I would probably give the edge to A&K for their flexibility and amazing personal attention. I wouldn't dream of traveling in Egypt with ABD...
I'd love to hear more about Egypt with A&K - we have that booked for 2022. We haven't traveled with them before. Previously ABD or Tauck.

I'd love to hear more about Egypt with A&K - we have that booked for 2022. We haven't traveled with them before. Previously ABD or Tauck.

We combined our A&K trip to Egypt with Jordan. It wasn't a family trip--limited to 12 adults.

If you have any Qs, you can PM me.

River cruise question - Trying to stay positive re next summer travel to Europe. Will have 13 & 11 year olds by then and thinking about River cruises - seems like active options during day like biking, hiking, etc for those. We've used Tauck Bridges and Off the Beaten Path previously and looking into both Tauck Bridges and ABD Rhine River cruises. Anyone have feedback on either? Itinerary very similar (of course!) and price is nearly the same with the exception that I know Tauck includes all gratuities. Curious if anyone has information comparing the two ships (ABD v. Tauck) and thoughts in general? Thanks in advance!

River cruise question - Trying to stay positive re next summer travel to Europe. Will have 13 & 11 year olds by then and thinking about River cruises - seems like active options during day like biking, hiking, etc for those. We've used Tauck Bridges and Off the Beaten Path previously and looking into both Tauck Bridges and ABD Rhine River cruises. Anyone have feedback on either? Itinerary very similar (of course!) and price is nearly the same with the exception that I know Tauck includes all gratuities. Curious if anyone has information comparing the two ships (ABD v. Tauck) and thoughts in general? Thanks in advance!
Just to let you know, the ABD River Cruises include all gratuities, also, including for the Adventure Guides.

Sayhello

Reactions: ngl
My kids still reminisce about the ABD Rhine River cruise. We had a very good time and there were several teenagers around the same age as my dd. We were on the AMAKristina and it was a very, very nice ship. I would recommend ABD Rhine River cruise on an AMA ship.

For those that remember me talking about my European Christmas Market trip with ds to Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich, I have had to modify my trip. Currently people entering Austria who have visited Prague need to isolate for 10 days, so I made the decision to modify our flights to fly directly into Vienna. This cuts the trip short by 2 countries and 3 days, however I only have to worry about entry requirements to 3 countries (I am counting our return to Canada). I noticed that Germany tightened their borders today for US travellers, not sure if Canada is going to follow.
I have another worry -- I am fully vaccinated, but I received mixed doses (which is okay in Canada). If we don't get national vaccine passports before the trip (supposed to have them by the fall) I don't know if my fully immunized status will be recognized in Europe. I am perfectly okay if this trip gets postponed until 2022, depending on how the current situation plays out.

For those that remember me talking about my European Christmas Market trip with ds to Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich, I have had to modify my trip. Currently people entering Austria who have visited Prague need to isolate for 10 days, so I made the decision to modify our flights to fly directly into Vienna. This cuts the trip short by 2 countries and 3 days, however I only have to worry about entry requirements to 3 countries (I am counting our return to Canada). I noticed that Germany tightened their borders today for US travellers, not sure if Canada is going to follow.
I have another worry -- I am fully vaccinated, but I received mixed doses (which is okay in Canada). If we don't get national vaccine passports before the trip (supposed to have them by the fall) I don't know if my fully immunized status will be recognized in Europe. I am perfectly okay if this trip gets postponed until 2022, depending on how the current situation plays out.

I would think Germany (at least) would be okay. Merkel herself did a mixed vaccine (AstraZeneca and Moderna) and promoted it.

So, I just transferred my October Tauck New Orleans reservation to April...Spring Break at my teaching job. Delta cases in NOLA are soooo high right now. Maybe if it gets closer and things are better I'll try and switch back to October. But right now, it's too sketchy. But the new reservation in April is $1000 more so we'll see if I even do it. Cost was high enough at $1000 less. I may just try to replicate Tauck's itinerary on my own.

I just pulled the plug on Europe next summer. We were booked for the TB Alpine Adventure, but I am just not getting the vibe that Switzerland will be the experience we want. So we are doing the TB Alaska next year instead. This will be the second year in a row that I cancelled this trip, but Yellowstone this summer was so amazing. I felt I had to make the decision now, because 3/4 of the June Alaska trips were already sold out.

While I was on the call, I also put down a deposit for the Siene river cruise for 2023. It's not priced yet, but we need a suite since we are a family of 5, and those always sell out before they price it. It should price in late February or early March and I will have 14 days to get my deposit refunded when that happens. At least that is a single country trip, where I can get direct flights from my home airport with several carriers.

I just pulled the plug on Europe next summer. We were booked for the TB Alpine Adventure, but I am just not getting the vibe that Switzerland will be the experience we want. So we are doing the TB Alaska next year instead. This will be the second year in a row that I cancelled this trip, but Yellowstone this summer was so amazing. I felt I had to make the decision now, because 3/4 of the June Alaska trips were already sold out.

While I was on the call, I also put down a deposit for the Siene river cruise for 2023. It's not priced yet, but we need a suite since we are a family of 5, and those always sell out before they price it. It should price in late February or early March and I will have 14 days to get my deposit refunded when that happens. At least that is a single country trip, where I can get direct flights from my home airport with several carriers.
You will LOVE Alaska!! It's an amazing place, and I was seriously considering going there again this summer, but all the trips were sold out.

I had a Seine River cruise scheduled with ABD for May 2020. Still sad it was cancelled. It looks like an amazing place, and I'm sure I'll reschedule it some day.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!