You will LOVE Bryce and Zion! I finally booked a tour of both the last time I was in Vegas. We did both on the same day and the tour took about 14 hours from Las Vegas. We spent about 3 hours in each park which was plenty. I was glad I let the tour company drive instead of driving myself because there is not much out that way. St.George is about an 2 hours from Las Vegas, so if you decide to spend some pre-nights in Vegas there is a lot to do. Some people in our group had difficulty with the altitude at Bryce. They got sick once we got there(nausea, light headed, vomiting, etc.). I didn’t have any issues, so I was glad. There weren’t many guardrails on the trails we took at Bryce and there was still ice on the ground which made some places on the trail treacherous when I went in early April. You could actually go right to the edge and look over which was kind of scary.Well, for a whole bunch of reasons, I've decided not to travel with ABD this year. Chief among them is that I'm just not ready to travel internationally yet, and I'm not ready to travel domestically or internationally in a pod of one. The combination of pods and the size of ABD's trips just aren't appealing to me this year.
So I've been looking at other companies to see what's out there to travel domestically on the "shoulder" season, and I came across a trip by Classic Journeys to Bryce, Zion, Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Currently, there are 8 people on the trip. The woman I spoke with thought it *might* get up to 12. And she seemed very apologetic when she said there was a teeny-tiny chance it could get as high as 18. I like those numbers. I haven't been to Bryce or Zion since I was a kid, and I've actually never been to New Mexico, so I'm really looking forward to that!
I've been such a hermit for the last 14 months, so it was really hard to pull the trigger on this trip, but I finally managed to book it! Now I'm exploring options for pre- and post-days. Totally not sure about flights yet. But I'm making plans! And while it's still a little scary (and I'm not sure why -- I'm fully vaccinated!) I'm glad I did it. I'll let you guys know how it goes with this company. (It's the same company @aggiedog traveled with to Morocco recently.)
I’m with you. If I travel at all this year, it will be in the US. I only have a trip to Hawaii planned for the end of the year. I’m still holding out hope that we can travel safely internationally next year and have two international trips(1 ABD and 1 non-ABD) planned. However, if things haven’t improved I will definitely cancel them. My sister and I were just talking the other day about how irresponsible it would be to travel to a country where the government had issued a due not travel warning. Having worked for the federal government, she pointed out to me that it wasn’t a matter of whether you could enter the country but more so a matter of whether the embassy would come to your aid if something happened since they had already told you it wasn’t safe to travel.