• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT- Post here if your received $100 Govt Cheque!

My youngest turned 6 in June. Just my luck....

Is there a list available of what activities "count" for the children’s fitness tax credit? Nova Scotia has one as well and I had to go running around in the Spring to get receipts because it was put into effect halfway through the year. It mght affect what I put them in this year.

M.

maddiel said:
My youngest turned 6 in June. Just my luck....

Is there a list available of what activities "count" for the children’s fitness tax credit? Nova Scotia has one as well and I had to go running around in the Spring to get receipts because it was put into effect halfway through the year. It mght affect what I put them in this year.

M.

The physical activity credit is supposed to be effective Jan 2007. I don't think they have an "official" list yet. They are supposed to be consulting with fitness experts to determine what should qualify.

DD takes ballet, but who knows whether that will be included or not.

mommytodarlings said:
The physical activity credit is supposed to be effective Jan 2007. I don't think they have an "official" list yet. They are supposed to be consulting with fitness experts to determine what should qualify.

DD takes ballet, but who knows whether that will be included or not.

Thanks! With the NS credit, dd6's pre-school ballet was counted because it was through the city's recreation program. The NS credit is based on only $150 per kid, so it was pretty easy to use it up!

M.

mommytodarlings said:
The UCCB is for children under 6. There is a supplement on the CCTB for children under 7, if you qualify for the UCCB(child under 6) then you will not receive the CCTB supplement. However, if your child is over 6, but under 7, you will still get this supplement.

We have a $60 decrease in our CCTB due to this. Our children are all under 6 so we get the UCCB and not the CCTB supplement.

I called the 1-800 number because I wanted to know if I qualified for the $500 + $1500 Education Bond. You qualify if you receive the CCTB supplement. Turns out I don't receive the supplement so I can't get the free education money. Anyhoo, the person I was speaking too at the call centre said they just found out the CCTB supplement wasn't included in the budget so it's being eliminated. My sister is a low-income family and she's also going to see a decrease in her total Child tax benefit under this new system.

mickeywho? said:
What's the activity amount? Is that something that you need to apply for? Is it based on your income? :confused3

Here's a link I found that explains everything. Clear as mud just like all other gov. things!! :lmao:
http://www.fin.gc.ca/budget06/pamph/pahelpe.htm

Children’s Fitness Tax Credit
Budget 2006 proposes to introduce, effective January 1, 2007, a tax credit to promote physical fitness among children. For each child under 16, the credit will be provided on up to $500 in eligible fees for programs of physical activity.

The Government will consult with a small group of experts in health and physical fitness to determine which programs should be eligible for the credit.

mousy_in_canada said:
The 1st payment will by cheque in the mail and then you can enrol in Direct deposit.. I was thinking it was coming with the CCTB today but it did not. I am watching my mail and hoping to get it on Friday before I leave.
anyone get it today?

I got our CCTB through direct deposit as usual, but I haven't gotten anything else. I'm glad to hear that the first cheque is coming by mail because I was wondering. I assumed it would be tacked on to the CCTB and when it wasn't I was a little worried.

I got my CCTB in the mail yesterday (which was reduced, BTW) and the UCCB today. Between the $100 from the UCCB and the $41 from the CCTB, it covers one week of daycare. :rolleyes:

BitsnBearsMom said:
Do you know if it if for "six and under" or just "under six"?

My understanding is it is UNDER 6 - my ds' turned 6yo in Jan of this year so we don't qualify - and to make matters worse my CTB was cut in half this year! Oh well.... won't complain about dh pay increases that caused it!!

As for the activity amount - I do believe I read that it will be linked with your income tax returns if I read it all right!

Yep ... this is my life too. I was pregnant with DS when the gov't announced the 1 year mat leave ... to start in Jan of the FOLLOWING year. :mad: And now they've introduced this and DS just turned 6 in March. :furious:

And my CCTB was cut as well, and as I read the little leaflet that came with it, it said something about a child turning 6 having an effect on this amount. Whatever ... :rolleyes:

MaryLiz

For the 2005 income tax returns, here in NS we were allowed a deduction of $150 per child who were registered in an approved organized sport, physical recreation, or physical activity program.

The Nova Scotia Government website under the Health Promotion and Detection area posted a list of all the registered organizations. If you had receipts from any of these organizations you could use up to $150 as a deduction per child.

Both of my daughters Gymnastics Club and Horse Riding Facility were listed so we were allowed to deduct $300.

Here is the 2006 list so far: http://www.gov.ns.ca/hpp/HealthyLivingIncentiveEligibility.html

Hope that helps.

RainbowsMist - I work for Gov. NS and if I recall correctly, an amendment made it into the budget that ups the 'active' deduction a little bit higher for each of the next few years.

NOW MY RANT.

I was almost able to stop myself from posting in this form, but my self control isn't that great.

This is exactly what others have stated, an election ploy. How can you obtain universal day care on $5/day? Providing permanent affordable spots would, giving the money to parents doesn't create new spots so you still have a waitlist problem. Also, a friend of mine has her DD in daycare and that location is just going to up the cost per month to 'make sure' the money gets spent on daycare! :rotfl2:

This government has a hint of the Bush Administration, give everyone a little money and see if the keep their mouths shut. You know how that's working out for their national budget!

CJM

I agree the UCCB is not enough to pay for your daycare, but I also believe that as a stay-at-home parent, I should be recognized as well.

Yes, it is our choice for me to stay home and we are lucky that dh makes enough for me to able to, but along with staying home comes some sacrifice too.

As it is now, we pay more $$ in taxes than a dual income family making the same family income. I think this is something that should be addressed. Speaking taxation wise, why should it be better for dh to take a lower paying job and me go back to work. It seems ridiculous. Why should we pay more tax because we have 1 person, say making $70,000 as opposed to 2 people making a combined income of $70,000. Then that couple also gets to write off their daycare expenses.

It doesn't make sense, IMHO, you should be taxed on the "family" income and not as individuals.

mommytodarlings said:
I agree the UCCB is not enough to pay for your daycare, but I also believe that as a stay-at-home parent, I should be recognized as well.

Yes, it is our choice for me to stay home and we are lucky that dh makes enough for me to able to, but along with staying home comes some sacrifice too.

As it is now, we pay more $$ in taxes than a dual income family making the same family income. I think this is something that should be addressed. Speaking taxation wise, why should it be better for dh to take a lower paying job and me go back to work. It seems ridiculous. Why should we pay more tax because we have 1 person, say making $70,000 as opposed to 2 people making a combined income of $70,000. Then that couple also gets to write off their daycare expenses.

It doesn't make sense, IMHO, you should be taxed on the "family" income and not as individuals.

ITA::yes:: ::yes::

The concept of "income splitting" has been around a long time, and is still ignored by government.

Paying a *small* percentage of Canadians a very *small* amount, and getting lots of good press for it = smart political move....she says *with tongue firmly tucked in cheek*

JMHO, YMMV

:sunny:

:sad1:

My CCTB was reduced as well just recieved through direct into my account but went for mail and no $100 cheque. Still waiting for this and hope I get. My son is under 6 but my daughter is just 6 now so I guess won't get for her.

Next WDW trip: Feb or March 2007 POR HOPEFULLY!!!! :grouphug:

Oh. I am sooo happy to get this news!! We've been waiting for this. My 2nd daughter was born this month, and I really want to stay home with them, so this is really going to help!

maryliz said:
Yep ... this is my life too. I was pregnant with DS when the gov't announced the 1 year mat leave ... to start in Jan of the FOLLOWING year. :mad: And now they've introduced this and DS just turned 6 in March. :furious:

And my CCTB was cut as well, and as I read the little leaflet that came with it, it said something about a child turning 6 having an effect on this amount. Whatever ... :rolleyes:

MaryLiz

MaryLiz & Bitsnbearsmom, I know how you feel. Same situation happened to us.

I feel I have to voice my opionion on the goverments decision for sending cheques out for child care. Persaonlly I dont agree with it, yes I feel that it is important for parents to be able to stay at home with your children. My DS in now 14. I stayed at home with him for 5 years and didn't get any help from the government. We managed with quite a few cut backs to our budget. Know that he is older I am now able to work full time. However recently the government raised income tax July 1st, was this to cover the child care cheques? I am happy for everyone that is getting it, but at what cost to the rest of the Canadians.

Every government program, whether well intentioned or simply politically motivated, is going to cost money. I don't believe this change in child care policy represents a net change in terms of cost; its more of a reallocation of the dollars budgeted towards child care. In fact, some critics have argued that the Conservatives are now spending less net dollars on child care.

For as long as I can remember, governments just plowed the money into the daycare system - the new policy, I believe, recognizes that this "one size fits all" type solution doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't cut funding off for daycare spots, but it does, for the first time, give those of us outside the "universal" daycare system a little bit of breathing room.

mommytodarlings said:

You are thinking the same as I am. I was a general accountant and we thought it would be best for our children to be cared for by one of us. Not someone else. Sure Organized child care has its place, but more parents should be encouraged to stay home and raise their own children. This might be just a small incentive. As for tax breaks. :rotfl2: Stay at home parents get burned. At tax time I actually get very frustrated by this. BUt, I knew this when we made the decision for me to stay home.

tribus121 said:
ours came in the mail today

Mine too! It was nice to see some of my hard earned money being sent back to me! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter