OT- Post here if your received $100 Govt Cheque!

Well it arrived today 200.00 bucks so I can't complain plus we get to claim the kids activities on our taxes now to so even better hockey and gymnastics and tumbling and all those other things add up LOL.

NikP said:
You are thinking the same as I am. I was a general accountant and we thought it would be best for our children to be cared for by one of us. Not someone else. Sure Organized child care has its place, but more parents should be encouraged to stay home and raise their own children. This might be just a small incentive. As for tax breaks. :rotfl2: Stay at home parents get burned. At tax time I actually get very frustrated by this. BUt, I knew this when we made the decision for me to stay home.

We both work but still get around the daycare issue. We just work opposite shifts teh wife works 7-2 and I work 3-11 so I am home with the kids in the day then she is home with them at night. No daycare costs and no loss of income it works great. I remember before this arrangement daycare costs were over 800 a month after subsidy paid it's share.

F4disneyfan said:
We both work but still get around the daycare issue. We just work opposite shifts teh wife works 7-2 and I work 3-11 so I am home with the kids in the day then she is home with them at night. No daycare costs and no loss of income it works great. I remember before this arrangement daycare costs were over 800 a month after subsidy paid it's share.

Same thing here only I work 3-11 and DH works 7-3, but we work at the same place so we can switch the kids at the punch clock ;) .

I did recieve a cheque today for it. I thought since my income tax goes direct deposit that this would too but I guess I must fill out my bank info.

got mine today too...now if I was a responsible parent, I would put it right into his RESP and get the governments 20% on top of the money they just sent me...maybe this way we'll be able to actually afford the post-secondary education that will likely cost $10k a term by the time he gets there!!! :lmao:

Got ours yesterday in the mail. It will cover my sons nursery school fees. How many Mickey Bars will $100.00 buy? He really doesn't need nursery school that bad anyways.............. :lmao:

Rob (Snowwhite's DH)

connorsmom911 said:
got mine today too...now if I was a responsible parent, I would put it right into his RESP and get the governments 20% on top of the money they just sent me...maybe this way we'll be able to actually afford the post-secondary education that will likely cost $10k a term by the time he gets there!!! :lmao:

Ours is going into the kids Disney fund for all 3 of them to split so they are going to have about 1200 bucks to share between the 3 of them for spending money for Dec. We may just give them each 150.00 out of it and save some for next years trip as it will get knocked down to 100.00 after next May.

Ours is going into the kids Disney fund for all 3 of them to split so they are going to have about 1200 bucks to share between the 3 of them for spending money for Dec. We may just give them each 150.00 out of it and save some for next years trip as it will get knocked down to 100.00 after next May.

I suppose I will get flamed for this opinion but here goes. I have a problem with a government who just gives out money to everyone. Some people do not need the money as much as others. If we are going to have government funded programs (that comes from our tax money), I want it to go to people in need. There are many children suffering in inadequate day care arangements or parents who can not get a job because of lack of child care.
Yes it is nice your kids will have a 1200.00 fund to spend at Disney but should that come from taxpayers? We need money spent to HELP Canadian families.

diz karen said:
I suppose I will get flamed for this opinion but here goes. I have a problem with a government who just gives out money to everyone. Some people do not need the money as much as others. If we are going to have government funded programs (that comes from our tax money), I want it to go to people in need. There are many children suffering in inadequate day care arangements or parents who can not get a job because of lack of child care.
Yes it is nice your kids will have a 1200.00 fund to spend at Disney but should that come from taxpayers? We need money spent to HELP Canadian families.

I won't flame you for it; F4s post plays right into the infamous "popcorn and beer" criticism of the program. Having said that, F4 still incurs childcare expenses - if he chooses to take the $100 and use it to reduce them or put it towards some other fund, that's up to him. Bottom line - he still has to pay for childcare.

With respect to money going to people in need, I also agree. However, most Canadian taxpayers do not support "means testing" - e.g. why does Ken Thomson (probably the richest person in Canada) get "free" medicare?

Got mine today and will not debate about it :thumbsup2

Marilynn

diz karen said:

No offence taken DizKaren you are right but for years we struggled to pay for adequate daycare for our kids while we both worked in the daytime. We sent the kids to Tutor Time it was a more school type atmosphere like Montesori and it cost us 800 a month after subsidy paid part of it. I know how you feel about the people in need but I to am a taxpayer and support many programs I may never see a penny from but I really don't care because the money is supporting Canadians.

I got mine today too :thumbsup2

I'm glad I am getting this ... I never get much of anything, because we apparently have TOO much (or make too much) ... if I have so much why do I have five bucks left in my bank account until Thursday??? We aren't fancy people, don't do fancy trips, drive ordinary cars, work ordinary jobs, have our kids in average activities, are frugal with what we buy and we still struggle. This isn't a freebie ... I will be taxed for it in the long run ...

Oh and as for those who NEED it ... totally agree there are MANY who need it, but for what I have seen working in the bank and now the school system, there are sooooo many who live off the system. They get an income tax refund (yet don't work), have every phone and television bell and whistle you can imagine, drive better cars than I do, pay a couple of hundred dollars in rent in brand new apartment buildings, get child tax credits, .. etc, etc. Now I do live in a city that has a higher per capita number of people who live on social assistance, so maybe I just see too much of it. For many that is because this is how they were raised and they then continue the same cycle. Many a young girl has a baby to have a "meal ticket" as they see it. It is a shame as it is only the little ones who are suffering here.

At the end of the month while working at the bank, without fail, they would all be lined up waiting to get into the bank at precisely 9 am. Some of them cleared $2000 a month (not including their CTC). Many withdrew the majority of that money, aside from paying their phone and cable bills. Amazing how many of them had huge phone bills ... endless long distance, call display, call answering, call waiting, etc, same for cable ... many pay per view, extra movie channels, etc. If you walked around with 1500 in your pocket in cash, wouldn't you spend it fairly fast??? It was just so frustrating to think that - They made more in a month than I did working :confused3 ... Had all of these fancy phone and tv things that we couldn't afford to have!

If there were people who truly needed it, who made some effort to get ahead in their lives and get more education or actually work - fine - but there are TOO many who make this a lifestyle and it is very frustrating!!! And don't get me wrong, social assistance is there to help those who need it short term, but not from the beginning of adulthood until the day you die. That is what is sucking the system dry ... not the people who truly need it, like the average joe!!

Ok ... maybe that was a bit of a rant, but it just irks me how many people in my city are like this ...

Kerri

:cool1:

I got mine yesterday and am glad but they'll get me come income tax time and take most of it away.

KerriMc said:
Ok ... maybe that was a bit of a rant, but it just irks me how many people in my city are like this ...

Kerri

I hear you! I totally support social programs and assistance for those who truly need it long-term like those with disabilities or seniors and I support it for short-term situations to get people back on their feet but I'm so sick and tired of people popping out babies every x amount of years so they don't get cut off and lose their cheque. I have a family member who llives off of assistance and it's insane what they get! Free clothes for the kids, free food vouchers and free food at the food bank, free furniture when they moved, more free furniture with each successive child, free registration in all kinds of activities for the kids, really high CTB payments and now Universal Child Care payments and to top it off a "free" cheque every month. This family has cell phones, cable, internet, the works...and they can afford to smoke too! :furious:

They feel entitled because they both get to stay at home and raise the kids. The gov't "owes" them since they're choosing to stay at home. Well isn't that nice! :sad2:

There is really no incentive for these people to work since they would be financially worse off. Anyway, that's my own rant. Every April, when I do my income taxes and see how much I've paid...I think, well there, I've just supported so and so's family all year! :rolleyes:

Sandy22 said:
Every April, when I do my income taxes and see how much I've paid...I think, well there, I've just supported so and so's family all year! :rolleyes:

Sometimes it makes me wonder why I work! I remember when I was a teen, I grew up in a small town with a high social assisstance rate and I was a cashier in a grocery store and the families would come through to buy their "food" and cash their cheque at the end of the month, you'd think they'd buy stuff like laundry detergent, shampoo and soap because they were dirty, but nooooooooooo, it was $100 of doritos and pepsi! :confused3

Please pay me to sit on my duff and eat junk!

I do have some advice through for the people who are receiving this childcare cheque... don't get all ansy to spend it just yet... you have no idea how much of that cheque is going to be taxed come April, so put it in an account, collect some interest, so you're not too surprised at the end of it all... that's just what I would do...

Well, I finally got my cheque today. :cool1: I will gladly take it. We may not be living on poverty row, but every little bit helps.

Got mine. I am using it to pay my son's playschool fees which ironically are 100 bucks a month. I hope to see them follow through on tax credits for SAHM.

Got ours in the mail the other day ...

However ....

We only got it for our eldest daughter (4yrs old) and there was no mention of our 1 year old daughter.

Have been unable to get through to anyone on the phone # ... Try again tomorrow ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter