OT Passport for a newborn

At this point, I will tell you that it's time to contact the passport agency for answers, rather than relying on an internet message board and friends :)

It's probably time to stop listening to internet friends who suggest a passport is even necessary.

If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

I already posted this, a direct quote from the customs website.

The issue is if a newborn should be taking a long trip. Should review that with their doctor and not internet friends. This is the kind of trip which can be cancelled with short notice, if necessary.

The other issue is what kind of consent is needed from the father. A letter signed and notarized from the father is what's needed. A lot easier then not listing the father on the BC and claiming she doesn't know who the father is. That explanation sure sounds like a mother taking a child without the consent of the father.

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS NEEDLESSLY COMPLICATED. BC and gov't photo ID for anyone over 15. BC for any child 15 and younger. Hospital issued BC for a newborn.

Notarized letter from the father giving permission to leave the country.

Passports cover the possibility of having to fly home, due to an emergency. Not really applicable. They'd be flying from Buffalo.

If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

But will the Canadian governement accept it? My guess is "yes", but I'd check with the country I'm trying not enter (as well as the country I'm trying to return to).

But will the Canadian governement accept it? My guess is "yes", but I'd check with the country I'm trying not enter (as well as the country I'm trying to return to).

US citizens don't need a VISA to visit Canada. What they need is proof they have whatever requirements are necessary to comply with US requirements for reentry back in to the United States.

I'd be more concerned with having permission of the father.

It's probably time to stop listening to internet friends who suggest a passport is even necessary.

The issue is if a newborn should be taking a long trip. Should review that with their doctor and not internet friends. This is the kind of trip which can be cancelled with short notice, if necessary.

The other issue is what kind of consent is needed from the father. A letter signed and notarized from the father is what's needed. A lot easier then not listing the father on the BC and claiming she doesn't know who the father is. That explanation sure sounds like a mother taking a child without the consent of the father.

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS NEEDLESSLY COMPLICATED. BC and gov't photo ID for anyone over 15. BC for any child 15 and younger. Hospital issued BC for a newborn.

Notarized letter from the father giving permission to leave the country.

Passports cover the possibility of having to fly home, due to an emergency. Not really applicable. They'd be flying from Buffalo.

When I worked at the a birthing center we did not issue certificates parents had to wait for the official ones.

Denise in MI

When I worked at the a birthing center we did not issue certificates parents had to wait for the official ones.

Denise in MI

Good call. I'm mystified by this hospital certificate thing. I've heard of people getting them in years past, but we certainly didn't get one for DS, I don't have one for me, and so on.

OP your friend needs to figure out if she has sole custody or not, she needs to contact her local registrar's office to find out the ETA on a birth certificate once baby is here, basically she needs to be figuring this out. She is the one who has all the info, and she almost certainly would be the best at figuring this all out, rather than you getting the info while getting piecemeal info from her.

there's the state dept website, there are both US and Canada websites on what's needed to get through, etc etc, the info is out there for her. So it's now up to her to figure out her situation and go from there.

Denise in MI

That may be but I don't see anyway you'll be able to get a passport without an official birth certificate.

Generally speaking....not being on a birth certificate does not mean that the father is disregarded as being the father for the purposes of issuing a passport.

This is a unique/special situation and the person in question really needs to contact the U.S. Department of State for direction regarding their situation.

Best Advice on here.

Passport or not, There can be issues when only ONE parent attempts to take a child out of the country. Due to the 'kidnapping' possiblity the family could be stopped. I would think some research besides "The Dis" needs to occur. (Really do you want to tell the border partrol an internet message board said "it's OK" LOL!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter