OT - Need help with diapers and wipes

It's been a long time since I needed diapers, but I didn't use coupons often. They weren't worthwhile for diapers: store brand diapers were less expensive than name-brand, even with a coupon.

The best deal I found was a person who'd deliver second-quality diapers by the case right to my house. The cases were of mixed-type diapers: I'd have some Pampers, some Luvs, some store brand all together. Often the pretty little design was off-center; a few diapers from each case were missing sticky tabs (I'd save them for night-time use, and tape them shut). This deal was about 2/3 the cost of store-brand diapers.

I found little difference in diaper quality. Luvs and the store-brand with Muppet babies were actually my favorites.

MrsPete said:
It's been a long time since I needed diapers, but I didn't use coupons often. They weren't worthwhile for diapers: store brand diapers were less expensive than name-brand, even with a coupon.

The best deal I found was a person who'd deliver second-quality diapers by the case right to my house. The cases were of mixed-type diapers: I'd have some Pampers, some Luvs, some store brand all together. Often the pretty little design was off-center; a few diapers from each case were missing sticky tabs (I'd save them for night-time use, and tape them shut). This deal was about 2/3 the cost of store-brand diapers.

I found little difference in diaper quality. Luvs and the store-brand with Muppet babies were actually my favorites.

WOW! WOW! WOWWY! :earseek:

Any chance you still have some contact info? :flower3:

I like pampers too. If you have a Babies R Us near you sign up for their fliers. They have store coupons for pampers and then they also accept the manufacturers coupons.

I also love Pampers diapers - the Swaddlers when DS was smaller and now the Cruisers in the larger sizes.

Personally, and not to insult anyone on these boards since we've all heard some great money saving ideas, if she requested Pampers Swaddlers, it would be nice if you got her Pampers Swaddlers and not a store or generic brand. I've used store brand and most of the time they are fine, but I do see a difference in the Quality and leakage protection of the Pampers product over some of the other brands especially during the overnight hours.
Also, the packages may seem huge (70 size 1-2 diapers) however a baby that small can go through 8 diapers in one day!

Good luck and what you're doing is very nice for that family by the way!

Thanks again, everyone! Just to clarify a bit, the parents haven't specifically requested these particular diapers and wipes. We just had a friend find out FOR us what brands of diapers and wipes they were using. And this is what we were told (Pampers swaddlers diapers and Pampers sensitive wipes). There are reasons these are working better for them than other brands, but I don't have all those details, and the reasons really didn't matter to us, we just wanted to get what they were using.

Most of these donations are being done annonymously, donations being left at the church for them, etc. If people don't want to donate, that is fine. If they do, great. Me, being a frugal, budget board addict. just felt I needed to be sure I was getting a good deal.

Thanks again!!

I have switched to sensitive wipes because DS was a little sensitive to the other regular kind. However, be aware that almost all store brands usually carry a "sensitive" line, that compares to Pamper's sensitive. We have used both and I see no difference.

I ditto that store brands are the absolute best finds. Especially when they go on sale. That is STOCK-UP time. However, if Pamper's is what they really want/need, I shop at Jewel (Albertson's). I often get $3.00 coupons when I buy diapers with the Jewel preferred card. Last week, Pamper's were on sale for $8.74 and with $3.00 off they were indeed cheaper than store brand.

Also, be aware that Jumbo packs are usually the smallest packs I find in the store. The "jumbo" pack I bought for $8.74 contained 30ish diapers (although we are in size 5). I don't think there is a smaller pack.

One footnote to all of this is that Pamper's is the one brand that actually irritates DS's skin. Oh well!

Good luck and how nice of you to be so helpful!

I didn't see that anyone mentioned this, but you can go to the Pampers website and register the child. When you do this Pampers will send coupons directly to you and they are usually in larger denominations than the ones from the Sunday paper. These may be $4 or $5 off coupons. If you purchase the diapers or wipes at Babies-R-Us, or Toys-R-Us, you can also use their coupons (again register on the Babies-R-Us website). So if BRU has a coupon for $5 off their large jumbo box of diapers, you can also use the Pampers coupon for a total savings of $10 p/box. I was shocked when they let me use both coupons, but they have always accepted both.

ReneeQ said:
Thanks again, everyone! Just to clarify a bit, the parents haven't specifically requested these particular diapers and wipes. We just had a friend find out FOR us what brands of diapers and wipes they were using. And this is what we were told (Pampers swaddlers diapers and Pampers sensitive wipes). There are reasons these are working better for them than other brands, but I don't have all those details, and the reasons really didn't matter to us, we just wanted to get what they were using.

Most of these donations are being done annonymously, donations being left at the church for them, etc. If people don't want to donate, that is fine. If they do, great. Me, being a frugal, budget board addict. just felt I needed to be sure I was getting a good deal.

Thanks again!!

Many times new parents buy one brand, find it works, and just never switch. Sometimes they just don't want to take a chance and buy a different brand and find they don't like it as much and feel like they are wasting their money, So, they reach for the more expensive brand that they are use to.

By all means, try to stick to the brand they do use. But my advice is to at the very least, throw in one pack of EVERY brand of diapers that you can find! This way the new parents can TRY out all the different brands out there without investing any of their money in this "experiment."

They might find a much cheaper brand out there that they like just as much or even better than the one brand they are using! If they later switch to that cheaper brand after using all the donated diapers, you have just helped them save lots of money in the long run.

Also remember to vary the sizes in the donated diapers. Babies do outgrow diaper sizes eventually. But it is different with each child.

DD#1 wore diapers up until she was well into 3 years old. She needed them for her bowel movements and some times at night. She was into the size 6's. DD#2 was out of diapers a little after 2 years old. She was barely into size 4. I wound up giving away all the size 4 & 5s I had pre-bought, as well as any 6s that I had left over from DD#1.

I believe size 3s and 4s go the longest way?

Good luck with the diaper shopping. So glad I'm through with all that! Lol!!

babiesX2 said:
WOW! WOW! WOWWY! :earseek:

Any chance you still have some contact info? :flower3:
No, I'm no longer in contact with the woman who sold then, nor do I know her source. She had a good deal going though: she had two sets of twins 3 years apart (all boys -- can you imagine!), and she stayed home with them. Her customers could call and leave a message on her answering machine during the week ("Please leave me a case of size 3s and a case of wipes."), and she made her deliveries on Fridays. Once you were an established customer, you could leave a check in an envelope on your door, and she'd leave the box on the porch for you.

The cheapest diapers I ever had, delivered right to my door. Couldn't beat that deal with a stick.

MrsPete said:
No, I'm no longer in contact with the woman who sold then, nor do I know her source. She had a good deal going though: she had two sets of twins 3 years apart (all boys -- can you imagine!), and she stayed home with them. Her customers could call and leave a message on her answering machine during the week ("Please leave me a case of size 3s and a case of wipes."), and she made her deliveries on Fridays. Once you were an established customer, you could leave a check in an envelope on your door, and she'd leave the box on the porch for you.

The cheapest diapers I ever had, delivered right to my door. Couldn't beat that deal with a stick.
So it was a local thing anyway. I'm always looking for a way to cut our diaper costs even more. I wish I had back all that extra money I wasted on name brand diapers. :sad2:

Our NICU nurses told us about a family with 3 sets of twins! One day I met them out in the courtyard between the hospital and the physicians' office tower. Lucky ducks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter