OT - I just got fired!

TashaRVT

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... what do
"You're just not fitting in to where we want the team at <blank> to be right now."

HUH??? I've been there for 3 years, and all of a sudden I'm not fitting in? That's all they would tell me. Gave me a nice kiss-off package of 8 weeks severance and "continuation of benefits" and offered to write me a "really great" reference letter. Excuse me, but if I suck enough for you to fire me, why would you offer to write me a reference letter? :confused3:confused3

I've grown extremely close to several of the people there, and feel lonely and isolated from them. I feel like I've lost a family; worst of all, the pervasive feeling is "you suck" and "we don't WANT you."

Everyone keeps telling me to take a couple of weeks off until I start looking for another clinic. What do you all think?

Wow Tasha, I remember you being such a professional caring person when I brought my westie MacKenzie in, I'm shocked they would let you go :scared1:

Are there new owners or management at the clinic?

It's their loss, just look at this as an opportunity to find yourself a new job where you will be appreciated.

I understand about the missing of collegues, I had to leave my previous job suddenly due to a medical emergency in my family that needed my full-time attention.

I am now living in Delhi, Ontario (between Simcoe and Tillsonburg) in South Western Ontario, so I won't be seeing you anytime soon, but I wish you all the best for the future :goodvibes

I remember that very same feeling. Imagine a 31 yr old guy, 6'5" tall, happy go lucky, being given the boot 16 years ago. I ended up turning that former employer into my first customer and have been self-employed ever since. DW is home now with the 3 kids. I love the lifestyle now!
Keep your options open is all I'm saying. Don't give up.
BEst of success!

:grouphug: So sorry. I hope another door opens for you soon. It's their loss.

I am now living in Delhi, Ontario (between Simcoe and Tillsonburg) in South Western Ontario, so I won't be seeing you anytime soon, but I wish you all the best for the future :goodvibes

Thank you your kind words, Carol - feeling pretty much like I've just been kicked in the gut, so they really do mean alot to me. The really difficult thing about finding another job is finding a clinic where I'm comfortable and confident the medicine being practiced is excellent. And ethical - that means alot to me; I don't want to work somewhere that provides crappy medicine OR has questionable ethics!

I've been wondering about sweet little MacKenzie, and I wasn't aware that you'd moved. How's his skin doing?
It's nice to hear from you!

It would be best to seek an employment lawyer. You likely got the minimum amount payable under employment law. It is possible you could get money for counselling services, retraining etc. Your ex-employer would also likely have to pay your legal fees. Most employers will settle out of court and give you what you want to avoid the additional legal fee costs. You might not relize the full emotional toll something like this can have on your life. Best of luck.

:hug:

You don't suck. They didn't fire you "for cause." They let you go because you don't fit in to some beancounter's vision of your work unit... which may even mean they let you go because you were TOO GOOD at your job!

You don't suck, but being let go from a job unexpectedly does suck.

My DH went through this last year after 7yrs with his company. They also gave him a real nice letter and he too was pissed about it. But let me say, in retospect, that real nice letter really helped him secure his current position. It actually helped.
So keep your head up and hang in there...:wizard:

I've been there too....my situation was a lot different but I know the feeling.

My BFF just lost her job in Feb and she's pregnant. Too bad she hadn't told them yet.....she was planning to do it within the following 2-3 weeks. She's really in a bad spot because she is a downtown corporate type so who's going to hire you when you're only going to be there for a few months and then go on mat leave.

Anyway, the majority of us go through this at some point and for sure it really sucks but it is what it is. Something bigger and better will come along....everything happens for a reason.

When dh and I both lost our jobs in 2009 it was a real blow...layoff and company buyout. We now own our own business and are happier than ever. The best advice to get you through tough times like this is network...network...network!!!:surfweb:

Hang in there... it will get better! I was part of a massive layoff in 2007, and I was so stressed out! Two weeks later I got a new job that almost doubled my salary. Almost 4 years later and I'm making close to 3 times my salary and much happier overall (the money is just a bonus). So just think... this could be a blessing in disguise!

Either way, sending you some (((hugs))). :grouphug:

Thank you so much for your kind words and hugs everyone. This week's been discouraging and difficult, but I'm trying to keep my head up!

I have an interview at a hospital next week, so I'm hoping that it works out to be a good fit, and all goes well. Drives me crazy to be home all day - so boring!
It's crazy, since I was home FT with my kids when they were little (they're 12 and 9 now) and never got bored at all! They needed me alot more then, and of course, at the ages of 3 and 5, they were pretty much open to doing anything - everything was exciting!

Now I have to listen to, "I don't wanna do that.... that's boring." Makes me want to rip my hair out! :scared1::scared1::scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter