OT: Frustrated about pedophile out west

As a Canadian ...I would be shamed to see our country with the list of countries that have a death penalty.

I will continue to search for a more comprehensive list...but my recollection is that there is not one country considered to be part of the Western Civilization except the US that has the death penalty.

Take from Amnesty International....
4. Death sentences and executions
During 2005, at least 2,148 people were executed in 22 countries and at least 5.186 people were sentenced to death in 53 countries. These were only minimum figures; the true figures were certainly higher.

In 2005, 94 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the USA.

Based on public reports available, Amnesty International estimated that at least 1,770 people were executed in China during the year, although the true figures were believed to be much higher. A Chinese legal expert was recently quoted as stating the figure for executions is approximately 8,000 based on information from local officials and judges, but official national statistics on the application of the death penalty remained classified as a state secret.

Iran executed at least 94 people, and Saudi Arabia at least 86. There were 60 executions in the USA.

The total figure for those currently condemned to death and awaiting execution is difficult to access, although human rights researcher Mark Warren has estimated the number at between 19,474 and 24,546. These figures are based on information from human rights groups, media reports and the limited official figures available. Again, the true total is probably higher.

5. Methods of execution
Executions have been carried out by the following methods since 2000:

- Beheading (in Saudi Arabia, Iraq)
- Electrocution (in USA)
- Hanging (in Egypt, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Pakistan, Singapore and other countries)
- Lethal injection (in China, Guatemala, Philippines, Thailand, USA)
- Shooting (in Belarus, China, Somalia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam and other countries)
- Stoning (in Afghanistan, Iran)

We always asssociate ourselves with the victims and think that if this happened to my child, my mother/father, my wife/husband then I would support the death penalty...but these victims of these judicial system could have been your loved one...and collateral damage is not acceptable in a society that is to be considered humaine

Also from Amnesty International

. Execution of the innocent
As long as the death penalty is maintained, the risk of executing the innocent can never be eliminated.

Since 1973, 123 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. There were six such cases in 2004, two in 2005 and one so far in 2006. Some prisoners had come close to execution after spending many years under sentence of death. Recurring features in their cases include prosecutorial or police misconduct; the use of unreliable witness testimony, physical evidence, or confessions; and inadequate defence representation. Other US prisoners have gone to their deaths despite serious doubts over their guilt. The state of Florida has the highest number of exonerations: 22.

The Phillipeans is the last country to abolish the death penalty in June of 2006. The number now stands at 87 which has grown from 17 in 1977.

Do people really think that this is a possibility to move backwards when it comes to Human Rights?

Okay I'll get off my soap box right now..until someone decides that the 14 year old boy, Jordon Bruyere deserves to die because as of yet no charges have been laid against Whitmore regarding this child...which suggests to me that he has some involvement in the abduction of the 10 yr old child, Zachary Miller.

edited...Whitmore charged with 2 counts of sexual assault against both boys. Also news reporting conflicting stories about the family consenting that Jordon was with this man..and being upset that no Amber Alert was issued when he disappeared on July 22nd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter