Orange Lake....will never return

I just want to make the point that you need to understand the type of accommodations before you book. Timeshares are different than hotels. If you book a low rate due to agreeing to sit through the presentation then, yes, you need to go or you will get charged. If you don't want to sit through it, don't book that deal. Again, timeshares don't have maid service and don't stock the amenities such as soap, laundry detergent unless you pay extra for it. That is what timeshares are. Personally, I love timeshares. I can make my own bed and put my own dishes in the dishwasher. We bring the little trial size things of laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent. I know a few people that own at OL and they love it. I own at Westgate and don't have a problem with it. But, I also understand what a timeshare is.

I agree with the other poster that said she would have taken her car to a car wash herself instead of letting the egg chip the paint off. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to waste a day just waiting around. What would have happened if this occured at a supermarket or other place? They are not responsible. Does it put a damper on the vacation, absolutely. But, I would have gone to a car wash and moved on with my vacation.

We have stayed 4-5 times at Orange Lake and always had a great experience. We always have a two bedroom. I would never book studio accommodations there as it does say in all their literature they are inside rooms. Please keep in mind that people are very likely to report bad experiences, but most people will not take the time to post about good experiences.

I would never spend a full week in a hotel room. Way too small. It is great to have lots or room to spread out, multiple TVs, multiple bathrooms, and a kitchen that we really only use sparingly (but love a full size refrigerator). I also only book rooms that have a washer or dryer in them.

To the OP, I am sorry about your car and your bad experience. I would have taken pictures of the car and immedidately gone to wash it to get the egg off. I also would have called Orange Lake Security and reported the problem and then gone on with my vacation. Unfortunately this is kids being stupid and not properly supervised. It could have happened anywhere and has to me in front of my own home. I hope you still had some good times on your vacation.

I would not hesitate to stay at Orange Lake again and I would not cross it off of my list because of one or two negative posts.

Sorry that it happened to you. We didn't enjoy OL either. We found many of the other people who stayed there at the time, to be very badly behaved and rude. It doesn't surprise me that someone egged your car!

Here is my review from 2005:

We checked into Orange Lake County Club (OLCC) on August 27th. We were told by RCI as well as several OLCC employees that rooms assignments were made right before check-in but request are honored based upon availability. We were lied to!!!!!
We were assigned one of the oldest units in the place. When we requested a newer village, we were told that they were reserved for owners only. If you are going there on an exchange beware.
After several requests we were moved to a recently refurbished unit in the Tennis villas (still part of the older west village complex). It was simply okay. The bathroom needed much improvement. The new coat of paint did not cover up the mildew and grime in the shower.
The West Village Clubhouse was dirty and the bathrooms were gross. At one point I needed to complain about the bathrooms because not a single stall was usable and the response was "not again"! The North Village side was a little nicer.
Besides being lied to, our biggest objection to OLCC is the people who stay there. They are rough, rude and ill-mannered. It has the same ambience as a New York subway. If you are getting away for a little quiet relaxation this may not be for you. If you like crowds and a lot going on around you, you may enjoy it. We stayed at Summer Bay the week before and really enjoyed it. I would never stay at OLCC again.

Stayed August 2005

We have stayed 4-5 times at Orange Lake and always had a great experience. We always have a two bedroom. I would never book studio accommodations there as it does say in all their literature they are inside rooms. Please keep in mind that people are very likely to report bad experiences, but most people will not take the time to post about good experiences.

I would never spend a full week in a hotel room. Way too small. It is great to have lots or room to spread out, multiple TVs, multiple bathrooms, and a kitchen that we really only use sparingly (but love a full size refrigerator). I also only book rooms that have a washer or dryer in them.

To the OP, I am sorry about your car and your bad experience. I would have taken pictures of the car and immedidately gone to wash it to get the egg off. I also would have called Orange Lake Security and reported the problem and then gone on with my vacation. Unfortunately this is kids being stupid and not properly supervised. It could have happened anywhere and has to me in front of my own home. I hope you still had some good times on your vacation.

I would not hesitate to stay at Orange Lake again and I would not cross it off of my list because of one or two negative posts.

Sorry that it happened to you. We didn't enjoy OL either. We found many of the other people who stayed there at the time, to be very badly behaved and rude. It doesn't surprise me that someone egged your car!

Here is my review from 2005:

We checked into Orange Lake County Club (OLCC) on August 27th. We were told by RCI as well as several OLCC employees that rooms assignments were made right before check-in but request are honored based upon availability. We were lied to!!!!!
We were assigned one of the oldest units in the place. When we requested a newer village, we were told that they were reserved for owners only. If you are going there on an exchange beware.
After several requests we were moved to a recently refurbished unit in the Tennis villas (still part of the older west village complex). It was simply okay. The bathroom needed much improvement. The new coat of paint did not cover up the mildew and grime in the shower.
The West Village Clubhouse was dirty and the bathrooms were gross. At one point I needed to complain about the bathrooms because not a single stall was usable and the response was "not again"! The North Village side was a little nicer.
Besides being lied to, our biggest objection to OLCC is the people who stay there. They are rough, rude and ill-mannered. It has the same ambience as a New York subway. If you are getting away for a little quiet relaxation this may not be for you. If you like crowds and a lot going on around you, you may enjoy it. We stayed at Summer Bay the week before and really enjoyed it. I would never stay at OLCC again.

Stayed August 2005

See..two totally different reviews. I, myself, like to stay somewhere first before I make up my mind. Please note that review was from 6 years ago. A lot can change in 6 years. I really don't see how the lack of parental supervision can be the fault of the establishment. I feel the same way when I stay at the value resorts at WDW but others love it. Opinions can be subjective. It is important to read the reviews and really ask; is this something the establishment has control over? As far as newer units being reserved for owners; I would assume that. I think owners should be special treatment. I do not own there but I have no problem with that line of thinking.

See..two totally different reviews. I, myself, like to stay somewhere first before I make up my mind. Please note that review was from 6 years ago. A lot can change in 6 years. I really don't see how the lack of parental supervision can be the fault of the establishment. I feel the same way when I stay at the value resorts at WDW but others love it. Opinions can be subjective. It is important to read the reviews and really ask; is this something the establishment has control over? As far as newer units being reserved for owners; I would assume that. I think owners should be special treatment. I do not own there but I have no problem with that line of thinking.

I completely agree. I just found it funny that it doesn't seem like it changed in 6 years! We have stayed at Hilton@Seaworld and I-drive, Silver Lake, Summer Bay and Orange Lake in Orlando and OL is the only place we encountered this type of behavior.

As for owners getting the better room, I understand that as well. We made several calls, one being 10 minutes before check-in. (We were staying at Summer Bay and ready to leave) I called to see if we could check-in early so we wouldn't be homeless all day and they told me that. In 10 minutes, policy changed! Overall, wasn't a good experience for us. Out of all the places we've stayed, both in Orlando and out, this is the only place that we weren't happy with at all.

Like anywhere, there will be varying opinions. The only way to know is stay there for yourself. I was just letting the OP know that I understood their frustration!

This is the car girl....first off...the egg did not chip my car....it was the person from orange lake who cleaned it.. also it was a brand new car at the time..and I was so mad cause it sat the whole night and morning...it already did its damage......second of all if security was riding around...they would of caught the kids doing it...but no...no security...or not enough..

Now onto this...I am giving it one more time....considering we have been there enough times... We are going Nov. 21- to Nov 29...and I will post the good and the bad...

Suzy, good luck with your next visit and just so you know, Egg will not hurt your car's paint. I've worked on cars (body) for 25 years. The Egg shell can actually damage the finish when the car is hit with an egg, it will make bust marks in the finish, similar to if you hit the car with small rocks/sand like you see from driving on the highway. There are some substances that will damage the finish after prolonged exposure such as tree sap and bird poop but raw egg is not one of them. You would still want it off of there because it doesn't look good and is a mess but once on, it won't hurt anything more with the paint. One less thing to stress about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter