Opinions! Does It Still Make Sense To Buy? (Resale)

If your staying in one bedrooms you will probably have an easier time of sleeping around during a lot of the year. Fall Frenzy could be a issue, but other than that, you got a shot.

HAHA, sleep around. That made me giggle. We ALWAYS go January/February. We don't like the heat. Silly Canadians ;)

You need to keep in mind the length of the contract when purchasing resale. For the older WDW resorts, OKW, BWV, BRV, and BCV the contracts end January 31, 2042 (HHI and VB also expire the same date and some extended or newer OKW contracts expire in 2057) SSR in 2054, AKV in 2057, BLT in 2060, VGF in 2064, the Poly 2066, CCV in 2068. So you are easily talking about another 20+ years for other resorts. So in paying the same price or higher for one of the original resorts as you do BLT is it really worth it since you have less years to use the contract?

I think as Canadians, where we are paying an extra 30+%, the advice of “buy where you don’t mind staying” might be more sound.
Good advice. We’ve owned since 2008–AKV and SSR. We’ve managed to stay at just about every property—not BCV, but only because we love BWV so much and BCV doesn’t have a community hall, which is a huge selling feature for us. I would never consider even buying BCV without the Community Hall. Probably a strange and rare requirement, but there it is.

You need to keep in mind the length of the contract when purchasing resale. For the older WDW resorts, OKW, BWV, BRV, and BCV the contracts end January 31, 2042 (HHI and VB also expire the same date and some extended or newer OKW contracts expire in 2057) SSR in 2054, AKV in 2057, BLT in 2060, VGF in 2064, the Poly 2066, CCV in 2068. So you are easily talking about another 20+ years for other resorts. So in paying the same price or higher for one of the original resorts as you do BLT is it really worth it since you have less years to use the contract?
The answer is no, unless you really just want one of those specific Epcot resorts.

HAHA, sleep around. That made me giggle. We ALWAYS go January/February. We don't like the heat. Silly Canadians ;)

I don't like the heat either. But I HATE the cold in the winter, so I can't win either way. I bought 3 BCV resale contracts so we can escape the cold, then get in the big pool when it gets too hot. :D

I'd still buy the same if I were in the market today. You can't beat the location and amenities.

So, I did some math a while ago. Somebody mentioned it here and looked like they used Canadian dollar amounts.

But here’s the thing.
If you rent out your points, then use that money to rent points at the resort you want to stay at (whether it’s the new resorts or your Epcot area ones to get the 11 month window), it’s probably your best bet of getting those resorts. Significantly cheaper than buying direct, because you’re still using your points (though not at a 1-to-1 conversion, keep that in mind). What I found is that it’s not a good value to rent out points then pay cash price for the room—you’d be using more points to pay cash than to rent points!

So to me, buying resale is still worth it because it’s still an option.

As for wanting to stay at Epcot and the buy where you want to stay argument. I don’t know. I’m of the camp where some resorts seem more interesting to me, but I want to try them all. So I’d personally say be open to staying anywhere, and maybe in any type of room. At the end of the day, points are points, wherever your contract is, and other than the 11 month home resort window, there’s literally no difference. If money’s an issue, I’d just buy for the points and either try to budget my points to get to the resort I want or start trying new resorts.

BWV and BCV have the least to worry about relative to new resorts and O14. If you want to stay at BWV or BCV, owning there is necessary already, and will only get worse. Their value will be 0 in 2042. But you'll still be ahead of cash pricing or rental pricing.
It would just say I do disagree that owning is necessary to stay at BWV or BCV. Both have excellent 1 bed availibility at least, and good all round availibility (relatively speaking) for studios in off season. Want a studio October to early Jan then yes, I agree.

This discussion has been super helpful. I think we're strongly leaning towards a resale contract for Animal Kingdom. Longer contract and cheaper price. We do like to hop around, so ultimately we'd be happy staying at nearly any Deluxe Resort on-site.

But if it comes down to not being able to buy at all or buying somewhere more affordable, THEN what? AK is nearly half the price resale as beach club and has a longer deed...

My mantra - buy where you don't mind staying. And if you plan to stay onsite vs off and are happy anywhere onsite then it gives you great flexibility to examine all the angles and purchase what is hopefully the most economical.

My mantra - buy where you don't mind staying. And if you plan to stay onsite vs off and are happy anywhere onsite then it gives you great flexibility to examine all the angles and purchase what is hopefully the most economical.

We did off-site ONCE at WDW. Never again. It completely ruined the experience for us. If I'm staying off-site it's because I'm not going to Disney and exploring other areas of Florida. But I'd still rather stay on-site and explore other areas of Florida ;)

It would just say I do disagree that owning is necessary to stay at BWV or BCV. Both have excellent 1 bed availibility at least, and good all round availibility (relatively speaking) for studios in off season. Want a studio October to early Jan then yes, I agree.

Agreed. We sold our BCV and we still stay there. Both 1BR's and 2BR's. I'm very, very flexible in the timing of our stays though. Yes it can be done and no it can't be counted on. :) BWV 1BR's more than BCV but we own at BWV (that's what I sold BCV for).

This discussion has been super helpful. I think we're strongly leaning towards a resale contract for Animal Kingdom. Longer contract and cheaper price. We do like to hop around, so ultimately we'd be happy staying at nearly any Deluxe Resort on-site.

Plus AKL gives you a shot at the value studios which are IMO one of the best deals going in DVC.

Agreed. We sold our BCV and we still stay there. Both 1BR's and 2BR's. I'm very, very flexible in the timing of our stays though. Yes it can be done and no it can't be counted on. :) BWV 1BR's more than BCV but we own at BWV (that's what I sold BCV for).

Can I ask what you liked more about Board Walk? That's where we're booked next trip and usually do Beach Club.

We did off-site ONCE at WDW. Never again. It completely ruined the experience for us. If I'm staying off-site it's because I'm not going to Disney and exploring other areas of Florida. But I'd still rather stay on-site and explore other areas of Florida ;)

It's been quite awhile since we stayed offsite and while we didn't have quite the same reaction to it we do far prefer onsite. So we own DVC! As I mentioned as long as you buy some place that you're ok staying at if you can't switch to another location you should be good. And waitlists do work. People are constantly changing their trips so you never know exactly what might open up even if it weren't there to switch to at 7 months. There are things we like about every single DVC resort and are ok with all of them. We do have our favorites but we also like to switch it up and move around.

Can I ask what you liked more about Board Walk? That's where we're booked next trip and usually do Beach Club.

I like that 2 theme parks are easily walkable from that location. We've walked to DHS from BCV but it's a distance and using the boat at BCV has always had issues for us for some reason. I like the pools at BCV but don't like that getting to them requires going thru the lobby or else a good walk around and that the slide access is across the Crescent Lake walkway. So we most often use the quiet pool and BWV has a good one with the community hall right there. The Community hall is also a plus for BWV - we would stop by for a quick game of air hockey or something like that. And the main pool has a slide that is more fun than BCV IMO. BCV's slide looks impressive but it was a yawn for us when doing it. BWV also was designed to be a main component of the resort and not an add on - it just feels more included. For whatever reason it's an intangible for me that I like. :) There's better view possibilities at BWV with the Boardwalk view rooms and it has the low point standard view rooms vs BCV with neither view nor standard view. Also BWV has the GV option which BCV does not. A plus for BCV is having dedicated 2BR's. 2BR's at BWV are a bit of a pain because they are all lockoffs. When the BC Marketplace declined in their offerings the QS option became less of a difference for us and we like the BW Bakery and don't mind walking to it.

My parents bought OKW in 1995 immediately following a similar experience. "Lou's Route 9 Bus" was the straw that broke the camel's back on staying off site! :laughing:

We debated where to buy for a long time and ultimately settled on AKL. We have stayed there once and did enjoy it. Even though our favourite is BCV, we do want to try out lots of different resorts with our contract. We have an offer in that’s currently in ROFR...fingers crossed it goes through. The CDN exchange rate adds a whole other dimension... if it was still at PAR I might consider Poly. But either way resale (for us) is the only way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter