Onward to TDR! March 2019 Exercise Thread

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the March 2019 Exercise Thread!! Last month we visited Disneyland Paris, and we're just not ready to go back home yet, so this month we're continuing our travels halfway around the world to Tokyo. As we post our exercise minutes, we'll take a virtual trip to Tokyo Disney Resort (TDR). The best part is, it's a virtual tour, so money and time don't really matter!

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back, and if you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes toward that goal as they exercise. (You can post daily or just catch up when you can.) You decide what movement counts towards your goal, which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since March has 31 days, here are some common conversions:
15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. This month's colors are based on the Duffy & Friends craze that took off at TDR (and now has spread to Hong Kong Disneyland and Aulani Resort in Hawaii).

10% - 'Olu Blue
25% - Cookie Orange
50% - StellaLou Purple
75% - Gelatoni Pink
90% - ShellieMay Red
100% - Duffy the Disney Bear Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on March 1, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Team Members:

BonnieF - 1100/1000
Elizabeth Smith - 800/800

MikeNamez - 960/1400
Minkishly - 80/350
piglet1979 - 1283/1395
PollyannaMom - 500/500
redlight - 180/180
sophy1996 - 1435/1400
Twilight Sparkle - 2340/1860

Total: 8678/8885 97.6%

Last edited:
In case you aren't familiar with Duffy the Disney Bear and his friends (the inspiration for March's color designations), here's an article from Disney Tourist Blog about them.

In a nutshell, Duffy was introduced in the U.S. parks as The Disney Bear, but he wasn't very popular. Not so in Japan. TDR gave him a backstory (he's Mickey's teddy bear, made by Minnie to keep him company on the high seas and placed in Mickey's duffel bag, hence the name Duffy) and a home (Cape Cod area of The American Waterfront in Tokyo DisneySea park) and Japan went wild. He's about as popular at TDR as Mickey Mouse.

Duffy currently has five friends. Three were introduced at Tokyo DisneySea, but the two introduced last year reside in Hong Kong Disneyland (Cookie the dog) and Aulani Resort in Hawaii ('Olu the sea turtle).

My favorite thing about Duffy is that people dress him and his friends up and take pictures of them at the parks. TDR installed special fold-up shelves at "Duffy Photo Points" (you pull down the shelf and set Duffy on it to take his photo) to help keep people from propping him up all over and damaging the landscaping. The article linked above has a picture of a Duffy Photo Point and some wonderful pictures of Duffy costumes (including Star Wars outfits!).

Last edited:

I'm in for 1860. Thanks so much for hosting! So happy we're heading to Tokyo!

In case you aren't familiar with Duffy the Disney Bear and his friends (the inspiration for March's color designations), here's an article from Disney Tourist Blog about them.

In a nutshell, Duffy was introduced in the U.S. parks as The Disney Bear, but he wasn't very popular. Not so in Japan. TDR gave him a backstory (he's Mickey's teddy bear, made by Minnie to keep him company on the high seas and placed in Mickey's duffel bag, hence the name Duffy) and a home (Cape Cod area of The American Waterfront in Tokyo DisneySea park) and Japan went wild. He's about as popular at TDR as Mickey Mouse.

Duffy currently has five friends. Three were introduced at Tokyo DisneySea, but the two introduced last year reside in Hong Kong Disneyland (Cookie the dog) and Aulani Resort in Hawaii ('Olu the sea turtle).

My favorite thing about Duffy is that people dress him and his friends up and take pictures of them at the parks. TDR installed special fold-up shelves at "Duffy Photo Points" (you pull down the shelf and set Duffy on it to take his photo) to help keep people from propping him up all over and damaging the landscaping. The article linked above has a picture of a Duffy Photo Point and some wonderful pictures of Duffy costumes (including Star Wars outfits!).

Love this! I wasn't a big Duffy fan before, but I appreciate him much more knowing this.

I'm going to be ambitious and up my goal to 800 this month. Since I have gotten a new stationary bike to exercise at home, I think it will make it easier to get in minutes AND upping my goal will keep me motivated to use it.

I'm really looking forward to this tour of TDR because it's the biggest item on my real life Disney bucket list. I really like the idea of Duffy too. He reminds me of Figment in that he's a character designed specifically for a theme park, but unlike Figment he's easy on the eyes and not majorly annoying. (No offense, Figment-lovers). And I am actually kind of glad that he is more specific to the Asian parks because it just makes him and his friends all the more special!!!

Welcome to the Tokyo Disney Resort! TDR actually is in the city of Urayasu in the Chiba prefecture, which is just east of Tokyo proper. Whether we took the bus shuttle directly from the airport to the resort (which is what I'm hoping to do), or braved the Tokyo subway system and made our way to JR Mahaima Station (likely passing through one of the world's busiest subway stations, Tokyo Station), we're going to have a great visit.

To get us oriented, here are some maps of TDR. There are two theme parks--Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea--and four official hotels--Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta, Disney Ambassador Hotel, and Tokyo Disney Celebration Hotel. And there is a version of Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, called Ikspiari. All of these except the Celebration Hotel are located within a monorail loop that will transport us from one to the other.

Since money isn't an obstacle with this trip, I suggest we spend a few nights at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and a few nights at the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel Mira Costa. The Disneyland Hotel is located just outside the gates of Disneyland park, and the Hotel Mira Costa is located inside DisneySea park!

Let's start out at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

First, let's choose our rooms. There are an awful lot of choices! Besides standard rooms, there are character rooms (Tinkerbell, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty & the Beast, and Cinderella). Or maybe a Turret room? Or heck, let's just skip to the Magic Kingdom Suite and the Walt Disney Suite.

Here's a nice brief video showing a Grand Park View room.

It seems like all the rooms come with the awesome Japanese automated toilets, slippers, Disneyland hotel toiletries, and even pajamas!

30-minute walk yesterday. And then 100 minutes today - walking around The Venetian and Caeser's Palace in Las Vegas! A one-day trip to meet up with DH who was finishing up a conference. I took the first flight this morning, we had a nice morning, lunch, and early afternoon, and then we both flew back home to arrive in the middle of a snowstorm. A whirlwind day.

130/1400

Last edited:
80 minutes today - walking and horses

180/1860

I'm a sucker for characters, so I plan to split my stay at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel between a Tinkerbell alcove room and a Beauty and the Beast room.

Sounds like a fun trip to Vegas, sophy1996!

BonnieF, I'm about to be right there with you in the cold. We're supposed to drop to 19 tomorrow. Brrr!

55 minutes yesterday - mostly due to two rounds of shoveling. 70/500

Out of the character rooms, I really like the Cinderella one. princess:

But, since this is a fantasy trip money-wise, I agree we might as well go for the Walt Disney Suite!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!