Onsite "magic" vs offsite savings and space

have you looked at Fort Wilderness Cabins at WDW? Won't be as affordable as offsite condo but may fit your budget to stay onsite.

i have done offsite (1x in 1984) and onsite (6x since 2000). we very much prefer onsite and "feel the magic" but we also don't have 5 people to accomodate, just 4.

We just got back this past weekend from a 10 day offsite stay. This our third trip to Disney with children, and I can honestly say, that as long as the kids are going with we are staying offsite. If you plan your park days properly I feel you will get enough Disney Magic so the fact that you are not on proerty 24/7 should not be an issue.
This trip we stayed at Summer Bay using our timeshare exchange. While the actual drive took a little bit of time each day, I think the fact that we had large well appointed condos and great on site facilities far outweighed the drive time.

We feel a lot of the same way. What I find interesting though, is those that say they won't give offsite a chance because they HAVE kids. This is probably the BIGGEST reason we stay offsite........room for the kids. (better price is icing on the cake)

And at Summer Bay, you had a longer drive than any of the offsite places we've stayed, and you still feel it was worth it. Interesting........:confused3

Skyw: the big downside to a large group offsite is that transportation has to be a little bit more "organized". You'll only have so many vehicles, and each only has so many seats, so if you want to split up four ways, or only two people want to sleep in, things get tricky.

You are right. I can see the grandparents wanting to go first,then us and finally the 20 year olds that can do commando park all day. A good point.

for a bunch of different ages of people - also recommend onsite. WDW transportation is easy and for a large group where some want to go their own way - it is much easier than having to drive everyone around.

my brother loves WDW - but on a trip a few years ago - going with 4 teens. He had to drive them all over. finally offer to drive them so he could do the parks. they stay offsite because of their dog. It is a very, very nice doggie so understand - still miss my Spicey.

Yeah, I could see myself driving everyone and going nuts. I really didn't think about this aspect.

a really old thread! We are planning our offsite trip and since I am obsessed...LOL...:rotfl: I need to keep telling myself that we are making the right decision....so I have been reading threads like this over...and over...again! :)

a really old thread! We are planning our offsite trip and since I am obsessed...LOL...:rotfl: I need to keep telling myself that we are making the right decision....so I have been reading threads like this over...and over...again! :)

u are making the right decision..we have gont to DW many times..always offsite..except me and my wife once..for our 15 yr weddinganniversary...we have always stayed at offsite..always buy things for the kids to make it look onsite..disney toys decor etc...but the best is bonnet creek..which is on disney property..w/o the Disney prices,half mile from epcot..got view of illuminations at night on our balcony..it is awesome for $80 a nite for a 2 bd cant beat it..But wherever you choose SPACE outweighs any onsite advantages..for 2 its great but a family of 4 ...no way will a cramped room do...

No worries about your offsite trip! I think no matter where you stay, you can't go wrong. Let's face it, you are going to Disney!!!

I've stayed onsite many times and I"ve stayed offsite (mostly in timeshares) many times as well. To me, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Staying onsite is more convenient to get to the parks and you can book dining plan for meals. Staying offsite will give you more room and your own space which some families need to survive a week in the Happiest Place on Earth!

Staying onsite versus offsite is a personal decision for your family but I can tell you that each and every one of my trips has been "magical". Each time we go, I love to stay someplace different and that makes the trip new/exciting right from the start. When planning meals, I try to go to one or two of our favorite restaurants but also go someplace we have not been in awhile or someplace new. To me, it makes each trip unique and fun.

Have fun and enjoy planning your trip!

u are making the right decision..we have gont to DW many times..always offsite..except me and my wife once..for our 15 yr weddinganniversary...we have always stayed at offsite..always buy things for the kids to make it look onsite..disney toys decor etc...but the best is bonnet creek..which is on disney property..w/o the Disney prices,half mile from epcot..got view of illuminations at night on our balcony..it is awesome for $80 a nite for a 2 bd cant beat it..But wherever you choose SPACE outweighs any onsite advantages..for 2 its great but a family of 4 ...no way will a cramped room do...

We are staying at Bonnet Creek this time and really looking forward to it..last time we stayed at Windsor hills..enjoyed it...like having a splash pool..but this time I want more of a resort feel! :)

We are not getting it for $80 a night though! Wish we were! ;)

We are staying at Bonnet Creek this time and really looking forward to it..last time we stayed at Windsor hills..enjoyed it...like having a splash pool..but this time I want more of a resort feel! :)

We are not getting it for $80 a night though! Wish we were! ;)
i dont know when you are going..we got that rate in mid november..slow season..and thru vacationstrategy.com..great people to work with

We stayed at Bonnet Creek last year the week before Easter....I absolutely loved the resort. It's the one offsite resort that makes you feel like you are staying onsite. It's right next door to Carribean Beach Resort......

We booked through Vacation Upgrades and they have been great to work with...we got quoted the $120/night..that is during their "value period"....which I am fine with.

I keep on telling myself that it is pretty much "onsite"...Its surrounded by Disney Property and depending on the view (I've check youtube and people have taken videos of their view) you can see Disney!:banana:...I'm actually shocked that Disney doesn't own that property...but..if they did..we wouldn't be able to afford it!:thumbsup2

I'm wondering if the OP was happy with their decsion??? Hello...are you out there?:surfweb:

Not the OP, but we have stayed at both. For us with 3 kids, we prefer the off-site for the extra space and additional baths.

One thing - if you have AAA, I recommend buying your park pass thru AAA and requesting the Diamond Pass for parking. It is the BEST! Especially at Epcot.

They only time we will consider staying on-site is when they run the free meal deals.

I'm sure you'll be happy.

Thank you! I agree about the AAA Diamond pass! We used it last time and it was a time saver! :) I am getting so excited! :):cool1:

Do you have to book a package with AAA to get the diamond parking pass or can you just get it by being a member of AAA?

When we got the parking pass...we didn't buy a package...just the tickets...I'm thinking that you can walk in with your membership and get the pass...not 100% sure.

It is a complimentary pass that you get when you are a AAA member. It DOES NOT GIVE YOU FREE PARKING though. Basically when you enter the parking lot..you show an attendant your pass and follow the "diamonds" on the pavement ( I think they are blue?) Basically it allows you to park next to the handicapped parking. If I remember correctly..there are blackout dates and the spots can fill rather quickly (especially Animal Kingdom). From what I can remember it allows you to bypass the tram (because you don't have to park way out:thumbsup2)...So it can save you an extra step! Its worth a try if you are a AAA member...:thumbsup2

It is a complimentary pass that you get when you are a AAA member. It DOES NOT GIVE YOU FREE PARKING though. Basically when you enter the parking lot..you show an attendant your pass and follow the "diamonds" on the pavement ( I think they are blue?) Basically it allows you to park next to the handicapped parking. If I remember correctly..there are blackout dates and the spots can fill rather quickly (especially Animal Kingdom). From what I can remember it allows you to bypass the tram (because you don't have to park way out:thumbsup2)...So it can save you an extra step! Its worth a try if you are a AAA member...:thumbsup2

Thank you!!! :woohoo:

When we got the parking pass...we didn't buy a package...just the tickets...I'm thinking that you can walk in with your membership and get the pass...not 100% sure.

Thanks...we already have our tickets and will be staying offsite so I wondered if we could just get the diamond pass after joining AAA. We will be there for 2 weeks and were thinking of joining AAA anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter