Onsite "magic" vs offsite savings and space

hey brian brought way back there - paid $57.50 for mind - and believe me got my money out long, long ago....:happytv:

of course if I buy CR - BLT - it would be new sales and would start over. just not sure especially when the boss says the prices were too low. that is just scarey.

would love a DVC resort on the monrail - just not certain how much would want to pay for this thing.

oh the others which have gotten my money out of too

bwv - $62.75 * 50 points
VWL - $72 * 60 points

have 240 oKW @ $57.50 per point

estimate on BLT
$110 to $125 per point.... more than twice what I paid for OKW.:eek: :scared1:

so definitely don't know if it will be worth it.

but then again wishes from the cr....

Yes, folks who bought back in the day are sitting pretty. At $57.50 an OKW point carries a shade over $9, which is pretty good.

I think BLT is going to really depend on how many units get built and how many points they cost. I hear the maximum reallocation charts were pulled and are going to be more point-intensive. But, if the point costs are moderate, and there aren't too many units, there could be demand similar to BCV, which commands premium rental rates for the home resort period.

Unfortunately, the Mouse is one clever rat, and I suspect he has learned from selling BCV short. I'm expecting these units to have point charts with noticeably higher nightly costs.

oh I definitely expect the demand for CR to be HUGE.
1) first monrail DVC resort - also the first WDW resort ever (back in 1971)
2) you can walk to the MK - the only resort where you can do that.
so those nights when the buses, ferry, monrail are just overhelmed (been there and know it -spend 2 1/2 hours trying to get to the TTC parking lot) you can actually walk back to your room....

with the economy so bad - can see that happening again - when disney has to cut back on CM.
3) with the monrail you can get easy access to the MK and the other monrail resorts - polyn, gf - for entertainment, lounges, bars, restuarants, gift shops - with very little walking.

4)love CM - and being in the same place...:woohoo:

that is not my problem - it if can't afford won't do it.

did get BCV - then reconsider because of my finance.

if my fiances won't take it - no matter what the earning would get - just won't do it.

now will never be a millionarie with that attitude -also won't be bankrupty either...

I agree with you---it is an attractive location indeed. But, if the rooms cost too many points to book, that will push against demand, and prevent BLT owners from extracting a premium in rental rates.

We'll have to see what happens---as far as I know, the Maximum Reallocation charts haven't been re-filed with the state, so I don't know what the new levels are.

this is an interesting thread about timeshares. Sorry this is OT, but....what is BLT and what do you mean Disney sold BCV short. does it mean they could have charged more because it is such an in-demand resort?

and thanks Brian for those points. Makes sense now why some lose money on these (like my friend has.......she can't give it away).

this is an interesting thread about timeshares. Sorry this is OT, but....what is BLT and what do you mean Disney sold BCV short. does it mean they could have charged more because it is such an in-demand resort?

and thanks Brian for those points. Makes sense now why some lose money on these (like my friend has.......she can't give it away).

BLT = Bay Lake Towers?

or bacon, lettuce, and tomato ;)

that is why all timeshare owners should join tug.

www.tug2.net

It will help your friend to trade to places she will like. It also has charities that will take timeshares.

yea - madge is correct

blt - bay lake towers @ disney's contemporary resort - is the current name of maybe the DVC resort that Disney is building next to the CR.

(maybe because it has yet to be announced)

disney got a shock with BCV - most of the members when reselling their DVC points in the resale market - ask for less than they paid.

these members knew that BCV would sell no matter what they charged so instead of the $80 that DVC took (might have been $82 - but really think it was $80) - they sold them for $90 and more.

the price is still going up on BCV resales.

the first time DVC did not control the price. they definitely have control issues.

mostly DVC kepts the prices up by ROFR - right of first refusal - if you sell your DVC they have the right to buy it back for the price you are selling it.
so even if you wanted to sell it to a relative for $10 - DVC would buy instead - they have made exceptions but they are hard to get.

still can't believe that Disney is calling a 16 floor building a tower....

a tower should be at least 50 floors (my opinion)

Faye,
Just wanted to pop-in because I noticed you directed a timeshare question to Brain, Pat and I. I wasn't ignoring you. Had a system crash and dh has it back up and running (whew ! thought I lost everything !).

This is an interesting timeshare chat and it appears your questions have all been answered very well by Brian and Pat. I'm learning stuff myself here :thumbsup2

Thanks Pat. I knew of Club Intrawest, but I am such a dork that I didn't know there were any others. Now I will have to do some research to see where I can buy it cheap. A co-worker has had a timeshare at Mont Tremblant for years, through Club Intrawest, and I just remembered that she told me a few years ago that she had never used it. She uses it exclusively for trading so maybe I'm on to something here!

We went skiing in Mt. Tremblant in Feb 2007. It's one reason that my husband gave me BWV points. We all loved the quaint village and want to go back in 2009.

First time offsite here.

I missed out on DVC rental [bad timing on my part] but would have been more expensive than offsite [since we're family of 5 and have to do 1 BR]. I was so disappointed that I didn't plan right [thought 7 month not 11 month...big duh on my part].

But I still hope to do DVC some day [AKV or BCV or BWV].

Then I researched and researched and FELL IN LOVE with Bonnet Creek. Then DH changed the time from Fall break to June and prices there went WAY up comparable to DVC 1 bedroom although 7 nights instead of 5 and 2 instead of 1 bedrooms...

So I'm staying at WH. I'm excited and a little disappointed. LOL.

It's disney-themed, close to the clubhouse and THREE bedrooms for about $120 per night total.

So I'm thinking of branching out and hitting US/IOA.

I LOVED being onsite. We did 2 rooms @ POP first visit and LOVED it. Kids were little. We were first floor and walked right out to the quiet bowling pin pool.

And then the POLY was FANTASTIC. The monorail fantastic. Boat ride to the park...way cool....seeing the castle off in the distance....wow. The buses were not as convenient here to AK but not awful and DH didn't have to think about traffic, etc.

Our kids are younger and we just don't need all the space everyone talks about. Part of the fun is all being together IMHO. But then we're campers too. :rotfl:

TRANSPORTATION.

ME from the airport is GREAT! Totally puts you in the disney frame of mind.

DH loved not having to drive anywhere. Never waited long for buses and they drop you off at the front of the parks [don't you have to park wayyy out when you drive a car?]. NO gas to buy, no parking to pay for, no traffic, no hassles....

I absolutely LOVE Disney and would have come back sooner if I could...so I understand OP. It is the happiest place on earth!

BUT this trip I just couldn't get a good deal worked out and the place we could do [POR] I just couldn't imagine cramming us into.

We fit great in the POLY though...we don't mind all being in a room but normally don't stay more than 5 nights.

We did dining plan both previous visits and to be honest the snack thingy was a pain. Trying to maximize my bang for the buck was annoying [self inflicted but annoying]. DD #1 will be 10 this trip so wouldn't have worked out unless we paid her out of pocket.

So 7 nights will be nice to have space for hubby & I. Being able to drive will mean some good offsite restaurant choices and possible a day or 2 at another fun park. I'm excited to see the difference for myself so I can report on it.

And to be honest, I had to do it cheaper this time or not go, so I'd rather GO. I'm planning on breakfasts in condo and maybe a dinner but it's my vacation too...oh and we're driving too so no car rental.

There you go from an on-site fan...

Trish

Just want to add my voice here. I found this thread to be more balanced and sensible than past threads. I think reason is sinking in, over time.

It's hard to do apples-to-apples, and I find a strict apples-to-apples is often NOT as useful as a case-to-case comparison. For example, comparing onsite vs. offsite hotel-for-hotel or timeshare-for-DVC can still be biased for or against onsite.

The common cases I see:

1) Save money is highest priority - disney value or house rental. Thsi category correlates with larger family sizes, too. I favour the house rental because I allow some cooking, rather than eating out. If you're eating out a lot, go disney food plan of some kind.

2) Want all-inclusive disney immersion. Then go for it, nothing else will substitute. Or for the opposite (too much immersion) may necessitate the opposite.

3) Availability of car (for those driving to Orlando) or planning to rent a car anyway - this negates the value of ME or disney busses, favours offsite (duh).

4) Non-disney destinations (USF, IoA, SeaWorld, etc.) - may necessitate 3) above anyway.

Personally I prefer an offsite timeshare over a house rental for the better ammenities (better pools, stuff for the kids, etc.). I think a house would likely be cheaper, but I'm willing to pay that premium. We fall into categories 1) and 4) above. We save by doing some cooking, but we cheat there too - frozen chicken nuggets and fries for the kids are WAY cheaper from the grocer, and DW and I can get a take-home chicken Caesar for example. Prep time is almost negligible, and kids don't know the difference (they're in the pool anyway).

We went in April 2008 (offsite). We're planning a return in 2010 for Harry Potter land and Aquatica. Unless I can find the money for a 2009 trip (unlikely).

we have stayed off site maybe 2 times. one place sil and bil have timeshare so we stayed at Blue Tree. i loved it...conv. to restaurants , etc. we drove down that year. but my dh does not like to drive when we are at disney , so we stay on site. we have stayed at asmusic and movies at least 9 of our trips. we really like onsite, esp when dds were younger. i dont mind the food court either, my dd and friends always liked something . so either way , you still have a great time.

I think the majority of the people who want to be "immersed in the magic 24/7" are also not ever going to set foot in any of the other great attractions that Orlando has to offer.

We like Disney. We love Universal. I feel so sorry for all of the people who will never give the other parks or offsite accomodations a try. I really have to wonder why they are so myopic.

I guess I will just enjoy that I get to have great memories from these other parks, and outstanding accomodations at a fraction of the onsite cost, because millions of people who make the pilgrimage to the mecca that is Disney World won't give them a second thought.

I totally agree my family stays offsite because we like enjoy the different parks my DD16 and DS10 loves Universal and seaworld more than disney now that they're older so we are going to FL for 10 days but only spending 3 days at disney and we will be staying in 6br rental home with family, my kids are spoiled by having their own pool.

I am also trying to deside on on or off site accomadations. We are trying to house 14-16 people. Some older (70's) that may not appreciate all of the "disney stuff". Or some of the older and some of the younger may want to do something else. Bottom line...it is really the budget that it is influencing me. I think it might sell the family trip better if it is affordable to everyone.

We have stayed at Bonnet Creek twice, and overall it's so much better than even the nicest Disney Deluxes. The Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite is very luxurious with a great view of Epcot fireworks, plus a nice pool, mini golf, and all sorts of activities. The location, within the Disney gates and right next to CBR, is exceptional.

The only reason I might go for Swan/Dolphin, which I also love, or a monorail resort is if I only had a few days at WDW and didn't want to spend as much time dealing with the transportation.

Skyw: the big downside to a large group offsite is that transportation has to be a little bit more "organized". You'll only have so many vehicles, and each only has so many seats, so if you want to split up four ways, or only two people want to sleep in, things get tricky.

Skyw: the big downside to a large group offsite is that transportation has to be a little bit more "organized". You'll only have so many vehicles, and each only has so many seats, so if you want to split up four ways, or only two people want to sleep in, things get tricky.

A solution to this could be to utilize cabs. When we had this come up, we took Disney transportation from the park to the Disney resort nearest to our offsite accomodation and then easily picked up a cab to get the rest of the way. Cost was probably under $15 and well worth the flexibility. And even with an occasional $15 spent on cab, we'd still come out far ahead as far as price compared to staying onsite at Disney!

have you priced rental cars - you could probably win a bid on priceline for $15 bid for a rental car. (did the $15 include the tip)

for a bunch of different ages of people - also recommend onsite. WDW transportation is easy and for a large group where some want to go their own way - it is much easier than having to drive everyone around.

my brother loves WDW - but on a trip a few years ago - going with 4 teens. He had to drive them all over. finally offer to drive them so he could do the parks. they stay offsite because of their dog. It is a very, very nice doggie so understand - still miss my Spicey.

they did US/IOA which is really, really hard from Disney property. SeaWorld is definitely doable (their is a Lynx bus that stops at TTC at the MK that goes to SW).

but us/ioa is not.

so unless you have some people willing to drive everyone else - and not be disappointed - would definitely stay at WDW - if that is the only parks you are doing.

We just got back this past weekend from a 10 day offsite stay. This our third trip to Disney with children, and I can honestly say, that as long as the kids are going with we are staying offsite. If you plan your park days properly I feel you will get enough Disney Magic so the fact that you are not on proerty 24/7 should not be an issue.
This trip we stayed at Summer Bay using our timeshare exchange. While the actual drive took a little bit of time each day, I think the fact that we had large well appointed condos and great on site facilities far outweighed the drive time.

We rented a 4 bedroom pool home at Reunion Resort last year for 6 adults and 3 small children.....and we loved every moment. We were close enough to the parks that we came back every afternoon for naps and swimming. We ate at Disney table service restaurants almost every evening (sometimes without the kids thanks to Kid's night out). We were at a beautiful resort with every amenity we could want. And after a long day with the kids asleep what is better than sitting around the pool with your husband and friends, having a few cocktails and some adult time.

I think for us that is most important aspect of staying offsite with small children, adult time while the kids are sleeping. Nothing is worse then sitting in a dark hotel room while your child sleeps. Although this vacation is supposed to be for our children, we like to enjoy ourselves as well.

I also really appreciate being able to keep similar routines when staying in a home as opposed to a hotel. Also the ability to do laundry, which is normally not my favorite activity, is such a bonus when staying in a rental home. It means I can pack less and even come home with a suitcase of clean clothes (If I am so inclined).

For us the debate is not so much "onsite vs. offsite", it is hotel living as opposed to villa living. We have done villa vacations in other parts of the world and I don't think I would ever go back. We enjoy the freedom too much, perhaps once the kids are older we may reconsider, but for now it is our preferred vacation choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter