Online Dating

Me too! I've dealt with depression for over 20 years. Been on and off many drugs.
It's mild now but probably because I'm on something.
Here's my best tip-
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) has been my best choice over the years. It's the mildest of antidepressants, so doesn't do the most good for major depression, but the only
one I know of that you lose weight as a side effect!
No drowsiness, although, it can be hard to sleep in the beginning on it. It's a stimulant.
And it doesn't have sexual side effects either.
The weight gain and sexual side effects are both concerns with taking an antidepressant. I already need to lose weight, I don’t need anything making it harder or worse. To be quite frank one of the reasons I want to date is for sex. It would kind of defeat the purpose to be taking a medication to help with one issue only to create another.

The weight gain and sexual side effects are both concerns with taking an antidepressant. I already need to lose weight, I don’t need anything making it harder or worse. To be quite frank one of the reasons I want to date is for sex. It would kind of defeat the purpose to be taking a medication to help with one issue only to create another.
Ask about that one then for sure. :thumbsup2

I’ve struggled with mild depression for years and this has been a big trigger for me.
Have you sought counseling by any chance? CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) to begin with (though that doesn't mean medication is out as that is often used in combination) may help especially if you're connecting it with known triggers. I'm a big proponent of counseling and with telehealth it can be easier if you don't feel comfortable going to an actual office at the moment (and your health insurance covers it would be bonus) if going to an actual place isn't your cup of tea.

Your doctor is good for things but I'd personally want to start with the counseling or go back to it if you had done it previously.

Have you sought counseling by any chance? CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) to begin with (though that doesn't mean medication is out as that is often used in combination) may help especially if you're connecting it with known triggers. I'm a big proponent of counseling and with telehealth it can be easier if you don't feel comfortable going to an actual office at the moment (and your health insurance covers it would be bonus) if going to an actual place isn't your cup of tea.

Your doctor is good for things but I'd personally want to start with the counseling or go back to it if you had done it previously.

I have not been to counseling for myself. It is something I am still thinking about. If I am completely honest, I just want to stop crying over every little thing. I’ve always joked about being “emotional” and being a “crier” but I think it goes beyond that. I know it is not normal to cry as much as I do. Cry over little things. Cry when you are posting on the DIS about crying. I think I need the antidepressants in addition to (or maybe more than) any type of counseling or CBT. This is the summer of doing. So if counseling will truly help then it is something I am going to do. It was a BIG step for me to take to call the doctor to make an appointment to talk about the antidepressants.

I have already asked my employer for information on our EAP program that covers counseling services, in addition to many other things.

I have not been to counseling for myself. It is something I am still thinking about. If I am completely honest, I just want to stop crying over every little thing. I’ve always joked about being “emotional” and being a “crier” but I think it goes beyond that. I know it is not normal to cry as much as I do. Cry over little things. Cry when you are posting on the DIS about crying. I think I need the antidepressants in addition to (or maybe more than) any type of counseling or CBT. This is the summer of doing. So if counseling will truly help then it is something I am going to do. It was a BIG step for me to take to call the doctor to make an appointment to talk about the antidepressants.

I have already asked my employer for information on our EAP program that covers counseling services, in addition to many other things.
I'm liking your post because I think you have a lot of courage here especially taking that first step and to be honest with yourself not for the actual content. For the actual content I just want to use :grouphug:

I've done counseling several times, once when I was very young due to parents divorce (pretty standard to do that) and the other two times to try and mend the relationship with my father (in like 7th or 8th grade and again as a sophomore). Did it mend the relationship? No but I found it very helpful to me. In the end the best thing I could do for my mental health was to not have an active relationship with my father so that's what I've been doing for the past 16 years.

I do have days where I'm down, and the littlest thing gets me crying but bluntly that's related to my period. I hate the feeling and it's usually only a few days. I can't imagine feeling like that all the time so truly :hug: on that.

My sister was diagnosed with clinical depression when she graduated high school but had been dealing with it for several years prior (my parents ignored the warning signs, I did not) and did do counseling but was not honest with the counselor and really only did it to appease our parents so it wasn't helpful. She was put on Prozac but removed when it was causing high blood pressure issues. TBH I don't know what she was put on in place of that.

All this to say this pandemic has really pushed I think the public to realize we need better acceptance of when others are not doing well and we do as well when we're not doing well :flower3:

I have been taking a low dose of sertraline for some time now, and I have lost a significant amount of weight. I know it is an antidepressant, but they told me it would help with my anxiety that I seem to have a lot of. At the time I started I was really concerned with it causing weight gain, but it went in the right direction for me. I cannot say that it helped weight loss because at the same time I started the sertraline I also started seriously dedicating myself to regular exercise and cut out carbs.

In regards to the other part, for the first little while (I am guessing a couple months) I really had to work A LOT harder to let's say "reach the finish line". After a while though, things returned to normal.

I have been taking a low dose of sertraline for some time now, and I have lost a significant amount of weight. I know it is an antidepressant, but they told me it would help with my anxiety that I seem to have a lot of. At the time I started I was really concerned with it causing weight gain, but it went in the right direction for me. I cannot say that it helped weight loss because at the same time I started the sertraline I also started seriously dedicating myself to regular exercise and cut out carbs.

In regards to the other part, for the first little while (I am guessing a couple months) I really had to work A LOT harder to let's say "reach the finish line". After a while though, things returned to normal.

Looks like weight loss is considered a "side effect" of Sertaline but so are "sexual side effects" and low libido. I will definitely discuss my concerns with the doctor when I go in (not until 8/2).

In the mean time I am taking other steps to help my "mood." Exercising, eliminating (or reducing) alcohol, keeping busy, staying off POF.

Are you still taking the Wellbutrin? I ask because I looked it up and it says it was discontinued in the US.
Yes, but under the generic Bupropion. I take non manufactured dose of 450. Meaning they don't prescribe that much but I take a 300 and a 150 combined.
I decided for a bit that I didn't think it was working well enough and dropped off the 150 and took Zoloft (sertraline). I gained too much weight too quickly and slept a lot more.
I was hungry a lot. I couldn't take the weight gain, although not horrendous, anything in the wrong direction makes me more depressed as I was already over my happy weight from COVID gain.
I stopped and went back to the 450 and so glad I did. I have more energy and don't want to nap a lot. I think I just needed a jumpstart with the Bupropion again.
I've done this before.

I've been taking this off and on for probably 2 decades so no it's not discontinued unless it is for that brand name and not the generic.

I just looked up that info and it seems that some generics were taken off market. Not the one I'm on though. I had a different generic prescribed before and had horrible side effects.
I made my pharmacy only give me the one I was used to so maybe that other one was taken off?
:confused3

The generic I will only take is by Anchen

I want to say again, that Wellbutrin/Bupropion is not the best for major depression. Many Dr's I've been to say it's best for mild depression, but I just won't take the others (and over 25 years I've taken most other kinds except newer ones) but it's the only one I can live with.

Thank you.

I just think I a need "a little something" with as minimal side effects as possible.
Well, it works for me but might not be for everyone. Does cause some jitters:crazy: ( on 450 my hands are shaky enough that my handwriting sucks, but that's the least of my worries) but I have 3 work friends who have switched/started with this and were happy enough.
But....... I don't think (didn't ask) how depressed they were. I am not sure that they were severe enough with crying every day.
You'll just have to see what works for you.

Therapy- I loved it! Done that off and on for about 25 years also. Gave me a lot of insight about myself, especially with setting my dating prospects way too low!
But when I was severely depressed, crying, laying in bed all day, wishing I was dead (but never attempted suicide!), that was so long ago, but I know I wasn't doing the Bupropion back then.
I don't think I knew much about it then and fairly sure it wouldn't have been enough for that depression.

I came known to Bupropion when I quit smoking. I took it as Zyban back then and it was wonderful and made me quit ! :)

I want to say again, that Wellbutrin/Bupropion is not the best for major depression. Many Dr's I've been to say it's best for mild depression, but I just won't take the others (and over 25 years I've taken most other kinds except newer ones) but it's the only one I can live with.
Interesting, I also know it to be prescribed to help people quit smoking.

I have to say somethning else.

I really dislike marijuana. Did enough when I was a teen.
Still dislike it and don't do it.
But, when I had my worst depression, after my son's father died (we weren't together) , my then boyfriend didn't know how to handle it.
He actually go a bit pissed at me a few times and told me I should maybe smoke something.
Shockingly enough, it made me instantly less sad and I could laugh. I did that a few times enough to know it works.

I'm not advocating it as I really don't like drugs (except the ones the Dr gives me) but there is really something to that drug that I can see how it helps people.

Interesting, I also know it to be prescribed to help people quit smoking.
Yes, it was a miracle!

Also, Cymbalta made me stop one of my severe phobia house checking I did for years, within 3 days!
But it had side effects I hated. Can't remember all them now. But whoa, when I quit that one, the severe migraines and brain blips made me vow
to never do that one again. Other people like it.

OK, now we're the depression drug thread instead of online dating..... how did we get to this? :scratchin :rotfl2:

I have to say somethning else.

I really dislike marijuana. Did enough when I was a teen.
Still dislike it and don't do it.
But, when I had my worst depression, after my son's father died (we weren't together) , my then boyfriend didn't know how to handle it.
He actually go a bit pissed at me a few times and told me I should maybe smoke something.
Shockingly enough, it made me instantly less sad and I could laugh. I did that a few times enough to know it works.

I'm not advocating it as I really don't like drugs (except the ones the Dr gives me) but there is really something to that drug that I can see how it helps people.
There are plenty of Drs prescribing marijuana for medicinal reasons now :) possibly not where you are depending on geography though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter