One more ? -- TSA 3 oz rule -- does it apply to deodorant?

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
Let's say stick deodorant. What about those Dishwasher tablets? Same with like Tide Pods? We usually check luggage, but are going with just carry ons this trip so I need to be prepared.

THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!!

Go read the TSA web site, it's pretty clear. But the general rule is that if the substance cannot hold its shape at room temperature then it is a "liquid". That's why people freeze grapes to keep some things cold because ice is a no-no.

Go read the TSA web site, it's pretty clear. But the general rule is that if the substance cannot hold its shape at room temperature then it is a "liquid". That's why people freeze grapes to keep some things cold because ice is a no-no.

Not true. Ice packs are permitted as long as they are frozen solid.

Thanks! I did go to the TSA website and maybe I didn't read it closely enough but I didn't see those answers :)

Appreciate the replies!!

Not true. Ice packs are permitted as long as they are frozen solid.

I stand corrected. Here is the info at tsa.gov:

"Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements."

I stand corrected. Her is the info at tsa.gov:

"Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements."
So... what they're saying is a person can bring frozen hydrochloric acid, provided it remain frozen throughout the screening.

That's the TSA keeping us safe.

So... what they're saying is a person can bring frozen hydrochloric acid, provided it remain frozen throughout the screening.

That's the TSA keeping us safe.

Of course, you'll need to find something that gets to at least -22 degrees F before Hydrochloric acid will freeze.... even lower depending on the acid..... lol

From the TSA blog:

Stick deodorant is fine in any size.

Gel deodorant and aerosol/spray deodorants must be 3.4 oz or less and placed in a quart sized baggie. Larger sizes can be placed in your checked luggage.

If your deodorant squishes up through little holes, it's a gel and must be small or checked. If it's a stick that would retain its shape if it fell out of the plastic container, it's not a gel/liquid and is fine.

Solid deodorant is not affected. If you have gel or roll-on deodorant, then it needs to be in the baggie.

I have had a small bottle of Johnson & Johnson powder chemically checked on two occasions. :confused3

Okay, but the question was what is allowed through security. Powders are allowed. Following the TSA rules doesn't mean that your allowed items won't be tested or swabbed for explosive residue. I assume that after being tested, you were allowed to bring your powder through.

I have had a small bottle of Johnson & Johnson powder chemically checked on two occasions. :confused3

Okay, but the question was what is allowed through security. Powders are allowed. Following the TSA rules doesn't mean that your allowed items won't be tested or swabbed for explosive residue. I assume that after being tested, you were allowed to bring your powder through.

I've posted before, about one time when I was doing carry on only. They ran my carry on through a couple of times and finally asked if it was mine, and said they needed to search it. The TSA agent picked up a bag of sealed, labeled bath salts, shook them, opened them, smelled them, ran his little cloth covered wand thingy through them, and finally ran his gloved fingers through them. I laughed and told him they were just bath salts (about a quart). He actually glared at me, told me he wasn't sure they were allowed, and had to call a supervisor. When the supervisor came over, he took one look at them, gave his agent a disgusted look, said they were fine, and to let me go. Instead of apologizing, the DFW TSA agent actually glared at me, said he was going to let me through this time, but I had 'better not try to sneak something like that through again'.:rotfl: What was funny, is that I had decided at the last minute that I didn't really need a checked bag and was going to do carry on only, so had rapidly switched things around just the night before. Directly beneath that bag of bath salts he was so concerned about, I had a small packing cube that had a zip lock bag with a tiny bottle of cleansing oil, mascara, and a lip gloss, mixed in with some other small items. I had forgotten to put them in the 3-1-1 bag. He was so concerned about those bath salts that were legal, that he missed three items he should have caught and would have, if he had simply glanced down at it, since the top of the packing cube was mesh. Those bath salts were sitting directly on top of that little packing cube.:rotfl::rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!