Onboard booking questions

Cynth

Mouseketeer
I’m trying to figure out how the onboard booking will work.

I’m looking at the panama canal 2020 cruise, if I book a verandah cabin on board could I change it later to a panama canal 2021 ocean view?
In short do I need to keep the same category or is downgrading allowed ?

How do I proceed to change my travel agent? I booked this cruise with a non Disney specific TA, for the better OBC, but I’m not happy with them so I would like to go back to DU for my future cruise. Can I just tell them the name of my DU person while booking on board?

You can definitely change categories after you book onboard. If you choose a different category on the same cruise, you will pay the rate as of the day you originally booked onboard. If you change to a different cruise, you will pay the rate as of the day you changed the cruise date. You will still get the 10% onboard booking discount (unless you change to Concierge).

If the new room is more expensive, you will owe an additional deposit. I don’t know if you can get a refund of the deposit if you downgrade to a less expensive room, but the additional deposit will be applied toward your final payment.

I think the only choices for a travel agent are the agency you used for the current cruise or no agent. To use a different travel agent, you would need to book with no agent, then call the agency you want and transfer the booking to them after your cruise.

Just wanted to add that in order to retain OBB perks, you must sail within 2 years of the date you initially booked onboard. This is something to keep in mind if you're changing dates. I'm not sure about booking specific sail dates but I know when you book a placeholder with deposit, it gives the exact date by which you have to sail in order to retain perks.

Just wanted to add that in order to retain OBB perks, you must sail within 2 years of the date you initially booked onboard. This is something to keep in mind if you're changing dates. I'm not sure about booking specific sail dates but I know when you book a placeholder with deposit, it gives the exact date by which you have to sail in order to retain perks.

Since the “placeholder” thing was introduced to stop the booking of “dummy reservations” - where people would book the cheapest inside cabin for the furthest out cruise and keep bumping that further and further out - I am pretty sure the same 2 year limit applies to actual bookings as well.

I think the only choices for a travel agent are the agency you used for the current cruise or no agent. To use a different travel agent, you would need to book with no agent, then call the agency you want and transfer the booking to them after your cruise

This. If you want it assigned to DU from the beginning (I think they cut the OBC they give for transfers), you’d pretty much need to cancel the reservation you have and rebook through DU. Otherwise you’d have to check the “Do not want this applied to my current travel agent” box when you do your onboard booking and then transfer the reservation to DU - which, as I said, I believe results in half the OBC DU would give for a new booking.

This. If you want it assigned to DU from the beginning (I think they cut the OBC they give for transfers), you’d pretty much need to cancel the reservation you have and rebook through DU. Otherwise you’d have to check the “Do not want this applied to my current travel agent” box when you do your onboard booking and then transfer the reservation to DU - which, as I said, I believe results in half the OBC DU would give for a new booking.

No need to do this. Just tell the DCL agent you do not want a travel agency applied to the new booking. When you return, contact DUT and fill out one of their cruise transfer forms. This way you get to retain your onboard booking discount.

Since the “placeholder” thing was introduced to stop the booking of “dummy reservations” - where people would book the cheapest inside cabin for the furthest out cruise and keep bumping that further and further out - I am pretty sure the same 2 year limit applies to actual bookings as well.

Yes, this is true but I cannot confirm that a real sail date reservation includes the expiration date like a placeholder does.

No need to do this. Just tell the DCL agent you do not want a travel agency applied to the new booking. When you return, contact DUT and fill out one of their cruise transfer forms. This way you get to retain your onboard booking discount.
It’s not that you can’t tranfer, Dug’s point is that you will lose some OBC perks from the TA if you do. It’s best to name the TA while booking onboard if at all possible. Just be prepared to list all the info that is asked on the transfer form so they can accurately assign your new TA. The new TA can give you this before you sail.

Yes, this is true but I cannot confirm that a real sail date reservation includes the expiration date like a placeholder does.
The reservation doesn't have an expiration date -- it can be moved to any other date. However, as you noted, the onboard booking discount and stateroom credit apply only to cruises taken within 2 years of the original onboard booking date. This may not be shown on the reservation, but it is in DCL's system, because my travel agent has been able to tell us the latest date we can move to in order to keep our OBB benefits.

It’s not that you can’t tranfer, Dug’s point is that you will lose some OBC perks from the TA if you do. It’s best to name the TA while booking onboard if at all possible. Just be prepared to list all the info that is asked on the transfer form so they can accurately assign your new TA. The new TA can give you this before you sail.

This. You can certainly do as @plutolovr said, but DU only gives partial OBC for transfers.

I did not think you could add a TA to your booking on board though. I think it's either use the one listed or remove them.

The reservation doesn't have an expiration date -- it can be moved to any other date. However, as you noted, the onboard booking discount and stateroom credit apply only to cruises taken within 2 years of the original onboard booking date. This may not be shown on the reservation, but it is in DCL's system, because my travel agent has been able to tell us the latest date we can move to in order to keep our OBB benefits.
Exactly. I'm sure they have ways of seeing the 2 yrs out date but honestly it's been so long since I booked an actual cruise date while onboard, I can't recall if the wording on the passenger's confirmation listed it specifically. (To save my time while onboard and the CM's time at the future cruise desk, I prefer to book placeholders and let my TA deal with it. I do this unless they just released some new cruise dates that were in demand and booking ASAP is important.)
I do know for certain that my placeholder reservation specifically states it and I find that convenient when changing dates. Maybe that's just me. ;)

"Travel By: 07-Sep-2021
This reservation must commence on or before the Travel By date listed above or the reservation will automatically cancel and deposit will be refunded."

For those who don't use a TA, one would need to pay close attention to the OBB expiration date or call DCL to confirm.

I think it's either use the one listed or remove them.

Does anyone have confirmation of this? The reason I ask is that my TA has moved companies so has said for future booking to name her but at her new company which is what I was planning on doing next week. I didn't think about the fact that I might not be able to I just thought I could explain to the CM and they would swap them over.

Does anyone have confirmation of this? The reason I ask is that my TA has moved companies so has said for future booking to name her but at her new company which is what I was planning on doing next week. I didn't think about the fact that I might not be able to I just thought I could explain to the CM and they would swap them over.

If your TA advised this, than it should be possible. I don't see a reason why a TA would recommend this if it does not work.
I will also try and ask if I can name a different TA on board and if not I can still book it without a TA and transfer later on.

Update: I'm back from the cruise, I booked onboard but they could not change the TA. So I booked it with no TA named and need to transfer within 30 days of booking.

Same here! I was told I could only use the TA on the booking or would have to transfer to a TA afterwards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!