Onboard Account - Onboard Credit and Credit Cards

My wife always insists on using the Disney Visa card. Once it is registered, your KTW card will show this. I believe you have to spend over a certain amount in order to get the discount. Anyway, before the end of the cruise she will pay a majority of the on board balance with discounted gift cards she purchased before the cruise. This way she gets more of a savings. That is why I let her handle all the money.
This is exactly what I do as well.

I have the card on my account the whole time and then add gift cards and Disney rewards card after my on board credit has run out or whenever guest services isn’t busy/ I think about it so that my credit card isn’t charged until I have run out of all credits and gift cards/ the end of the trip. I make sure to buy gift cards to cover expected purchases (Palo, tips if I haven’t prepaided, excursions, and then a rough estimate of what I want to spend on souvenirs) and then the rest goes on my card.

So the act of the rewards card not only being linked but also *charged* is where the discount is triggered, presumably?
No, the discount is applied at the point of sale at the time of purchase so long as the Disney Visa has been selected as the form of payment and been noted with a DV in the lower right of the KTTW card. The discount will apply even if no actual charges get paid for with the card. We have used onboard credit and gift cards to cover our entire bill but still received the DV discounts on our shop and photo purchases so long as they met the minimum transaction level. The salespeople who process the purchases do not know about any credits you might have on your account. They just ring up the purchase, apply the appropriate discount at that time, and have you sign the receipt. The net charge then shows up on your folio.

Onboard, they apply the discount at the point of sale, though. They charge your card at the conclusion of the cruise.
I suppose if you totally switched your payment method, they could try to go back and reverse the discounts, but that sounds like a nightmare logistically. I am betting that if you paid down the balance with another card and then let a few bucks charge to the Disney Visa (which was initially registered as your main form of payment), it would not matter.
Honestly, not that much stuff is discounted for the Disney Visa , anyway to really worry about it unless you are spending thousands on merchandise.

The other benefit to the Disney Visa is the 6 months free financing

Actually, depending on the cruise length and amount of onboard charges your assigned credit card will be charged. For example, on a 7 day cruise my Disney Visa was charged when I reached $400 in onboard charges. It was charged again when I hit another $400. So I could not wait until the end of the cruise and pay with a different card....it was charged along the way when you hit a certain dollar amount of charges. A 3 day cruise may have a lower threshold before your credit card is charged.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter