"On this Day in Disney History" April 2020 Exercise Challenge

No color changes today. I don't know about you guys, but I've had a serious lack of motivation to move my body today and have consequently spent an embarrassing amount of time on the couch.

Today let's head to the Magic Kingdom where on this day in Disney history - April 17, 2012:

Orange Bird returns to Sunshine Tree Terrace signage and quirky drink cups in Adventureland at Magic Kingdom Park. Orange Bird was a character who was developed back in 1970. Walt Disney Productions entered into negotiations with the Florida Citrus Commission for an FCC-sponsored Walt Disney World attraction early in 1967. A contract was signed in October 1969, formalizing the FCC's underwriting of a "tropical bird show" at a cost of $3 million. The following year WED Enterprises created the Orange Bird character to serve as the FCC's official mascot in promotional campaigns. (The Orange Bird also appeared in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom as a walk-around character during the resort's first decade.)

If you have any orange bird merch, feel free to share pics!

I wish I could both like and sad face your post. I chose to go with sad because of the trip cancellations. So sorry about that. I'm so glad things worked out for your trip last year so you have those memories during this time.

We have a feeling our trip to Europe this winter will not happen, either, especially if there is a fall resurgence of the virus. Right now, we have two trips booked in Dec - one domestic as a backup plan and one overseas as the original plan - and we're in wait and see mode. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up having to cancel both.

Oh, that's sad about your trip(s)! I think the uncertainty is just the worst. It could be way better by then--but who knows??

Yesterday's walk was outside, and I took this near my neighbor's house:
View attachment 488825

Today, my backyard looks like this:
View attachment 488826

What a difference a day makes!

You just illustrated our week here--back and forth between spring and sun and flowers, and then snow! And then through the cycle again!

Congrats to PollyannaMom for reaching Persistent Purple and to Twilight Sparkle (me) for reaching Remarkable Red! :figment::figment::figment:

Speaking of PollyannaMom, on this day in Disney history - April 18, 1946:

Academy Award-winning actress Hayley Mills is born Hayley Catherine Rose Vivien Mills to actor John Mills and novelist-playwright Mary Hayley Bell in London, England. Walt Disney's wife first saw 12-year-old Mills in the movie Tiger Bay. She arranged for Mills to meet Walt and the result was her American film debut Pollyanna (which earned Mills a special Academy Award). Also a Golden Globe Award winner, her Disney credits include The Parent Trap (as twins Sharon and Susan), In Search of the Castaways, Summer Magic, The Moon-Spinners and That Darn Cat!. The success of the song "Let's Get Together" (which she sang in The Parent Trap) also lead to the release of a record album on Disney's Buena Vista label, Let's Get Together with Hayley Mills. During her six-year run at Disney, Mills was probably the most popular child actress of the era.

I don't know if the Pollyanna part of your name has anything to do with the novel or movie Pollyanna, PollyannaMom, but I am always reminded of them when I see your name, so this info about Hayley Mills brought you to mind.

Is that a bobcat? Gorgeous!!! And it looks well fed. I think my cat, chickens, and all of the wild birds we feed would have heart attacks if that showed up in my backyard. Great photo!!!!!

Yes, a bobcat. It comes by occasionally. It was like being at the zoo, except we were the ones in the enclosure! We also saw two coyotes on our walk last night. Pretty good for being in the suburbs fairly near to Denver!

In other sightings, the Thunderbirds precision flying team did a tour of the Front Range this afternoon. They were appearing for the Air Force Academy's graduation and took the time to plot out a route from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs, doing fly-bys of various hospitals to honor medical personnel.

Yes, a bobcat. It comes by occasionally. It was like being at the zoo, except we were the ones in the enclosure! We also saw two coyotes on our walk last night. Pretty good for being in the suburbs fairly near to Denver!

In other sightings, the Thunderbirds precision flying team did a tour of the Front Range this afternoon. They were appearing for the Air Force Academy's graduation and took the time to plot out a route from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs, doing fly-bys of various hospitals to honor medical personnel.

Wow! It's almost like you have a pet bobcat. Super cool. Coyotes, too. We hear them more than see them, but occasionally we'll get one in the neighborhood. Never spotted a bobcat up close, though. It must sense that you guys are non-threatening.

DH would have loved to have seen the Thunderbirds fly over. How nice of them to honor both the grads and the medical personnel.

I don't know if the Pollyanna part of your name has anything to do with the novel or movie Pollyanna, PollyannaMom, but I am always reminded of them when I see your name, so this info about Hayley Mills brought you to mind.

Yes, it’s one of my favorite Disney movies, and did come to mind when I was creating my user name. :goodvibes

My usual 20 minutes yesterday. 370/600

Thurs, 4/16: 126 minutes
Fri, 4/17: 202 minutes
Sat, 4/18: 199 minutes
Sun, 4/19: 176 minutes
Status through 4/19: 3187/3500

Watch's April Challenge, current status: 26460/40100 Active Calories

@sophy1996 : Great bobcat photo! We used to have one that would snooze on our deck lounge chairs ... but we haven't seen him (her?) for awhile now.

For me, still horse work and yard work. I suffered a migraine yesterday ... started with the drop out vision issues while feeding the horses. Attending virtual church was painful as I can't turn off the video from other attendees and my eyes were killing me trying to keep up with sermon notes (an excellent message titled, "The End of Spiritual Distancing") while multiple participant video had ceiling fans reflecting in strobes across the artwork glass behind them. P.a.i.n.f.u.l.
(I think the migraine was supported by stress but triggered by pollens I dislodged while weed whipping on Saturday?)

I think I've loved Orange Bird since the 70's. Anita Bryant, right? I have some Orange Bird lanyard pins ... but not well organized, at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!