old steam engine tracks

bigdisneydaddy

Fan of all things Fort wilderness
I read that there were steam engines used as the internal transportation at FW when it first opened. The article said that the tracks were still visible in several locations. does anyone know where ?

The best place I've found to pick them up is across the street from the Settlement bus stop, behind the golf cart parking area. The rails are gone, but the ties are still visible. They // the roadway for a short time, then turn left into the woods. The brush gets a bit thick and the bed washes out in places, but you can follow them for quite a ways until emerging across from the 600 Loop.

As I remember (and this gets fuzzy), another good spot is next to the 1500 Loop (Cottontail Curl), across the street from the Meadows pool. Off to the left are the remains of an old trestle spanning a shallow draw.

Enjoy

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum[/i

[This message was edited by disneycampingdad on 03-07-01 at 08:07 AM.

[This message was edited by disneycampingdad on 03-07-01 at 08:10 AM.]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest