OKW refurbishment question

They have said that.

I'm just dubious. The pushback on dates was because everyone hated the prototype rooms. There have been no new prototypes that anyone has heard/seen. There hasn't been another round of this in any way, and it is highly unusual for a change like this to happen without some of that, or without it "getting out" into the general rumor sphere.

I think if they're doing a few rooms right now, it's for feedback loop. No one's even seen a rendering.

My opinion, mind you.

They seemed to have insider info saying now all rooms completed by next August. That seemed a tight timeframe to me given originally it was a 2 year project

They have said that.

I'm just dubious. The pushback on dates was because everyone hated the prototype rooms. There have been no new prototypes that anyone has heard/seen. There hasn't been another round of this in any way, and it is highly unusual for a change like this to happen without some of that, or without it "getting out" into the general rumor sphere.

I think if they're doing a few rooms right now, it's for feedback loop. No one's even seen a rendering.

My opinion, mind you.

Consider most refurbs you never hear of a people viewing a prototype it's not too surprising. More surprising was that there was a few reports of being asked for input on the OKW room.

I'm not understanding the increased pace though. It's like the VWL refurb that they cranked out in a month and the quality of the rushed refurb there shows in many ways.

Thanks Bill would be really interested to know if really started finally. Maybe they used the feedback, and adjusted accordingly.
I'm hoping they announce the rumoured SSR refurb at the condo meeting. Soon SSR will have a capital account bigger than an offshore Isle of Jersey Apple fund if it doesn't refurb.

We did a tour last Sept of the 1st try at the re-model and had many comments about the new design. They then did a re-do but on our trip in Feb we did not get to see the rev 2 mock up. Very curious to see what they came up with.

I think I saw your report Bill. Did they look too generic? What were your suggestions?

Hmmmmmm. I have a feeling they have begun and are keeping the mock up under wraps because maybe they are going ahead with things folks didn't like....like I sent email requesting they not remove jetted tubs. I bet they are removing them. Whatever the second mock up was, I bet they are going with that. We stay there next month. Unless my Poly WL comes through, which I really wish it would as i am tired of being at resorts under construction.

The look was very nice, but nothing like the Old Key West theme that was there. It was the generic look they put in BCV and BWV refurbs, white counter, stainless appliances, larger TV, new gray tile in the bathrooms, removal of the big tub, replace with a generic non-bubble tub...
As another poster said they look like any other Dallas condo, I had to agree. Looked like the same sofa, loveseat and chair with a generic fabric. All touches of the Key West theme were gone, except 1 small painting left from before. If I can get a tour and they let me take photos this time I will post once I get home.

Hoping to find out something next month at the Member Meeting.

More generic rooms..not screaming Old Key West....we own at BWV...when I first walked thur the door after purchasing and it was our first stay..I thought yes it was a good decision and the place was lovely.....I thought how beautiful....now the rooms..what is the theme.?.one picture with a ferris wheel on the wall....oh well.....

At OKW now, and as of today (11/15) 4 buildings are closed for refurbishment: Buildings 30, 31, 32, and 33.
Lots of trucks and hard hats around. Saw them moving in some new furniture into building 31, and they were pressure washing building 30. Don't know what all else they may be doing, but as I said, there were a lot of trucks and a lot of workers.

A long time OKW Owner and Lover. I have not been on the boards in quite a while and was a bit surprised at this. I would vote for fresh paint and furniture and leave it at that, but, do not have a vote in the matter.

I have been off the boards as I had an extended stay in the local hospital(s). A very obscure Blood Disorder and other complications left me out of the fray for a bit.

But, at 55 and now in good health I still feel that a bad day at OKW is better then an IV and breathing mask or a day in an office. Hopefully DVC will do a good job of refurbishing the place to all of our's satisfaction.

Face it, hard as they try they cannot scr$w up the beautiful deck space where I spend most of my time giggling at the terrible golfers as they thrash their way through the tree's to an eventual 4 putt on the greens.

If I was the Mayor of Conch Flats for a year I would take most of the funds to expand the Conch Flats domain (by cobbling up the under or not used Tennis Courts) and create a larger space for the Gurgling Suitcase (which you need to walk out of to change your mind), create a splash zone for the kids and expand the goods to go and arcade areas.
When I think of home I think of OKW, and when I think of OKW I think of Conch Flats - such a wonderful peaceful place. It just needs to be expanded a bit.

BTW, I am running for Mayor of Conch Flats when it comes up in 2019. Please let me know your thoughts on the matter. I will consider adding you as a staffer or ambassador and I will turn your great ideas and represent them as my own. I am working with many foreign governments currently to aid my election campaign - I already have an offer from Tashkent Uzbekistan to become a "sister city". A few places in Argentina want to sign on as "distant-cousin twice removed" cities.

Last edited:
DVCMC has it's own agenda and it doesn't always include member satisfaction, it doesn't have to, every dvc resort, every room will be booked unless the owners decide to let their points expire for that year. IMO the theming is going to the new resorts and taken away from the older resorts by design, very common in the industry to attract sales.

:earsboy: Bill

We were supposed to be there for Thanksgiving at OKW in a grand villa but I have to have surgery the day after Thanksgiving so we had to cancel. We are now scheduled for Memorial weekend into June in a grand villa so I hope We get a new unit.

Anyone get any pics of anything yet? Did you do your investigation Bill ? Get anywhere?

I didn't get a chance to see the new (rev 2) units. It was amazing how little the CMs knew about the units, or how little they were allowed to say. Hopefully someone will be able to get a peak at the new models and report on them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter