OKW Going Up to $180 PP

I agree. I don't see the draw for Riviera at all. If I'm paying a premium for a DVC resort, it's a DVC resort where I can walk to one of the parks. If it's a DVC resort where I can't walk to one of the parks, then I expect it to be cheaper (OKW, Saratoga, etc), or have a really cool draw/theme (AKL). Riviera doesn't seem to have any of those to me.

Which is why it’s so great that there are so many choices! Everyone values things differently!

I still see OKW as home away from home. I have 3 Owner's Lockers and actually use it like a second home.

I have to get there one of these trips! It’s the only one I have not tried. Since I am retired now and expect to go monthly during the winter for a few nights, it may be something I do since we won’t do parks each trip!

I have to get there one of these trips! It’s the only one I have not tried. Since I am retired now and expect to go monthly during the winter for a few nights, it may be something I do since we won’t do parks each trip!
It has its own vibe and, as you know, its own fan club

I agree. I don't see the draw for Riviera at all. If I'm paying a premium for a DVC resort, it's a DVC resort where I can walk to one of the parks. If it's a DVC resort where I can't walk to one of the parks, then I expect it to be cheaper (OKW, Saratoga, etc), or have a really cool draw/theme (AKL). Riviera doesn't seem to have any of those to me.

I really don't get Riviera either. DW loves it, but for me it's almost trying too hard to not be Disney. I'm not a big theming kinda guy, and I'd never stay in a Pirate Room at CBR, but to me Riviera just reminds me of the usual JW Marriott's or Ritz Carlton's I've stayed at for conferences a dozen times (but without the same level of hotel service). Also, I don't see being on the Skyliner as all that great either. Yes, you have direct access to Epcot and HS, but those Skyliner stations are a mass of humanity, like the MK ferry terminals after fireworks, all the time. Since you're stuck at the middle of the line, you're faced with full gondolas coming from Epcot, or full gondolas coming from CBR, HS, Pop Century, and AOA.

I really don't get Riviera either. DW loves it, but for me it's almost trying too hard to not be Disney. I'm not a big theming kinda guy, and I'd never stay in a Pirate Room at CBR, but to me Riviera just reminds me of the usual JW Marriott's or Ritz Carlton's I've stayed at for conferences a dozen times (but without the same level of hotel service). Also, I don't see being on the Skyliner as all that great either. Yes, you have direct access to Epcot and HS, but those Skyliner stations are a mass of humanity, like the MK ferry terminals after fireworks, all the time. Since you're stuck at the middle of the line, you're faced with full gondolas coming from Epcot, or full gondolas coming from CBR, HS, Pop Century, and AOA.
...when they are actually running...

Apparently OKW is now on a waiting list for most UY (definitely October and December). The incentives expired today, and the rate of $170/pp for existing members expires in a week. Just FYI in case anyone is looking to pick up OKW direct!

Apparently OKW is now on a waiting list for most UY (definitely October and December). The incentives expired today, and the rate of $170/pp for existing members expires in a week. Just FYI in case anyone is looking to pick up OKW direct!
are there any incentives right now for existing members?

So what's the bottom look like right now? OKW/SSR @ $180 and AKV @$186? That sets a floor of ~$125-$130/pt. That seems to match up with the recent ROFR reports.
$180 for SSR? I'll happily sell and double my buy in while still getting years of low rate stays!

$180 for SSR? I'll happily sell and double my buy in while still getting years of low rate stays!

The $180 is the direct pricing, which sets a floor of $125-$130/pt resale for SSR. You wouldn't be getting $180 on a resale, not today. But it's not impossible. I have one resale contract that is getting close to being able to swap directly for RIV at this point.

Are you sure it is $170 for existing members for this week? Until Friday?

Are you sure it is $170 for existing members for this week? Until Friday?

My understanding is that the promotions ended on September 8th. There are no incentives/discounts on SSR or OKW right now.

My guide also said that they weren’t giving existing Members time to take advantage of the incentives if you were NOT in discussions prior to September 8th.

My understanding is that the promotions ended on September 8th. There are no incentives/discounts on SSR or OKW right now.

My guide also said that they weren’t giving existing Members time to take advantage of the incentives if you were NOT in discussions prior to September 8th.
Thank you. I have contract at the final moments of ROFR for $130 - just planning ahead.

You know what's interesting? DVC tends to just repeat itself over and over again. The minimum buy in has changed so many times. It's been 230, 100, 25, 75, 125 and now it's back to 150.

For those interested in buying, but not 150 points, just wait around long enough. It'll go back down eventually.

When was the last time you could buy in at 25 or 50 points?

It has never been as low as 25 since I was an owner. It was never published as low as 50..always 100..but reports over the years have seen new owners allowed to buy in that low.

However, it’s been years. I personally don’t think we will see it go back down. I think they will hold off the increase in new resorts instead and be okay with the sales numbers being lower than when minimums were lower

It has never been as low as 25 since I was an owner. It was never published as low as 50..always 100..but reports over the years have seen new owners allowed to buy in that low.

However, it’s been years. I personally don’t think we will see it go back down. I think they will hold off the increase in new resorts instead and be okay with the sales numbers being lower than when minimums were lower

I'm one of those owners. Back in 2019 I was told I would be able to buy in for as little as 25 points. I ultimately bought in for 75 to get blue card benefits, so I can't say for sure if it was just a statement or an actuality but it was offered last second.

I mean technically you can buy in at 25 (cash) now, you just don't get a blue card (which apparently doesn't matter unless you care about the Epcot lounge since resale owners can now get the Sorceror Pass that comes with discounts).

These are blue card minimums:

2016 - 25 (also year they started white card)
2017 - 50 older resorts, 100 newer
Feb 2018 - raised to 75 all
Sept 2019 - raised to 100
Oct 2020 - raised to 125
June 2021 - raised to 150

Source: DVC News, Blog Mickey, DVC Resale Market Blog

Just for fun, DVC launched with a 230 point minimum in 1991 for what's now Old Key West.

Last edited:
I mean technically you can buy in at 25 (cash) now, you just don't get a blue card (which apparently doesn't matter unless you care about the Epcot lounge since resale owners can now get the Sorceror Pass that comes with discounts).

These are blue card minimums:

2016 - 25 (also year they started white card)
2017 - 50 older resorts, 100 newer
Feb 2018 - raised to 75 all
Sept 2019 - raised to 100
Oct 2020 - raised to 125
June 2021 - raised to 150

Source: DVC News, Blog Mickey, DVC Resale Market Blog

Just for fun, DVC launched with a 230 point minimum in 1991 for what's now Old Key West.

They have held firm for new buyers meeting minimum for the past year or so. Many reports of people being allowed to walk away when they would not sell them less than the published minimum.

So, while they once may have allowed people to do it, I don’t think they do now.

I'm one of those owners. Back in 2019 I was told I would be able to buy in for as little as 25 points. I ultimately bought in for 75 to get blue card benefits, so I can't say for sure if it was just a statement or an actuality but it was offered last second.

Interesting. I wonder if you would have been allowed to actually do it. I have read a few reports over the years, about guides saying one thing and then not being able to follow through.

It happened to me in 2009…I was told I could buy under the minimum for a new UY and then it was denied once the paperwork went to QA.

It worked out, because we just decided to sell the resale contract that made us owners, and just bought above the minimum for BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter