OKW 2BR Refurbishment Photos - Building 39 “Turtle Pond”

Didn't you always have that problem since it looked like a 1980s home inside?
No, actually, as a lover of Key West, I bought where I wanted to stay, in an OKW themed resort. There is absolutely nothing wrong nor more expensive in painting walls or picking out fabrics using a color palette befitting Key West, Florida. The new floors are very nice but they shouldnt be gray, the master bath unit is beautiful but shouldn't be gray, the walls are clean but shouldn't be gray. I bet when they refurb AKV it won't be gray... When they designed Copper Creek, they didn't pick gray, no imagine, they chose rich shades of brown, rust, dark leathers, theming befitting the name and the resort.

Disney, fun, gray.... there's no fun or Disney in gray!

It is very attractive. However it is not practical with the white chair and the white seats on the dining room chairs. Even the light green couch could show stains. DVC members seem to be a messy bunch with many not cleaning up after themselves and letting children eat on the couch and walk on it sometimes with their shoes on. With that atmosphere light colors do not do well.

BLT really showed that with a light colored couch and bright blue ottoman. The couches in the studios were a mess with in a few years. The ottoman lasted longer because it was a washable outdoor fabric, but after 5 years some of them looked grubby.
I was just thinking the same, people in general don't pick up after themselves, in public places or in a DVC villa! Possibly these furnishings and finishings are more protected and can be cleaned easier! Responsibility and respect needs to be instilled in our children and grand children! Just because we don't own a hotel room, for example, doesn't mean we have the right to trash it! And now that the rental of DVC points is so popular it opens another whole can of worms!

I was just thinking the same, people in general don't pick up after themselves, in public places or in a DVC villa! Possibly these furnishings and finishings are more protected and can be cleaned easier! Responsibility and respect needs to be instilled in our children and grand children! Just because we don't own a hotel room, for example, doesn't mean we have the right to trash it! And now that the rental of DVC points is so popular it opens another whole can of worms!
Beige is not a good color to hide stains.

We were very fortunate to be the first to stay in the newly refurbished 2BR at OKW # 3923! It is so nice! Nearly everything is brand new! Thanks again to OW for the point rental and for being such an awesome help in so many ways! Cheers to you!
Sincerely,
Scott

PS: not all photos were able to be loaded b/c of their size. If there’s anything in particular you’d like to see, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

View attachment 341612 View attachment 341613 View attachment 341614 View attachment 341615 View attachment 341616 [GALLERY=]View attachment 341612 View attachment 341613 View attachment 341614 View attachment 341615 View attachment 341616 [/GALLERY]

Thanks for sharing!
I stayed at an OKW studio in 2013, and it was pretty much dark blues, browns, and grays. And the bathroom was like a peach color. Granted, this isn't a studio, but it's got more color than the studios had.

I think the rug is supposed to be coral...and there are photos of coral on the wall. I would have liked to have seen the throw pillows have some pops of color, but they almost look like they recycled the bed spread from the studios ;)

I've seen pictures of the kitchen where there is no back splash. That, I believe, is an opportunity missed to add a pop of color.

But, this remodel does at least have a picture of Mickey and Minnie...there are other DVCs, like CCV, that have very little Disney touches.

But I don't want to sell. I just hate these sterile renovations. Even BCV got a little color in the villas.

There is color! The place looks great, but it has changed! I have owned DVC for 15 years and I'm glad they got rid of the look in the bathroom. The peach was way too dated, along with the large orange floor tiles. Old Key West doesn't have to look old and tired. We are updating our own house even though I still love the wallpaper from 14 years ago.

I was there a couple weeks ago. You have to see it in person. Plenty of color in the living room, and the couch pillows are real cute. The above photos look a little washed out. After being in the parks, it's nice to have a calmer look in the rooms. The bathrooms have a nice shade of green on the cabinets, yes the floor is grey, better than orange.

If you haven't seen the place in person, wait. Getting disappointed because of pictures or what other people are saying may not be what you think. I say it looks great, and can't wait to see SSR's renovation next.

There is color! The place looks great, but it has changed! I have owned DVC for 15 years and I'm glad they got rid of the look in the bathroom. The peach was way too dated, along with the large orange floor tiles. Old Key West doesn't have to look old and tired. We are updating our own house even though I still love the wallpaper from 14 years ago.

I was there a couple weeks ago. You have to see it in person. Plenty of color in the living room, and the couch pillows are real cute. The above photos look a little washed out. After being in the parks, it's nice to have a calmer look in the rooms. The bathrooms have a nice shade of green on the cabinets, yes the floor is grey, better than orange.

If you haven't seen the place in person, wait. Getting disappointed because of pictures or what other people are saying may not be what you think. I say it looks great, and can't wait to see SSR's renovation next.

But you miss the point. Bland beige interior with a little splash of extremely light color is not anything like Key West, the area that Old Key West is supposed to be themed after. It is like removing the horses from Saratoga, the National Park lodge theme from Wilderness Lodge, or "modern" from the Contemporary. It is akin to putting the Chrysler Building at the Polynesian.

subpage_banners_two_bedroom_1501606960.jpg

The top picture is Margaritaville Resort and Spa in Key West, beige walls with a splash of color, looks nice and soothing. Below is Pier House Resort an Spa. More beige with a splash of color. Looks like Key West resorts don't look like "Key West" either. Seems like if someone wants the really bright colors they need a private home or b&b.
csp-spa-junior-suite-17.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing in those photos says Key West, either. It could just as easily be downtown Houston. Classic Key West has much more color. Even if OKW had a vibrant accent wall, it would have not been bland and boring.

Seems like if someone wants the really bright colors they need a private home or b&b.
Did you ever stay at OKW prior to the first renovation? It had color. They removed some of the color with the first renovation, but it was still pastel. I did not purchase a bland, beige resort from Disney in 1992. It was colorful.

Ocean Key Resort:

rooms-suites%20jpg.ashx

Last edited:

Of course there are colors, just the wrong colors for Key West. Margaritaville is located all over the place in the country and it's basically the same all over the place. We had Margaritaville in NW Louisiana. Jimmy Buffet is just out to make money. Our resort name is OLD Key West, not Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Key West, brand new build with designers from NYC. Not NEW MODERN Key West. Not THE W HOTEL Key West. Not HAMPTON INN Key West.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter