Okay…who wants to help me plan my first trip to DLR/CA?

I mean, I don't know this teenage girl, but I seriously doubt she wants to go to LA for the museums...
My family extended their trip because my sis wanted to go to the Getty when she was in high school. She said my parents were rushing her. Lol poor kid! We don’t come from a refined family.

I highly recommend catching a movie at El Capitan theater if there’s something exciting from Disney/Marvel out. It’s a gorgeously restored old theater owned by Disney right in the heart of tourist Hollywood and there’s usually a costume/prop display & photo op. There are a lot of cool shops a teenager would love close to there (Funko, Sanrio (hello kitty)) with unique photo ops.
Around the corner is Hollywood High where you can frequently catch pro skateboarders throwing themselves down the giant handrail and Amoeba records is very close too.
if you are Star Wars people the bar “Scum and Villany” is down the street and they allow minors in to enjoy the ambiance.

this is all in the schlocky tourist district which may be mandatory if it’s a first visit to LA.

Last edited:
Huge thanks to you all for helping me to figure this out!

I'm not 100%, but based on what you all were saying, we decided to drop that random first night in LA 5/21, and moved our WB Tour to the following week 5/28.

We now have 6 nights at DLR, but the first day will probably be just getting acclimated and not a park day. The next 5 days, we will be hitting the parks, but we are typically, "rope drop/mid-day pool break/back to parks at night," people, so we will have some time to relax in there.

We'll still check out on May 27, but we'll rent a car at Paradise Pier and head up to do Santa Monica, Venice, etc.

May 28, We'll do the WB Tour at 10am, then maybe visit Rodeo Drive (visit…not shop!), walk of fame, Griffith park, etc.

Just FYI, I sent this whole thread to my DD and told her I really needed her to weigh in on what she wants to do. Her thoughts are Santa Monica/Venice, Rodeo Drive, WB Tour, and then what she would really like to do is just find some cool shops to poke around in. Her friend goes to Chapman College out there and will have to tell her where to go. She'd rather wing it and as a planner, there's no way I'm doing that! The only other thing I might make her do is Griffith Park/Griffith Observatory at sunset maybe. I'm guessing along the way we might also check out the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theater. I don't think that'll take very long though.

I'm debating between getting a hotel at Universal City for both 5/27 and 5/28, or do I just book there for 5/27 and then move closer to the airport for our last night, return the car that night and shuttle to the airport on 5/29? Our plane leaves at 7 am and I guess I don't want the stress of returning the car that morning so I might split it.

Again, thank you to everyone who bothered to read this and for all your helpful tips! The logistics of this trip stresses me out a little, as I'm so used to WDW and just knowing everything :P

Do your Disneyland days, then go back to LA for the tail end of your time here before you fly out to Hawaii. Skip the Loews Hollywood. Like I said, Hollywood is generally disgusting, especially the area around that hotel. You won't feel comfortable being out after dark in that area, trust me. Stay over in Universal City.

You've convinced me! Thank you!

You mentioned your daughter is an aspiring actress, is she interested in seeing a show either at the Pantages, Ahmanson/Music Center or even Pasadena Playhouse?

I think that was another poster :goodvibes

I mean, I don't know this teenage girl, but I seriously doubt she wants to go to LA for the museums...

:rotfl2: It's not really her thing, but then, it's not really mine either. Though there are some cool museums out there that I have really enjoyed. I'll have to search The Getty to see what it's all about.

Huge thanks to you all for helping me to figure this out!

I'm not 100%, but based on what you all were saying, we decided to drop that random first night in LA 5/21, and moved our WB Tour to the following week 5/28.

We now have 6 nights at DLR, but the first day will probably be just getting acclimated and not a park day. The next 5 days, we will be hitting the parks, but we are typically, "rope drop/mid-day pool break/back to parks at night," people, so we will have some time to relax in there.

We'll still check out on May 27, but we'll rent a car at Paradise Pier and head up to do Santa Monica, Venice, etc.

May 28, We'll do the WB Tour at 10am, then maybe visit Rodeo Drive (visit…not shop!), walk of fame, Griffith park, etc.

Just FYI, I sent this whole thread to my DD and told her I really needed her to weigh in on what she wants to do. Her thoughts are Santa Monica/Venice, Rodeo Drive, WB Tour, and then what she would really like to do is just find some cool shops to poke around in. Her friend goes to Chapman College out there and will have to tell her where to go. She'd rather wing it and as a planner, there's no way I'm doing that! The only other thing I might make her do is Griffith Park/Griffith Observatory at sunset maybe. I'm guessing along the way we might also check out the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theater. I don't think that'll take very long though.

I'm debating between getting a hotel at Universal City for both 5/27 and 5/28, or do I just book there for 5/27 and then move closer to the airport for our last night, return the car that night and shuttle to the airport on 5/29? Our plane leaves at 7 am and I guess I don't want the stress of returning the car that morning so I might split it.

Again, thank you to everyone who bothered to read this and for all your helpful tips! The logistics of this trip stresses me out a little, as I'm so used to WDW and just knowing everything :P

This sounds like a good plan! I would recommend the hotel at LAX for your night before your 7am Hawaii flight, definitely. I really like the Coutyard Marriott LAX. Its literally adjacent to LAX so the shuttle ride is super quick in the morning. It's also very quiet because its not on the actual flight path. Stay in Universal City on the 27th.

You will be done with the WB tour around 2pm. You will have plenty of time to do all the other LA things since it will be a Saturday and traffic will be *slightly* less annoying. I'd make your way from Burbank (where the WB tour is) through Hollywood/WEHO, over to Beverly Hills, and finish out at Santa Monica/Venice. The sunset will be much nicer from the beach than Griffith Observatory. That's more a nighttime excursion so you can use the telescopes. I'd perhaps consider doing that the evening of the 27th.

West Hollywood and Beverly Hills are the best areas to poke around in cool shops/boutiques.

would recommend the hotel at LAX for your night before your 7am Hawaii flight, definitely. I really like the Coutyard Marriott LAX.

This sounds perfect!

You will be done with the WB tour around 2pm. You will have plenty of time to do all the other LA things since it will be a Saturday and traffic will be *slightly* less annoying. I'd make your way from Burbank (where the WB tour is) through Hollywood/WEHO, over to Beverly Hills, and finish out at Santa Monica/Venice. The sunset will be much nicer from the beach than Griffith Observatory. That's more a nighttime excursion so you can use the telescopes. I'd perhaps consider doing that the evening of the 27th.

West Hollywood and Beverly Hills are the best areas to poke around in cool shops/boutiques.

That makes so much sense! Thank you for all your help!

Just FYI, I sent this whole thread to my DD and told her I really needed her to weigh in on what she wants to do. Her thoughts are Santa Monica/Venice, Rodeo Drive, WB Tour, and then what she would really like to do is just find some cool shops to poke around in. Her friend goes to Chapman College out there and will have to tell her where to go. She'd rather wing it and as a planner, there's no way I'm doing that! The only other thing I might make her do is Griffith Park/Griffith Observatory at sunset maybe. I'm guessing along the way we might also check out the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theater.

I wasn't a fan of the Walk of Fame, but I get it's a classic thing. I loved the handprints/footprints/pawprints at TCL (the Chinese Theater). Do these during the day. They are right next to each other so it is easy to do both. If you want to see the Hollywood sign, there are great views of it from Griffith Observatory and there are super easy hiking routes in Griffith Park that will also give you great views of the Hollywood sign. If she's into movies, the Peterson Auto Musuem has cars from movies and there is also the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures (I've never been to these musums but I want to go).

For the Disneyland part of the trip: Are you rope drop to close or do you prefer a slower more leisurely pace? Do you want to focus on things that are unique/differnt in Disneyland that aren't in Disney World? Any ride limitations? (I'm a ride coward so I understand not everyone loves the super intense thrill rides).

there is also the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures

Just bouncing off of this to say... I HIGHLY recommend the new Academy museum to anyone interested in film history or filmmaking or just serious movie buffs. I went about 3 weeks ago and it was well worth it. They've done a really fantastic job from top to bottom. (There's also a Miyazaki exhibit right now too, for anyone who is a fan of his work.) We did that and then stopped over at Canter's Deli for a very classic LA afternoon lunch. A+ all around.

If she's into movies, the Peterson Auto Musuem has cars from movies and there is also the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures

Now that sounds like something I would like! I'll have to check it out, thanks!

For the Disneyland part of the trip: Are you rope drop to close or do you prefer a slower more leisurely pace? Do you want to focus on things that are unique/differnt in Disneyland that aren't in Disney World? Any ride limitations? (I'm a ride coward so I understand not everyone loves the super intense thrill rides).

We rope drop and take afternoon breaks. I think with 5-day hoppers, we should see most everything we want. Top of the list would be the unique to DL rides, but I am also excited to compare Small World, Pirates, and Splash.

One thing I'm kind of bummed about is the monorail closure, which I was just made aware of a few days ago. But whatever happens, happens. We've put off this trip far too long so we'll go regardless.

Just bouncing off of this to say... I HIGHLY recommend the new Academy museum to anyone interested in film history or filmmaking or just serious movie buffs. I went about 3 weeks ago and it was well worth it. They've done a really fantastic job from top to bottom. (There's also a Miyazaki exhibit right now too, for anyone who is a fan of his work.) We did that and then stopped over at Canter's Deli for a very classic LA afternoon lunch. A+ all around.

That sounds really cool, thanks!

I would also look at hotel indigo. Nice little place, but much further than Tropicana. Still walking distance. I know you have a teen but the la brea tar pits are worth a visit if you can swing it. I hope you are planning on going to the Griffith observatory too.

Now that sounds like something I would like! I'll have to check it out, thanks!

We rope drop and take afternoon breaks. I think with 5-day hoppers, we should see most everything we want. Top of the list would be the unique to DL rides, but I am also excited to compare Small World, Pirates, and Splash.

One thing I'm kind of bummed about is the monorail closure, which I was just made aware of a few days ago. But whatever happens, happens. We've put off this trip far too long so we'll go regardless.

That sounds really cool, thanks!

Aren't you coming in May? The monorail will be back open. It's only shutting down for a couple weeks.

You have plenty of time to see and do everything you want and do not have to rush. I highly reccomend going to CarsLand in the daytime and the nighttime. It is a retro glowing neon wonderlight night. Depending on wait times/budget, RSR is amazing in daytime, but a different experience at night.

This is more for Disney history nerds, which you may or may not be. It also takes less than five minutes if that has any impact. Near the partners statue in Disneyland, take a look and see the entrances to most of the different lands eminating from the center near the partners statue. Realize this was Walt Disney's dream/vision. What he imagined and designed is a reality that still exists today.

You have plenty of time to see and do everything you want and do not have to rush. I highly reccomend going to CarsLand in the daytime and the nighttime. It is a retro glowing neon wonderlight night. Depending on wait times/budget, RSR is amazing in daytime, but a different experience at night.

This is more for Disney history nerds, which you may or may not be. It also takes less than five minutes if that has any impact. Near the partners statue in Disneyland, take a look and see the entrances to most of the different lands eminating from the center near the partners statue. Realize this was Walt Disney's dream/vision. What he imagined and designed is a reality that still exists today.

I also recommend trying to be at Carsland when the lights come on at least once (Also great during Halloween time). Especially if you watch the movie before your trip.

Oh yeah, the WB tour is always a great time! They keep the groups small so you can really get to know your guide and ask questions. It'll be awesome.

Their customer service is top notch too! Our first guide didn't take our group for a photo op that was supposed to be part of the tour, and when we got dropped off at the next section for the walk through, my friend casually mentioned it to one of the other tour guides who asked us how we enjoyed the tour, and she was SO apologetic and radioed another guide who came and picked us up in a private golf cart and drove us back to get the photo, and then he took us around on another "mini tour" and told us all kinds of additional cool things. He was also hilarious. He called himself the WB lot's "third most famous Clint." He honestly made our day. We didn't expect ANY of that.

Their customer service is top notch too! Our first guide didn't take our group for a photo op that was supposed to be part of the tour, and when we got dropped off at the next section for the walk through, my friend casually mentioned it to one of the other tour guides who asked us how we enjoyed the tour, and she was SO apologetic and radioed another guide who came and picked us up in a private golf cart and drove us back to get the photo, and then he took us around on another "mini tour" and told us all kinds of additional cool things. He was also hilarious. He called himself the WB lot's "third most famous Clint." He honestly made our day. We didn't expect ANY of that.

Yes, they are. I was having trouble getting a cab the morning I was going (the hotel couldn't get any to come up), and I had to call twice to push my time back a bit. they were so accommodating - told me not to worry at all, that they'd make it work no matter what. Major thanks to the hotel Bell Captain at the Hilton Universal too who ended up taking us in his personal car down to the WB tour. He really saved the day!

Note: I work for Hilton and have to say that since I am mentioning one of our hotels.

Aren't you coming in May? The monorail will be back open. It's only shutting down for a couple weeks.

Oh, yay! I don't know why what I read made it sound like it would be down for a long time. Or maybe I'm just used to WDW's prolonged closures…our poor MK train still isn't running :sad2:

I can't wait to see this, thanks!

Ummmm…I'm a crazy Disney history nerd! I've read multiple books and did both the KTTK and Marceline to Main Street tours in WDW. I ended up crying during both of them when they talked about Walt and Roy :sad:

One thing I'm most sad about this trip is that they haven't restarted the tours because way back in the pre-shutdown era, I was totally planning on doing Walk in Walt's Footsteps.

So thank you, I will most assuredly take the time to stand and appreciate this :love:

I also recommend trying to be at Carsland when the lights come on at least once (Also great during Halloween time). Especially if you watch the movie before your trip.

Oh really? Do they do something special? I guess I don't really want to know the spoilers but I'll try to do this! Do the lights just go on when it gets dark or at sunset or something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter