Okay…who wants to help me plan my first trip to DLR/CA?

Great thread…especially for us soon-to-be Disneyland First Timers! If I may ask some questions here, I’d appreciate any advice! Similar time frame as buzz’s trip… Arrive in Burbank to get daughter settled in (She’s attending the UTLA Media College this summer.)…1 or 2 days there then head to Anaheim…Hilton Home2Suites for at least 4 nights…then back up to the North or Northwest side for 2 nights.

Got to see the Pacific But not sure where to go. Also… indulge in a great seafood meal…Hope to tour a bit of Hollywood…hit up some record stores…(Those I do know a bit about.)

Not looking forward to the traffic challenges but I drive in Houston’s traffic frequently…so LA is probably only 5 or 6 times worse! 😱😱😱
Definitely doing DL and CA-likely two days each with a hop or three. DL is my #bucketlist trip…so it’s finally gonna happen. ( Gotta go to CA anyway…soooo…) 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks!
Robert

There's only really one record store to visit within L.A., and that is the fabulous Amoeba Records, who are located on Hollywood Blvd. Just be aware of timeframes when you go in though, if you are wandering around the store the hours tend to go rather quickly ..... :)

Hi - jumping in with a quick question also- we plan to do a similar trip but I was thinking about staying at the Hilton Santa Monica for a couple nights and going to the pier one night. I grew up in LA/San Fran area but it has been forever since I have been back. My daughter wants to go to the pier and it used to be decent- although I prefer Manhattan and Newport beaches. Would it not be recommended to go to the pier at night now- we would likely be walking back to the hotel. Maybe OP can post a trip report when you return- we don’t go until August!

Maybe OP can post a trip report when you return- we don’t go until August!

OP here. Sadly, we have to cancel our trip because my DD had an emergent appendectomy yesterday. Needless to say we are heartbroken. With the way our schedules are, we are going to have to wait until next May and try again.

I guess the bright side is that hopefully we'll now be able to experience POTC, F! and maybe Early mornings and Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour will be back by then?

Good luck to everyone planning their first trips this year and come back after with tips and tricks you learn along the way!

OP here. Sadly, we have to cancel our trip because my DD had an emergent appendectomy yesterday. Needless to say we are heartbroken. With the way our schedules are, we are going to have to wait until next May and try again.

I guess the bright side is that hopefully we'll now be able to experience POTC, F! and maybe Early mornings and Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour will be back by then?

Good luck to everyone planning their first trips this year and come back after with tips and tricks you learn along the way!
Good vibes and fast recovery to your DD.

Hi - jumping in with a quick question also- we plan to do a similar trip but I was thinking about staying at the Hilton Santa Monica for a couple nights and going to the pier one night. I grew up in LA/San Fran area but it has been forever since I have been back. My daughter wants to go to the pier and it used to be decent- although I prefer Manhattan and Newport beaches. Would it not be recommended to go to the pier at night now- we would likely be walking back to the hotel. Maybe OP can post a trip report when you return- we don’t go until August!

Loved visiting Santa Monica shops and the pier when I was younger. As east coasters, we hadn't been to LA for about 10 years, so as a family of 5, we wanted to go to Santa Monica again in the Summer of 2021.

I honestly wish we didn't go, it really wasn't worth it. Homeless population was crazy insane. We parked on the 3rd level of the Parking Garage near the Pier and decided to take the elevator. As the elevator doors opened, a homeless man was sleeping in there and it smelled horrible in there. Off to the stairs we go..... Felt "dirty" everywhere we went and the walk to the pier smelled of urine the whole walk there. Once at the Pier, it's a weird vibe now a days, not what I used to remember. Again as east coasters, we wanted to see the Pacific Ocean up close and weren't planning a separate beach day. Asked about 5 people on how to walk down to the beach from the Pier area and never got a good answer. We finally stumbled onto to stairs to beach on the far left side of the Pier. Once we got down to the Pier to walk onto the beach, it was discussing and so disappointing. Saw about 3-4 empty needles and syringes on the beach right underneath the Pier. That pretty much cut our trip there short and I didn't want anyone to accidently step on something dangerous left on the beach.

Also I believe I read a report a few weeks ago that Santa Monica was voted as one of the most dangerous and least safest cities to live in California recently. It was ranked 6th or 7th behind Compton.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter