• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OK ... If you booked a GUARANTEE CABIN ... share the news of what you got!!

Please respond accordingly - your responses will be visible to all!

• Yes - I'm a repeat DCL Castaway Club member

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got a 12 (or same cat as Gty)

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got an 11 (or +1 cat over Gty)

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got a 10 (or +2 cat over Gty)

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got a 9 window (or +3 cat over Gty)

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got an 8 window (or +4 cat over Gty)

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got an 7 veranda (or +5 cat over Gty)

• Booked a 12 Gty - and got a 6 or better (or 6+ cat over Gty)

• OUR assignment was in a GOOD/OK location on the ship

• OUR cabin assigment was in an BAD location on the ship

• Did you book through Disney? YES

• We did NOT book through Disney - we used a TA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anymore votes? I got a catagory 11 and I'm a 4 time repeat patron. We never tried one of these guarantee reservations before and our sailing is still selling wide open with lots of space and 30 days to go. Oh yeah... I would consider my location to be fairly bad. Far forward and high. However, technically we saved $1100 to $750 depending on whether you apply the rebooking discount we had which would have been good for a catagory 11 or better. Folks w/o a rebooking discount would have saved a true $1100. And $1100 is about 25% which is considerable on a quad with a 2 and 5 year old. $750 is more like 18% in savings.

At any rate... final votes please and I'll run a last summary since we got our assignment. The only change left is if we get reassigned prior to embarkation - as I've heard of many others who HAVE had 2nd reassignments - even at the terminal!

:confused3

Well good luck to you Captaincrash!

Wherever you end up on the ship I'm totally jealous! I'm at home with a newborn and will be unable to cruise for a couple years!

Have fun!

I booked a gty 12 for a family of four for the 11 night cruise. I just checked online and have a cat 11 room. Has anyone had a cat upgrade after getting a room assignment? Captaincrash, keep checking for your room mine just went up a few days ago! See you on the ship! :sunny:

GoofyGuy777 said:
Hi Bill,

You could call DCL and see if they can switch to another Cat.11? The split bathrooms start at cat 10.

One of two things can happen when you go to port:

1) A surprise upgrade is given to you at no cost

2) You can ask if there are any upgrades available?
-at this time either you will be quoted a price for an upgrade or given one if you are very lucky.
-or you will be directed to the managers desk where you can inquire on the cost for an upgrade.

Hope this helps you. Good Luck!!!

Steve

I am going to try calling DCL tomorrow to try switching my location! What a great idea! Even it it does not work - thanks!

In the mean while - any more contributions from anyone? If YOU booked a guarantee rate - vote accordingly on all the questions that apply to you.

Cheers!

12524_9.jpg

I booked a Cat 12 and we got the lengthwise room 6507 (Cat11) I haven't been in a lengthwise room yet, so I am looking forward (it's forward, HA HA) to the new room design (new to us, it's always been there) :cool1:

WldWcnWmn said:
I booked a Cat 12 and we got the lengthwise room 6507 (Cat11) I haven't been in a lengthwise room yet, so I am looking forward (it's forward, HA HA) to the new room design (new to us, it's always been there) :cool1:

6.Deck%206.gif

Your cabin is an interesting one. It has a corridor running BEHIND it to serve some other pool souls in our identical type of cat 11 cabins. So, I would also like to say your cabin is about 20-30 feet further back than ours .. which is not enough to make a difference on a ship the length of several football fields - so welcome to the roller coaster ride! LOL!

12524_5.jpg

The Great Baboo said:
What is a GTY cabin? We just booked our 1st cruise w/ DU and since we requested connecting staterooms, we have cabins already assigned to us = cat.8 #6024 & 6026.....is there a chance we coould get better connecting cabins when we pay the cruise off? :teeth:

I want to know what a GTY cabin is too. We have 2 connecting cat 10.

Donna2105 said:
I want to know what a GTY cabin is too. We have 2 connecting cat 10.

This is a GUARANTEED CATAGORY (number 12-3). FOr example... you might look at a regular catagory 9 for say $2500. And Disney will offer a GUARANTEE 9 for say $2000. You save $500 because you are allowing Disney to put you into ANY cabin they choose that is at least a catagory 9 or BETTER.

No - typically, they only offer catagory 12 guarantee rates, but ocassionally you will see a window guarantee of cat 9; or you might see a vernada guarantee of say catagory 7. The hazard of doing this is you might get a less desirable location - like under or near a dance floor - or far forward or rear-ward where ships' motion is more pronounced in high seas - thus exposing your party to potential sea-sickness. BUT ALSO, this method is a sure fire way to potentially snag some huge bargains. It's a gamble. Except - there are no cabins in catagory 12 that take 4 (QUAD) and DCL allow folks to book a guaranteed cat 12 level. Thus - when booked a cat 12 guarantee I KNEW I would save a minimum of $750-1100. It's only $750 for me because I already had a 10% rebooking discount for booking while ON a sailing. However, most folks do NOT have a rebooking discount - so their savings would indeed be $1100 if they also got an 11.

Makes sense?

2002-12-30.gif

News you can use... MAYBE...

We called yesterday about the possibility of swapping our assigned 11 for another 11 elsewhere on the ship. I already knew the DCL web site showed no availability on quads except for 9-6-4... and triples for 12-4. We needed a quad. SO I called with the HOPE something would be available.

They told me - they could offer me a cayagory 9 for only $220 more. I paused and thought... "wait a minute, a catagory 9 is $2,000 more than what I paid for the 12 guarantee".... so I asked - is that the per person cost - and the rep said "NO, it is the total cost for the switch". So I said - I'll TAKE it!

Well... that's not the end of the story... he kept me on the line for more than 10 minutes and kept returning to say - "hold on, I'm trying to get this settled" repeatedly. And as it turns out they had that $220 price coming up over and over agin as available and OK but "inventory control" was not approving it as they wanted $975 for the switch. A veranda was $1300 more. Well... I know how these things work as we draw towards the end. And buying in ADvanCE is usually a higher price - and the $220 was the sort of price we might see at the pier. I said so much to the rep and he quickly agreed. But he could NOT give me the catagory 9 (in a great location on the ship - quiet with no obvious noise threats adjacent). So I asked for a supervisor.

The supervisor seemed to be ready for an earfull from me - but I am simply NOT that sort of abrasive complainer - but I am tenacious. I held the supervisor on the line several minutes walking through the situation and my POV as well as what I suspected was theirs - and in the end - GOT NOTHING. Oh well... the last thing I asked for was possible flagging for consideration for a cabin change in the days ahead. AND that I would be happy to pay if not $1000 or so. We parted on fair terms.

SO - I suspect they had pier side upgrade pricing tiers on the screen as $220 is clearly NOT NORMAL with a few days to go. It is routine to gouge on pricing in the final days before sailing - and then in the final hours to run a fire sale to raise revenue from those alreading boarding with their unsold capacity. Seems pretty simple, eh?

I am again hoping for a last minute or hour courtesy upgrade. A little more so now that I have been disappointed by DCL inventory control and their reservation staff. I think I'll be cjecking again monday and tuesday so they will be less likely to forget about me and my mild disappointment.

NOTE - we're really not BITTER - just mildly disappointed. Maybe something nice will still come of it in the days to come. We DO love the "Mouse".

Oh well.... :confused3

disappointed-bongo.jpg

I will recover - and have a WOnderful cruise either way... Yaaa HOOOO!!!​

Well... 5 days to go and no upgrade.... Oh well...

At least I got a good hotel through Hotwire - the 3 star Wingate by MCO for $46 + $12 in fees. Booking off hotwire for the same property and date starts at $78 + taxes of maybe $8. SO I estimate my rate totals $58 versus $86 for a potential $28 savings. This is about 1/3rd off the best internet rate outside of Hotwire.

Now if I could only get a better cabin on the Wonder..... :confused3

114/2836​

captaincrash said:
Now if I could only get a better cabin on the Wonder..... :confused3

But, Captaincrash - You DID get a better cabin on the Wonder! You paid for a 12, and you already have an 11! We were thrilled to be sailing with a $1400 FREE upgrade in July - window or not!!

Have a great cruise!! Remember - Expect nothing, then anything you get is more than you expected!!! :sunny:

...you never know.

Or maybe there will be a great upgrade available to you at the port.

I really think once you get there, it won't matter. :banana: You're going on a DIsney cruise.

Thanks for your hard work in trying to make a little sense out of 12 gty and upgrades. I've enjoyed the thread!

:cool1:

Enjoy your cruise!

Captain crash - I'm sending you a bit of pixie dust to help you get an upgrade or a really good deal at the pier ;

:wizard: :tinker: pixiedust: :tinker: pixiedust: :wizard:

You have put a fantastic thread together - you deserve a good holiday now ...enjoy ! :yay:

You know, we just booked a Cat. 6 for a 3-day in May 2007 on the DCL website. I tried to pick a specific stateroom, but the only option available to me was GTY. So we are booked for a Cat. 6 GTY. I'm new to the DIS and this thread has been very enlightening about what that actually means. Thanks!

So now I have to wait all the way til late April to find out where we are placed. I hope it isn't a bad location! Anyone know why they might be locking out the room choices for that category so early? I booked mid August 2006 for May 6, 2007. Is it conceivable that the category 6 are filling up enough that they want to sell off the few that are in the less desirable spots at GTY?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...

... and YES, I know I got an 11 when i booked a guarantee 12. BUT for a quad that WAS the minimum I could have gotten. And I know my family will have a great time from now (precruise) all the way through next year as we look back on the old pictures. We know...

BUT as you can all tell from MY posture on this - that I sort of wanted either a better catagory IF it was a less then optimal location.... or I'd be tolerant of an 11 in a better location. SO - I am just "OK" with how it is so far. And being offerred a window for $220 only to have it denied - was a tease. And you can ask my spouse - I am not partial to being teased by anyone (except her :thumbsup2 ). So - on the serious side - I still am saving $750 against my on board rebooking discount - and otherwise it would have represented an $1100 savings. Nothing to sneeze at. Shoot - the $1100 is enough to sail for 4 nites with my family of 4 on Carnival from Los Angeles in the off season (January).

BUT at any rate..... trust me .... I'm a happy guy just to be going - even if it were in the engine room with a coal shovel (for me).....

jenjen3574 said:
You know, we just booked a Cat. 6 for a 3-day in May 2007 on the DCL website. I tried to pick a specific stateroom, but the only option available to me was GTY. So we are booked for a Cat. 6 GTY. I'm new to the DIS and this thread has been very enlightening about what that actually means. Thanks!

So now I have to wait all the way til late April to find out where we are placed. I hope it isn't a bad location! Anyone know why they might be locking out the room choices for that category so early? I booked mid August 2006 for May 6, 2007. Is it conceivable that the category 6 are filling up enough that they want to sell off the few that are in the less desirable spots at GTY?

Well...

for what a cat 6 costs I would not tolerate a marginal cabin location. Now - a guarantee 6 should have been several 100 less then a regular assigned 6. Now - what might be undesirable in location without specifying any cabin numbers? Anything in the extreme far forward area for one as these ar esubject to ships motion and hence can get you seasick. Aside from that - I would not want anything adjacent to; below or above a dance floor - like the Rockin Bar on the Magic! Anything else - is a case by case consideration.

But - you might just trade a bad location for a cabin catagory bump to say a 5 or 4?

OK... I gotta run now...

otterrun.gif

Thanks everyone for the compliments and encouraging words! DCL always delivers a kick in the pants memorable experience! How can I possibly be seriously glum? I am NOT! I'm a happy patron - no two ways about it!

OK...

Here we go with a summary of the results so far...

We've had 3,190 viewings, 55 postings (many from me) and 119 votes on the poll... plus a couple replies that were written in (no votes representing). I have carefully reread the thread and where anyone talked about their assignment results I cross checked if they voted. I have noted 5 additions to the tally of 87 catagory assignment "votes" and 2 additions to the secondary questions. This includes the 2nd cabin result for the friends that had a matching upgrade to 11 as SSOceanLover; PoohsMum with the cat 4 score as a 1st timer and cat 10 as CC; RubyCAM as 1st timers getting a 0 cat shift; Plus I've noted the changes in Castaway status for Stampinshauna where the cat 11 was as a 1st time cruiser and the 9 was as a CC member. The adjusted results are as follows:

SUMMARY said:
animation%20v2.0%20websafe.gif

So what are the odds - in a totally non-scientific - uncertified - and statistically insignificant way? We're at 3,109 viewings and 119 contributors and 87 catagory votes plus 5 "catagory vote adjustments" reported... and this is getting statistically meaningful at 92 cabin votes.

Well - if you start in a 12 then the odds of getting a catagory OR the odds of gaining the following catagory improvements are....

12 (+0) = 16.30%
11 (+1) = 21.74%
10 (+2) = 20.65%
9 (+3) = 26.09%
8 (+4) = 7.61%
7 (+5) = 2.17%
6+(6+)= 5.43%

Total accounted for = 99.99%​

Put another way ... the odds for a veranda or 5+ catagories are 7.60%; and for a window or 3 or 4 catagories = 33.70%; and for an inside cabin that is above a 12 or +1 or 2 catagories = 43.39%. It looks like it is an 83.7% chance for something better than a catagory 12 -or- better than the level at which you reserved. IE - you reserve a catagory 6 guarantee and GET a "7" or higher.

ALSO... here is the data if YOU are a repeat customer (Castaway Club) and indicated so...

Cat 12 .... 7 of 15 were CC (46.67%)
Cat 11 .... 9 of 20 were CC (45.00%)
Cat 10 ....10 of 19 were CC (52.63%) split bath
Cat 9 ....10 of 24 were CC (41.67%) window
Cat 8 .... 3 of 7 were CC (42.86%)
Cat 7 .... 1 of 2 were CC (50.00%) veranda
Cat 6+ ... 0 of 5 were CC ( 0% )

Only 40 of 92 who voted what they were assigned AND admitted they were CC means that among the whole voting group ~ 43.48% were CC members. SO... if any given catagory had more then 43.48% with CC members than this was an above average possibility. IE... in a catagory 9, 8 and especially in 6 or better we had a lower than average representation of CC members. While in catagories 12, 11, 10 and 7 we had an above average representation of CC members.

Or put another way.... the 40 CC members seem to have the following probabilities for an cabin assignment.... and the 52 non-CC members enjoy the following probabilities:

Castaway Club Non-Castaway Club

Cat 12 ... 17.50% Cat 12 ... 15.38%
Cat 11 ... 22.50% Cat 11 ... 21.15%
Cat 10 ... 25.00% Cat 10 ... 17.31%
Cat 9 ... 25.00% Cat 9 ... 26.92%
Cat 8 ... 7.50% Cat 8 ... 7.70%
Cat 7 ... 2.50% Cat 7 ... 1.92%
Cat 6+ ... 0% Cat 6+ ... 9.62%

Comparing the odds for various cabin catagories broken out for CC and non-CC members shows that for a....

catagory 12 ... a CC member is 2.12%+ and 13.78% more likely to get this than non-CC
catagory 11 ... a CC member is 1.35%+ and 6.38% more likely to get this than non-CC
catagory 10 ... a CC member is 7.69%+ and 44.43% more likely to get this than non-CC
catagory 9 ... a CC member is -1.92% and 7.13% less likely to get this than non-CC
catagory 8 ... a CC member is -0.20% and 2.60% LESS likely to get this than non-CC
catagory 7 ... a CC member is -0.58% and 30.20% LESS likely to get this than non-CC
catagory 6+... a CC member is 100% LESS likely to get this than non-CC

I'm not very impressed by the catagory 6+ implications for CC members. Of course ... this is all fairly unscientific and more educated guess then science.

At least we now have some developing statisitical significance and "indication" here... and the good news simply is that its' not all that bad. Especially with FOUR of 92 DIS folks voting they has a BAD cabin assignment. That translates into a 4.34% of getting an undesirable cabin assignment. As a result some folks posted that they went lateral on their guarantee assignment by buying an upgrade and new location. AND if you're a CC member there is an 83.50% chance of getting better than a catagory 12 assignment. :thumbsup2 And of course, non-CC members can look forward to an 84.62% chance for a catgory 11 or better! PLUS the 1st timers have the ONLY chance for a 6+ catagory or veranda assignment from 12 guarantee! :confused3 Loyalty pays....? Not quite!

rot_animation.gif

Our recent September sailing resulted in a catagory 11 assignment with no pier-side upgrade opportunities in spite of a very lightly populated ship. We heard that there were less then 300 kids and about 2000 people aboard. Compare that to the PAX load coming abopard after our sailing with supposedly 2600 PAX!

We've never booked a guarantee cabin before (that I can recall... sometimes I think I might be having a "senior moment" sometimes). At any rate - with 3,109 visits and 125 responses I think we have a working impression of what goes on. Maybe if we get some interesting changes in the total votes I'll resummarize this - otherwise I think it's time to let this thread fade.

BTW... for giving up cabin location selection I estimate we saved $1100+ as we only got a catagory 11. Which is the minimum they could have given us as we are a party of 4. So - we really were guaranteed a winning opportunity here. And we booked fairly close to the actual sailing date (90 days out). I would have been very pleasantly surprised IF we had gotten a window .... or dare I dream ... a veranda. I see no hope for better than a catagory 7 as a CC member though as no CC member reports ever having received such an upgrade. Sigh.... I do wish loyalty paid with DCL... but sadly it does not seem so. If any DCL folks are seeing this... it would do well to rebalance the distribution of cabins to give your loyal patrons who have likely spent 10,000+ or 10s of 1000s with the Mouse. Many of us could be LIFETIME fans... and we do appredciate all tokens of affection for our patronage - like the nice welcome gifts for CC folks in the cabin. :thumbsup2

OH well... that's how it goes... and lkike they tell the kids in Pre-school: "Ya get what Ya get and don't throw a fit".... or so my 5 year old quips every now and then!

Ok, I just voted. We booked gty 12 and got a category 10 just a few days ago for our Nov. 12th sailing. Pretty happy with that!

We reserved almost 16 months ago so we got an awesome deal. If you compare the amount we paid versus the amout is costs to book a cat. 10 right now we saved $1400!! Amazing!

So glad we got the split bath. Room 2633. Seems to be an okay location. We might hear a few noises but who cares- this is our first cruise!!!

When you get a gty that means that you will get "that catagory" or better...so if you state a cat of 6 you will not be booted down the only way to go is up.
Robin :)

Got Disney said:
When you get a gty that means that you will get "that catagory" or better...so if you state a cat of 6 you will not be booted down the only way to go is up.
Robin :)

Correct, however for some folks the cabin LOCATION is just as important as the CATAGORY. And with a guarantee rate you are giving up the power of choice on location. There are cabins that are considered quite noisey, distant or subject to greater ships motion. If any of these considerations is a concern then a guarantee may not be the way to go. My spouse is a little particular about location - and yet we tried it this past sailing (1st time we did so in 16 sailings). I would say, yeah we saved $750 with an 11... and most folks would have saved $1100 with this same cabin except we had a rebooking discount of 10% which was good on an 11 but not a 12... hence the $350 difference... but our cabin location was not all that great. I would call it BAD in fact. It was way forward to the extreme and although it was perfectly quiet - we we concerned with ships' motion and fortunately - on the 11 days embarked we had a managable situation. The seas were mostly smooth and we were happy to have saved $750 net. Our next two sailings now booked are not guarantee rates though (one Disney and the other not). :confused3

If I were you though and location was not an issue - then the guarantee rate is a great way to "gamble" with a DCL ship that has no casino! And the odds of losing are low or ZERO. IE, losing means booking a 12 Gty and getting a bad 12. I think there are NO BAD 12 cabins. They're all aft - and if so that is OK for motion. Noise is another issue - but I think it's OK aft ... except for engine vibration. All the major noise issues (Discos, kids clubs) are clustered forward I think. We've only has personal experience with the Rockin Bar Disco as a serious disturbance to our cabin.

I say go for it - gamble a little and gaining anything better then a 12 means "winning" 100s if not a 1000+ in savings! AND if you're a 1st time patron then the odds seem to favor you getting a BETTER assignment. DCL apparently uses guarantee rates to hook a new patron into repeating with a spiff off a guarantee!

Hi
IF I understand right ( nor I'm I a bit slow lol..lol..).
For our coming cruise feb 07 we have a cat6 deck 6 don't quite remember the number we got all that number of deck , room number ....while booking on board at the DCL reservation desk does this mean I still might get upgraded to another categorie or is it sure I'll keep this one , anyway it would be fine since I notice when I booked that I'll be right across a laundry room ( cvould be practical ) or if the upgrade it'll be at least a cat 5 or 4 could be good .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter