ok, i think i can clear the confusion about changes w/dining plan

ShellyMouse

I love Baloo!!
i just called dd, the cm checked with her supervisor. she says there are NO changes being made to the ddp. she said whatever you booked your plan to be, thats what it will be.
1 ts w/dessert
1 cs w/ dessert
1 snack.

shoooooo, that was a close one....i was already having nightmares thinking i wouldn't get my choc cake with choc frosting!! :mad:

Between this and waiting for the MGM character news I am on a roller coaster, or it seems to be. Thanks for calling, I too want my desert on vacation.

Thanks for calling ShellyMouse. :)

About the CM's comment that "whatever you booked your plan to be, that's what it will be" - wdw already showed that that's not necessarily the case: last Oct. they eliminated the dessert with breakfast, and it had been included when people booked the plan.

Just got off the phone & she's confirming what ShellyMouse said that it's absolutely untrue. I guess time will tell. Most of the time you find out information on the boards first.

The confirmation helps - but they could still change at any time, as they did when they removed the ability to get a dessert for breakfast. That one sort of makes sense - who orders a dessert with breakfast? Does any restaurant offer a dessert with breakfast or were dining plan users showing up for breakfast and demanding their dessert? I can actually see them seeking to cut costs by substituting a snack credit for TS dessert. (If it does happen, and they are indeed implementing such a change to cut costs, they won't allow snack credits to be used for TS dessert. If it's not to cut costs and is to provide flexibility as to where and when you eat dessert, they will allow TS dessert for a snack credit.)

If they are actually planning on changing the plan in April, I could see why they are not telling anyone now. Just think how many people are going to book a vacation between now and then. If they posted it now, it could change people's minds about getting the plan. I know we are really hoping that it doesn't change.

That's very true, IL... If the changes are going to be implemented in April, they'll probably update the information CMs have to give out to guests just beforehand. The only way to ensure that you won't be subject to any changes in the dining plan is to not purchase it.

There's already frustration in my family about the change to CRT. If this change happens, there could be anger especially since we were told that by paying for it in January, we protected ourselves against any price increases before the trip happens.

Hmmmmm. this sounds really interesting, if I am reading this correctly,
this means that we could book crt for just one credit from our dinning
plan, as we booked in Sept. 2005 for Dec. 2006 and crt was only one
credit at the time of booking, is this correct or not.

Just curious - would people really cancel the dining plan over a change like this? (If it were true) It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Am I missing something?

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Am I missing something?
I think it all comes down to aversion to change. Generally, we vacationers want to be able to make our reservations, plan our trip, and then have everything happen as we expected it to. Folks don't like flight schedule changes. Folks don't like how hurricanes disrupt things. Folks don't like when prices go up, or specifics of any sort change. Unfortunately, the only way to minimize surprises like those is with more money, which is pretty-much the opposite of what we vacationers typically want. :confused3

sammie01 said:
Hmmmmm. this sounds really interesting, if I am reading this correctly,
this means that we could book crt for just one credit from our dinning
plan, as we booked in Sept. 2005 for Dec. 2006 and crt was only one
credit at the time of booking, is this correct or not.

That's what we wanted to find out, but it looks like a no go. The reason why people are upset about the removal of dessert for an extra snack credit is becuase they bought the plan based in part because dessert came with TS. A $2-3 snack extra snack is not equal in value to a $5-7 dessert. Plus, there is some frustration and anger because we paid for the dining plan based on what it offered at the time. To change it now is deceptive and misleading.

I'm not canceling it. But I was sort of looking forward to trying some desserts. It is not a done deal, nothing's been confirmed, and since I'm not cancelling it, why worry. But it's interesting to speculate about changes.

Sleeping Jedi Beauty said:
That's what we wanted to find out, but it looks like a no go. The reason why people are upset about the removal of dessert for an extra snack credit is becuase they bought the plan based in part because dessert came with TS. A $2-3 snack extra snack is not equal in value to a $5-7 dessert. Plus, there is some frustration and anger because we paid for the dining plan based on what it offered at the time. To change it now is deceptive and misleading.

So why not order a more expensive appetizer or entree. The dining plan is $37.99 per day, correct? So as long as you spend at least that much each day you're getting your money's worth. I don't understand how a dessert verses a snack makes that much of a difference since there's a way to make up the cost difference with the other food.

Well that really goes to a big problem with the dining plan; the fact that many folks feel driven to "get their money's worth" as if it were a zero-sum game. That's one reason why my wife's really pushing me to stop considering it for next year. It either is worth it just for what it is (two meals and a snack each day) or its not. The details (appetizer included or not; dessert included or not; certain menu items excluded or not) shouldn't matter enough to make a difference, and if they do then we're better off not purchasing the dining plan.

Regardless, my wife figures that with the plan I'd be driven to eat things that I wouldn't normally eat, just because I was brought up to focus on the money instead of focusing on the quality of the experience. Wife knows best. We'll probably steer clear of this quagmire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter