Ohana value if not able to eat pork?

Rosanne

DIS Veteran
There are four in my party. None eat pork or shrimp and one is is almost vegetarian but does eat fish. looking over the menu pork is featured (as makes sense for Polynesian). We are all considered Disney adults (although two are 11 and 16) so the the cost seems to be about $46 each plus tax and tip.

We are staying at the Polynesian and I have booked Ohana for 9:25 pm in mid August. My questions are..

1. Is there a vegetarian option and if so, when is the right time to request it?
2. If there isn't a vegetarian option are there enough side items without pork that one could feel they ate a full meal?
3. at 9:25 in mid August will there likely be any firework type show visible from Ohana that we would actually see while eating?
4. Is the experience at Ohana itself pretty cool and special regardless of if we can eat much or see any fireworks?

I've only walked in the Poly once on a previous trip to see what it was like (hence our staying there this trip) and never into Ohana so I really don't know what to expect. I realize that the food choices are perfectly fitting for the theme so I'm not complaining about it I just wanted to weigh whether it is wise for us to spend about $250 eating there with our personal meal restrictions. If the experience is pretty awesome regardless of food or if the food part is key.

TIA!

If there isn't a vegetarian option are there enough side items without pork that one could feel they ate a full meal?.. at 9:25 in mid August will there likely be any firework type show visible from Ohana that we would actually see while eating?..Is the experience at Ohana itself pretty cool and special regardless of if we can eat much or see any fireworks?..I just wanted to weigh whether it is wise for us to spend about $250 eating there with our personal meal restrictions. If the experience is pretty awesome regardless of food or if the food part is key.
Ohana dinner has a nice enough ambiance (and a few kids' activities), but it is a restaurant where food is the top attraction. I wouldn't take a vegetarian there, personally, as the restaurant's top menu item is its array of flavored meats. Pork is no longer on the menu- the one you looked at must have been out of date. Right now the MK fireworks are scheduled for 9pm, so you won't see anything unless MK changes its entertainment schedule.

Last edited:
We recently had a lovely vegetarian meal at Ohana. We just told the waiter when he came over and he took care of us. No need to call earlier. Way more food than we could eat, including a wonderful tofu veggie plate. Interesting that we probably had more vegetables here than any other meal all week. :)
I can't speak to the fireworks.

There are four in my party. None eat pork or shrimp and one is is almost vegetarian but does eat fish. looking over the menu pork is featured (as makes sense for Polynesian). We are all considered Disney adults (although two are 11 and 16) so the the cost seems to be about $46 each plus tax and tip.

We are staying at the Polynesian and I have booked Ohana for 9:25 pm in mid August. My questions are..

1. Is there a vegetarian option and if so, when is the right time to request it?
2. If there isn't a vegetarian option are there enough side items without pork that one could feel they ate a full meal?
3. at 9:25 in mid August will there likely be any firework type show visible from Ohana that we would actually see while eating?
4. Is the experience at Ohana itself pretty cool and special regardless of if we can eat much or see any fireworks?

I've only walked in the Poly once on a previous trip to see what it was like (hence our staying there this trip) and never into Ohana so I really don't know what to expect. I realize that the food choices are perfectly fitting for the theme so I'm not complaining about it I just wanted to weigh whether it is wise for us to spend about $250 eating there with our personal meal restrictions. If the experience is pretty awesome regardless of food or if the food part is key.

TIA!

I can't comment on worth as only you can decide. We enjoy 'Ohana and certain family members don't eat shrimp [allergy] or steak [they just don't like it]. There are pork dumplings that are served as an appetizer, but unless the menu has changed since last week, that was the only pork we were served. The main course featured chicken, shrimp, and steak. There is a vegetarian option and you can read a review of it/see photos here: https://www.moderntravelprofessionals.com/single-post/2016/08/12/Vegetarian-Eating-at-Ohana. You can call ahead of time or simply let them know when being seated that someone is a vegetarian.

The HEA fireworks are at 9:00 pm right now, so unless they push them to a later time during the summer, you won't be viewing them. Also, the only people in 'Ohana that have a clear view of the fireworks are those seated next to the windows, and those tables go fast as people request then wait to be seated at one so they can have a fireworks view.

We recently had a lovely vegetarian meal at Ohana. We just told the waiter when he came over and he took care of us. No need to call earlier. Way more food than we could eat, including a wonderful tofu veggie plate. Interesting that we probably had more vegetables here than any other meal all week. :)
I can't speak to the fireworks.

That is good to know. Although three of us are willing to eat beef and chicken we usually eat vegetarian at home so perhaps we will just request vegetarian for all of us to simplify. The tofu veggie plate sounds awesome and we all would be happy to eat a lot of vegetables! Thank you!

I can't comment on worth as only you can decide. We enjoy 'Ohana and certain family members don't eat shrimp [allergy] or steak [they just don't like it]. There are pork dumplings that are served as an appetizer, but unless the menu has changed since last week, that was the only pork we were served. The main course featured chicken, shrimp, and steak. There is a vegetarian option and you can read a review of it/see photos here: https://www.moderntravelprofessionals.com/single-post/2016/08/12/Vegetarian-Eating-at-Ohana. You can call ahead of time or simply let them know when being seated that someone is a vegetarian.

The HEA fireworks are at 9:00 pm right now, so unless they push them to a later time during the summer, you won't be viewing them. Also, the only people in 'Ohana that have a clear view of the fireworks are those seated next to the windows, and those tables go fast as people request then wait to be seated at one so they can have a fireworks view.

I'm so happy to hear about the vegetarian option. Regarding the fireworks, if they start at 9:00 perhaps we can catch some of them outdoors before heading inside for our Ohana reservation. Thank you!

I'm so happy to hear about the vegetarian option. Regarding the fireworks, if they start at 9:00 perhaps we can catch some of them outdoors before heading inside for our Ohana reservation. Thank you!

Actually you won't be able to do that either. You need to check in at Ohana around 9:05.

One option you haven't considered is the Twilight Feast... a room-service dining option for people staying at the Poly. We are a family of four and it is a staple of our vacations when we stay at the Poly. It is basically the entire Ohana menu at a cheaper price and with "more" food. We order two adult portions for our family of four and end up with leftovers every time. (Our kids are 8 and 6). I would see if they can replace the shrimp and pork options with more steak and chicken options. Can't guarantee they would do it, but if you are concerned about the price, this option is MUCH cheaper and you get everything, including the bread, butter, and juice!

Do they allow any buffer if your running late?
We arrived 20 minutes late to Ohana once and were cheerfully seated.

Disney Dining told me that WDW restaurants routinely allow a 15-minute grace period for people running late. Given the erratic nature of transportation and crowds at WDW, that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
We arrived 20 minutes late to Ohana once and were cheerfully seated.

Disney Dining told me that WDW restaurants routinely allow a 15-minute grace period for people running late. Given the erratic nature of transportation and crowds at WDW, that makes perfect sense.
Then you got pixie dusted that day. I always advise people to be early as well. When you make an ADR on the reservation page it asks you to check in 10 minutes before your scheduled time. It says nothing about a grace period. I would never count on something unofficial.

Then you got pixie dusted that day. I always advise people to be early as well. When you make an ADR on the reservation page it asks you to check in 10 minutes before your scheduled time. It says nothing about a grace period. I would never count on something unofficial.
Like I said, Disney Dining told me it was policy to seat guests who arrive within 15 minutes of their ADRs. I see no reason to disbelieve their statement, which has been backed up by my experience. It's no different than the 15 minute window you get to arrive after your FP hour. Can you imagine the headaches they'd have if they turned away everyone who showed up 10 minutes late? No, they don't want to go there, and why should they? Disney values customer service. Guests are under no obligation to show up early.

Like I said, Disney Dining told me it was policy to seat guests who arrive within 15 minutes of their ADRs. I see no reason to disbelieve their statement, which has been backed up by my experience. It's no different than the 15 minute window you get to arrive after your FP hour. Can you imagine the headaches they'd have if they turned away everyone who showed up 10 minutes late? No, they don't want to go there, and why should they? Disney values customer service. Guests are under no obligation to show up early.
Well, Disney does ask you to arrive early when you make your reservation and check the box that says "I agree" to the terms of making a reservation. But, okay.

Well, Disney does ask you to arrive early when you make your reservation and check the box that says "I agree" to the terms of making a reservation. But, okay.
And nowhere is it documented that you can be 15 minutes late.

It's also widely misunderstood that an ADR is more like a reserved spot in line than a table actually reserved for that time. Kinda like FP+. FP+ doesn't guarantee no wait or walk-on.

Another note - I've also heard Disney Dining tell guests that Kona Cafe is a quick service restaurant. That couldn't be more wrong and is easily proven wrong with Google. I wouldn't trust anything a CM tells me over the phone any more than the paper it's written on.

It's also widely misunderstood that an ADR is more like a reserved spot in line than a table actually reserved for that time. Kinda like FP+. FP+ doesn't guarantee no wait or walk-on.
Yes, it's exactly like FP+. Like FP+, you can arrive up to 15 minutes late. Like FP+, they don't state that to you in writing, but it is the practice. Like FP+, once you arrive, they put you in a queue. No difference. They often make you wait 15-20 minutes for a table even though you have a reservation, and they understand when you're 15 minutes late, as well. Over our past several trips with many ADRs for each, we have been late at times, and we've never, ever had a problem being seated. Not at Ohana, not at Be Our Guest, not anywhere. It's policy.

Yes, it's exactly like FP+. Like FP+, you can arrive up to 15 minutes late. Like FP+, they don't state that to you in writing, but it is the practice. Like FP+, once you arrive, they put you in a queue. No difference. They often make you wait 15-20 minutes for a table even though you have a reservation, and they understand when you're 15 minutes late, as well. Over our past several trips with many ADRs for each, we have been late at times, and we've never, ever had a problem being seated. Not at Ohana, not at Be Our Guest, not anywhere. It's policy.
I think the point, though, is that "practice" can be wildly inconsistent and you cannot "enforce" it as a guest. Some CMs may not follow the unwritten policies.

All you have to do is call Disney and you'll get 6 answers from 6 phone CMs. This is a pretty good example of the inconsistency of CM training. It's not better on the front lines at park, restaurant and resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!